Check out these cool Nakamichi TTs for sale

shep

Re: Check out these cool Nakamichi TTs for sale
« Reply #20 on: 2 May 2007, 10:14 am »
Fortunately for us, the "small" guys are alive and kicking. I suppose there's a natural attrition in this business but it does seem a shame that all those very inventive and clever people should either get lost in the shuffle or farmed out to make better microwave ovens. This is getting way off topic I suppose...there were some really far-out designs coming out of Sony (for example) in the 80's. Whatever happened to that creative streak? They were just closed down as non-profit making? I had one of the last of this crop, a CDP, top-loader, the X3000ES. Beautifully built and designed. Sorry I knocked the Nak. deck but if I had 15k I certainly could find better ways to spend it!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #21 on: 2 May 2007, 05:56 pm »
Late '70s-early '80s Sony made the PSX-800 (maybe 8000) TT, direct-drive (of course) total servo-controlled linear-tracking arm that tracked like crazy & held pitch like it was going out of style.  The best TT I've owned, so far out-classed the LP12 its not even funny.  Literally, the LP12 (professoinally setup by the best Linnie in the Bay Area at the time-Acces To Music) sounded like an antique next to it.  Too bad the Sony's chip or servo motor failed-had to toss it.  Dan Wright had his personal circa $20k TT at '07 THE Show.  Very very nice...but I'd prefer the sound of my Sony (while it worked :(). 

The early-mid '70s Sony TCK-640 Mk 2 (I think) was about the best non-pro 7" 1/4-track R-R I've auditioned.  Wish like heck I still had it.  Far quieter & more musical electronics vs. the 4-ch Teac 3340/2340 series.   

My Denon DP59L w/ servo-pivoting arm is the closest I could find to the Sony after it pooped out.  It's darn good.  I wish I purchased one of the heavier arm tubes &  service manual while they were available.  The stooopid mute circuit (when cartridge isn't over the grooves) intermittently mutes one channel when it should not.  I'm hoping its easy to just bypass the whole circuit when I go inside.  I plan to put real rosewood veneer around the cheapo pressed wood cabinet w/ "rosewood" print laminate. 

« Last Edit: 2 May 2007, 06:15 pm by RibbonSpeakers.net »

shep

« Reply #22 on: 2 May 2007, 07:12 pm »
I had forgotten about those Sony TT's. I was thinking about their TAN and Esprit series amps and pre's.
Languishing in closets somewhere?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 2 May 2007, 07:25 pm »
I'm very impressed with the high end statement turntables turned out by the Japanese firms at the end of the 70's and beginning of the 80's. Several times now I have gone fishing for opinions as to how they compare with more modern and expensive tables. No one has offered much in the way of comparison. Apparently the guy who laid out $15K for that NAK agrees with me. And, if you notice, DD tuntables sell very quickly these days. The only exceptions are broken, incomplete, low-end, or obvious scams.
All of the top ones have mass in common so I wonder if that is an indication of something to seek in shopping these. I bet the Sony mentioned above weighed two or three times as much as the Linn.

togil

« Reply #24 on: 2 May 2007, 07:29 pm »
The Nak TT is used by the owner of Zanden Audio, btw

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #25 on: 2 May 2007, 07:37 pm »
Late '70s-early '80s Sony made the PSX-800 (maybe 8000) TT, direct-drive (of course) total servo-controlled linear-tracking arm that tracked like crazy & held pitch like it was going out of style.  The best TT I've owned, so far out-classed the LP12 its not even funny.  Literally, the LP12 (professoinally setup by the best Linnie in the Bay Area at the time-Acces To Music) sounded like an antique next to it.  Too bad the Sony's chip or servo motor failed-had to toss it.  Dan Wright had his personal circa $20k TT at '07 THE Show.  Very very nice...but I'd prefer the sound of my Sony (while it worked :(). 

The early-mid '70s Sony TCK-640 Mk 2 (I think) was about the best non-pro 7" 1/4-track R-R I've auditioned.  Wish like heck I still had it.  Far quieter & more musical electronics vs. the 4-ch Teac 3340/2340 series.   

My Denon DP59L w/ servo-pivoting arm is the closest I could find to the Sony after it pooped out.  It's darn good.  I wish I purchased one of the heavier arm tubes &  service manual while they were available.  The stooopid mute circuit (when cartridge isn't over the grooves) intermittently mutes one channel when it should not.  I'm hoping its easy to just bypass the whole circuit when I go inside.  I plan to put real rosewood veneer around the cheapo pressed wood cabinet w/ "rosewood" print laminate.

the sony psx-800 shows up f/s on ebay every so often.  they go for a few hundred bucks, usually.  here's some info:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyvault/PSX800/PSX800.html

doug s.

shep

« Reply #26 on: 2 May 2007, 07:47 pm »
That Sony "Vault" site is marvelous! Thanks, I had lost the address. Full of rare and wonderful gear.

Toka

« Reply #27 on: 2 May 2007, 07:47 pm »
Those Sony Biotracer arms were sweeeeet.  :thumb:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 2 May 2007, 10:39 pm »
I'm crying....I miss my wittle Sony baby PS-X800 tt...please remove the pics, can't stand it...too painful...that biotracer arm was so ingenious its ridiculous...that table was MUCH heavier than it looked...

The best line in this whole thread was the wish list for pics of past systems...I'd love a picture of my first hi-fi, a portable stereo phono w/ removable speakers, green bullet-shaped Astatic cartridge (remember when RS catalogs had dozens of carts?...heck, remember when RS printed CATALOGS?), the cool tan/white 2-tone cloth cover, brass hardware & corners, loved it...a big book case w/ an EML 101 synthesizer then later an ARP, flanked by Dyna A50s in the corners...Even in a bedroom (largish) downstairs in a sunset disctrict Jr5, the A50s were so power hungry every light in the entire house would dim w/ each down beat when it was cranked (even the meter ligths dimmed in the Phase Linear 400 power amp by Bob Carver)...now that wais FUN!  I still can't believe my parents let me get away w/ it...