sc947-02 group buy

jrebman

sc947-02 group buy
« on: 12 Apr 2007, 06:48 pm »
Count me in.

-- Jim

At this point, I don't know if it is worthwhile, but if there is min orders or other impedances to ordering the tx's, do any of you guys want to get together for a mini-groupbuy on these transformers.  I am willing to pick one up to test out. 
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2007, 04:38 pm by JoshK »

randytsuch

DIY power supply for squeeze box
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2007, 09:14 pm »
Josh
I would go for your mini group buy.

I don't have enough parts in my garage yet, I can still park two cars in it  :D

Randy

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2007, 09:27 pm »
Now you are starting to sound like me.  Ok, it looks as though we have enough people...let me look up the details when I get home to see if the savings are worthwhile. 

MarkM

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2007, 01:31 am »
I would like to get in on this one.  My current setup for powering SB3 is Felicia/ DIY p.s. for SB3 to a modded Lite DAC 60.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2007, 05:24 pm »
OK, so who is going to organize the group buy from ATI Research for these:

http://www.atiresearch-anodized.com/ATI-735U.html

I dont' have my SB in front of me, but it looks like this would be about the perfect size for a SB transplant with the PSU built right in.  We can then have the faceplates (they are easily removeable) sent into Front Panel Express together for laser cutting of the LCD cut out.  We'd be the envy of all the squeeze-a-philes.  :drool:  :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2007, 05:28 pm »
P.S. I sent an email to Scientificonversion asking about pricing.  I'll let you guys know when they reply.

Boris of Audiovista also suggested that his affiliated transformer company could custom design a tx for our needs as well.  He suggested that it might be a little longer lead time. 

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2007, 05:40 pm »
Well, SC responded almost immediately.  It will be $16.50 ea up to 49 pieces.  I think I counted 11 here.  Builder Brad, did you want a couple, as in 2? 

tanchiro58

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2007, 05:41 pm »
OK, so who is going to organize the group buy from ATI Research for these:

http://www.atiresearch-anodized.com/ATI-735U.html

I dont' have my SB in front of me, but it looks like this would be about the perfect size for a SB transplant with the PSU built right in.  We can then have the faceplates (they are easily removeable) sent into Front Panel Express together for laser cutting of the LCD cut out.  We'd be the envy of all the squeeze-a-philes.  :drool:  :lol:

Josh,

I would be the first one. Please count me in. But how could PS and SB fit in there? Thanks.

Tan

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2007, 05:42 pm »
Hey Josh, count me in for two as well. Let me know if you need me to send some cash.

Thanks!

tanchiro58

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2007, 05:43 pm »
Well, SC responded almost immediately.  It will be $16.50 ea up to 49 pieces.  I think I counted 11 here.  Builder Brad, did you want a couple, as in 2? 

Josh,

Did you ask a SC tranny with lead or lead free? I bought only $16.00 each. Do they increase the price? :scratch:

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2007, 05:45 pm »
Scott, two of the digital transformers?

Tan,  So are you volunteering to organize such a group buy?  :lol:  I think that case would be big enough for both, it is 7" deep, 3" high and 6" wide.  I'd take some of the copper sheet I have (copper tiles off of ebay) and create divider to shield the sections from eachother.

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2007, 05:50 pm »
tan,  I asked for a quote for SC947-02.  I did not specify lead-free.  It doesn't look like there is any price break for us ordering as a group.  I don't know if they have a minimum order. 

tanchiro58

« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2007, 06:48 pm »
Josh,

I purchased four of SC947-02 (two each time) and still got them for $16.00 each. They might increase the price since this tx is the most demanding now (it is really good) for SB3 owners. They also sell in US the non lead free but if someone in other country he has to pay more for a lead free one (this is by law). Besides I am not interested in purchasing the SC tx since I thought you have another idea of different tx products. Good luck. Sorry for the inconvenience.

For the SB chassis do you think is anyone interested? Because I am thinking about to build an exotic wooden case. Let me know.

Regards,
Tan

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2007, 07:24 pm »
P.S.S. for best results you should really use one on each of the sending and receiving ends, i.e. one on the output of the SB and one on the input of your DAC.   See reference

Scott F.

« Reply #14 on: 13 Apr 2007, 07:43 pm »
Scott, two of the digital transformers?

Ooops  :oops: I thought you were talking about the cases. I guess that should have been directed to Tan  :scratch:  :thumb:

tanchiro58

« Reply #15 on: 13 Apr 2007, 07:58 pm »
P.S.S. for best results you should really use one on each of the sending and receiving ends, i.e. one on the output of the SB and one on the input of your DAC.   See reference

Josh,

To my understanding for the best results I should connect another SC947-02 to the input of my MHDT Renaissance II DAC but where? To your knowledge should I bypass all the input signal capacitors? I will try this out and let you know. Thanks. 

jrebman

« Reply #16 on: 13 Apr 2007, 08:08 pm »
If there's no real discount on the group buy, then it is probably easier for me to just go ahead and get my own when I'm ready.

Don't think the SB and a PS will fit in that box -- if it does, it will be so tight that even with a shield it will most likely have noise problems... imo.

-- Jim

JoshK

« Reply #17 on: 13 Apr 2007, 08:25 pm »
Jim,

Well, Jon Paul said that technically their min purchase quantity is 25.  It looks as though they have been lax on that.  He said if we get up to an order of 50 that the price drops to $11.50 each.  I think I want 4 myself (one on SB, one on transport, one on each of DEQX and Dac60).

Here is the list I have of those who said they wanted in:
Krikor - 2
jrebman - 3
MarkM - 4
2wo - 2
rotcoddam - 2
Builder Brad - 2
JoshK - 4
CornellAlum - 2
mgalusha - 2
brian t - 4
hanguy - 4
crooner - 2
gordy - 2
dnewcomer - 4
GBB - 2
sts9fan - 1
---------------
total = 42

We would need an average of 3 each just to get to 25. 

Can you guys tell me how many you would want?
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2007, 03:00 pm by JoshK »

tanchiro58

« Reply #18 on: 13 Apr 2007, 09:29 pm »
Josh,

I just talked to Kathy and she said that we are going to order the "lead free" SC947-02 (to comply an oversea transport) from Jon Paul. That is why the price is $16.50 and I got the leaded one $0.50 less.

Tan

CornellAlum

« Reply #19 on: 13 Apr 2007, 09:33 pm »
Add me to the list, I would only need two (in case I fark up the first one) :duh:

Thanks

Daryan