Le Amp 2 final photos

mbarnes

• http://www.norh.com
Le Amp 2 final photos
« on: 27 Jul 2003, 02:59 pm »
I am sorry I have not been able to post for a while. I have been traveling. I was in Japan for a week and I will be in Malaysia next week.  Japan doesn't have many places to access Internet. The places they do have use Japanese Keyboards.  My GSM phone doesn't work in Japan either.  I was pretty much in the dark except for a kiosk I could use at 100 yen for 10 min.  

There were some dealys on Le Amp 2.  Most of these were caused by cost over runs and each delay caused me to dig deeper into my pocket.   I had a particular look and quality I wanted for Le Amp 2.  I didn't want it to look cheap or look like anything that has ever sold for cheap.  

Le Amp 2 has 2 custom molded heatsinks. The pair weigh about 8 pounds.  These are needed because this is really a very powerful amplifier.  

Instead of an LED that resembles the front of a laser pointer, I wanted something that had a warm glow and looked pleasant from the front.  This was particularly difficult to do.  The front uses a laser etched plastic lens.

I opted for a very gentle backlight.  The photos were taken tonight.  I used standard house lighting and took the photos with a Sony DSC S85 digital camera.  No artificial lighting was used an none of the photos have been retouched what-so-ever.  

www.norh.com/leamp2glow2.jpg
www.norh.com/leamp2glowtop.jpg
www.norh.com/leampback1.jpg
www.norh.com/leampfaceplate1.jpg
www.norh.com/leampglowfront.jpg

Woodsea

Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2003, 03:16 pm »
Looks very nice, Mr. Barnes :!:

JackStraw

Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2003, 04:09 pm »
They look great. I think that the last link should be

http://www.norh.com/leampglowfront1.jpg

Good getting some shippable units together. I'd say that you've got some folks eager to try these out.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2003, 07:23 pm »
Oh, boy!  I've been waitin' quite a while to see this!  I've got three units on order; I'll have to email Namphung to confirm that my order is still there after all this time! :wink:  :lol:

Has a shipping date been set yet?  I've waited this long, guess a little longer won't kill me.  But I am getting antsy!

NealH

Re: Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2003, 12:59 am »
We are all eager to receive our LeAmps however, please be sure we get commercialized units even if it takes a little longer.  This means final production and debugged.  I hope I speak for everyone on this.  If not then certainly for myself.

rlinder

Looks like better RCA's were added! (NT)
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2003, 12:59 am »
Looks like better RCA's were added!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2003, 01:39 am »
One more thing; as soon as possible I'd sure like to get the actual dimension of the amp, especially the height and width (uh, in inches instead of mm, please- I'm American  8) ).

mbarnes

Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2003, 03:07 am »
I asked Namphung to measure the amp.  I am in Malaysia.  I will get this information on the web when we get back or post it here.

Andrew JC

Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2003, 09:39 am »
Did the auto turn on/off feature make it to the final product? The pictures look great even better than I expected. I hope it ships soon.

mbarnes

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2003, 10:36 am »
The capability was built into the amplifier but we had to make this an add-on or option to get the unit out. Basicallyk, the auto on feature will require a seperate transformer and DC circuit.  We will probably offer this as an option and modification at some point.  

There is real additonal costs to us and some people didn't want the feature in at all for "audiophile" reasons.

Quote from: mbarnes
I am sorry I have not been able to post for a while. I have been traveling. I was in Japan for a week and I will be in Malaysia next week.  Japan doesn't have many places to access Internet. The places they do have use Japanese Keyboards.  My GSM phone doesn't work in Japan either.  I was pretty much in the dark except for a kiosk I could use at 100 yen for 10 min.  

There were some dealys on Le Amp 2.  Most of these were caused by cost over runs and each delay caused me to dig deeper into my pocket.   I ...

Andrew JC

Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2003, 11:31 am »
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that feature did not make to the final product.

Andrikos

I put my order in today!!
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2003, 07:27 pm »
I'm so excited about this amplifier!
Mr Barnes surely has a winner in his (supremely capable) hands.

I have a question:
On the website (July 2003 News) it is mentioned that for a limited time the Le Amp II will be offered for $195:

http://www.norh.com/news.html

"Le Amp II will retail for $300.00 USD each. For a very limited time, we are introducing Le Amp II at $195.00 each (shipping not included). "

My question is:
I placed my order for one but obviously, I don't know how much I'll be charged. Is it $300+S/H or $195+S/H? If it's at a lower price, I'd like to buy THREE instead of just one to feed my L/R/SUB.

By the way, I'll be buying the 6.9's for L/R and the 6.1's for C/RL/RR by the time my new house is built. I can't wait! :)

I'd appreciate any light on this.
Thank you,
Andreas

mbarnes

Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2003, 11:32 pm »
We had originally sold out of all the first production but there were a few cancelations from people who didn't want to wait.  We will accept orders for the remaining units.  I expect that some more people will cancel when it comes time to charge the card.  

The units we built now are paid for so we don't mind letting them go for the introductory price.

Quote from: Andrew JC
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that feature did not make to the final product.

Monolith

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2003, 12:44 pm »
Quote from: mbarnes
Japan doesn't have many places to access Internet.

When you are in Japan, try finding a shopping district and locating an electronics store.  Typically, on the upper floors in the computing area, they will have several computers linked to the Internet (free access).  Always assume there is a keyboard capture program on any publicly accessible computer and change your password often.

doug s.

• makin' music
Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2003, 01:02 pm »
am i the only one that tinks the "200 watts rms class a/ab" on the front of this amp looks unbelievably tacky?!?  :o  completely ruins an otherwise fine-looking piece of gear, imo...

doug s.

Rocket

hi
« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2003, 02:44 pm »
hi,

not sure if it is tacky but probably a little over stated.  i don't even like to see a small led light as it annoys me when listening to my system at night.

regards

rod

Andrew JC

Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jul 2003, 06:53 pm »
Mr Barnes, Any chance of getting pictures of the inside of the amp along with the dimensions?

wunderlast

Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jul 2003, 07:43 pm »
Quote from: doug s.
am i the only one that tinks the "200 watts rms class a/ab" on the front of this amp looks unbelievably tacky?!?

It would be like putting "450 HORSEPOWER" in big chrome letters on the sides of a Turbo Carrerra...

Andrikos

Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #18 on: 31 Jul 2003, 07:43 pm »
Actually, if I were to "complain" about something it would be the nOrh logo.
on the amp it says: "NORH"
Personally, I LOVE the "nOrh" logo but that's just me :)

Any word on the estimated shipping date?

Andreas

bhiggins

Le Amp 2 final photos
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2003, 08:34 pm »
I'm inclined to agree that the labelling interferes with the aesthetics.  How about getting rid of the model and power rating and simply having the n0rh logo etched on the backlit plate?  I think that this would be cleaner and more elegant.