What VA products would YOU like most to see reviewed?

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
We at Stereomojo.com have received several requests to review Frank's wonderful products, but some have not been specific, just requesting "VA" products.
So help us out and let me know what specific products you would most like to see reviewed.

Thanks!

James Darby
Publisher - Stereomojo.com

TjMV3

Re: What VA products would YOU like most to see reviewed?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2007, 06:51 pm »
What BrianM said.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2007, 09:09 pm »
The UltraDac - definitely.
Why?
Because Frank states it is one of the best products he has ever made.

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2007, 09:53 pm »
what Spirit said.

And/or a comparison of the Omegastar Dac with the infamous Benchmark DAC.

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2007, 11:17 pm »
full tube pre amp please.

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2007, 07:57 pm »
AVAUltraDAC vs Alltman Attraction DAC (full options) vs Scott Nixon USBTubeDAC

AVA Transcendence8 preamp vs Manley Shrimp vs. Modwright 9 vs Hyperion preamp (vs. Placette Passive  :wink:)

Thanks for asking!! I will check out your mag.
Rich

avahifi

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2007, 08:01 pm »
Not to slight Stereomojo at all, but I should let all you guys know that I have a Transcendence Eight preamp out to TAS right now for review (equipped with phono and remote control). I stole the unit from my own home AV system to get this one out.  I don't expect anything from them for several months.

My problem right now is that we are back ordered so many pieces that I simply cannot spare any more units for review until things slow down this summer.

So far this winter, orders are coming in at double the normal rate!  Great for us but it has pushed lead times out to 8 weeks.  :(  Two of my best guys have already been here today (Sunday) with more equipment for us to test and ship early this coming week, and I have taped the Nascar race so I can multitask and write and watch at the same time.

We will get you a review sample Mr. Darby, but likely not before summer takes audiophiles back outside and away from their systems.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2007, 05:21 pm »
Frank,

There's no hurry. As you know from our previous conversations, we work at your convenience. We also don't take "months" to review things. Our stated policy is 30 to 60 days, depending. It will be a priviledge to work with you when the time comes. We do get a lot of requests for reviews of your components.
Any of the models mentioned above would be great - DACs, amps, tube, solid state.

Oh! Speaking of our conversations! i know your views on cables, so I thought I'd share this anecdote with you. A company sent us some rather pricey POWER cables to review. Now, I've been very skeptical of those, too. I plugged in into a $2,000 KT88 integrated tube amp I'm reviewing. I wasn't expecting much, but the difference was very audible and better. So, as I often do, I did a blind test with my wife who is very good hearing things WHEN then are there. I played a very familiar cut for her (in total darkness)  twice, then had her leave the room. I switched out the cable and brought her back in. Played the same cut. She had NO idea what had been changed and it was still dark in the room.

She heard the difference immediately and described it perfectly. We were both amazed. She could not believe it was a power cable.

Is that nuts?

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2007, 05:45 pm »

Oh! Speaking of our conversations! i know your views on cables, so I thought I'd share this anecdote with you. A company sent us some rather pricey POWER cables to review. Now, I've been very skeptical of those, too. I plugged in into a $2,000 KT88 integrated tube amp I'm reviewing. I wasn't expecting much, but the difference was very audible and better. So, as I often do, I did a blind test with my wife who is very good hearing things WHEN then are there. I played a very familiar cut for her (in total darkness)  twice, then had her leave the room. I switched out the cable and brought her back in. Played the same cut. She had NO idea what had been changed and it was still dark in the room.

She heard the difference immediately and described it perfectly. We were both amazed. She could not believe it was a power cable.

Is that nuts?

Oh boy, now you've done it!
I will be interested to read how Frank responds.  He has been very publically vocal about his disdain for audio cables.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2007, 05:47 pm »
BTW - Brian and I don't know each other - both of our "Oh Boy" intro were completely coincidental!

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2007, 09:18 pm »
The first thing I would have done would have been to put the unit under test and the alternative power cables on the test bench and see if I could find ANY real differences that could account to hearing differences.  I bet there would have been some, and that they would not have been expensive to duplicate.  Perhaps as simple as reversed polarity on the wires, or perhaps better shielding that was preventing AC from the power cord from getting into a paralled signal cable (that configuration should have been prevented in the first place).  There are things that can make a difference, but none should be expensive to execute.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

USAudio

« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2007, 04:18 am »
Anyone know what the status of the reviews of Van Alstine components by StereoMojo is?
I checked their website and, unless I missed it, didn't see anything there yet?
Is it still going to happen?

2gumby2

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2007, 01:13 pm »
I am most interested in the Omegastar preamp and Omegastar 440EXH amplifier combination. I guess this would be a very high value combination.

cornelius

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2007, 05:41 pm »
Anyone know what the status of the reviews of Van Alstine components by StereoMojo is?
I checked their website and, unless I missed it, didn't see anything there yet?
Is it still going to happen?

page down:

http://www.stereomojo.com/Rocky%20Mountain%20Audio%20Fest%202007/RockyMountainAudioFest2007Amplifiers.htm

USAudio

« Reply #14 on: 12 Dec 2007, 07:11 pm »
...page down:
http://www.stereomojo.com/Rocky%20Mountain%20Audio%20Fest%202007/RockyMountainAudioFest2007Amplifiers.htm
Thanks cornelius.
Quote from that StereoMojo link:
No review is scheduled, though it is not for our lack of asking. Frank is from the Julian Hirsch school of "Everything sounds the same that measures the same" and "old lamp cord sounds as good as Nordost Valhalla". Frank and I have had some very friendly, spirited debates over our opinions. What's mystifying to us is that we are a value oriented review journal where his products would seemingly be a perfect fit, but he chooses instead to have reviews by TAS - known more for their ultra high-end reviews. The kicker is, TAS does not perform any measurements, which Frank believes are all important. He also places some pretty pricey ads in TAS. Just seems a bit odd.
Interesting.

martyo

« Reply #15 on: 12 Dec 2007, 07:58 pm »
...page down:
Thanks cornelius.
Quote from that StereoMojo link:
No review is scheduled, though it is not for our lack of asking. Frank is from the Julian Hirsch school of "Everything sounds the same that measures the same" and "old lamp cord sounds as good as Nordost Valhalla". Frank and I have had some very friendly, spirited debates over our opinions. What's mystifying to us is that we are a value oriented review journal where his products would seemingly be a perfect fit, but he chooses instead to have reviews by TAS - known more for their ultra high-end reviews. The kicker is, TAS does not perform any measurements, which Frank believes are all important. He also places some pretty pricey ads in TAS. Just seems a bit odd.
Interesting.

I believe this guy misrepresents Frank and the fact that he takes shots at Frank because he prefers his equipment reviewed by another publication says quite a bit to me.

This is my personal opinion, Frank can delete this post if he wants to. I don't put much stock in audio reviews, but USUALLY if TAS likes or recommends a product it IS good, but often quite expensive. On the other hand, reading gushing reviews of products and rooms at RMAF in StereoMojo that I personally visited, some 3 and 4 times because the sound was sooooo disappointing I figured there was a problem with the source or something, leaves them to me without credibility. Does something sound good or not, how would you know.   :dunno:

bhobba

« Reply #16 on: 12 Dec 2007, 08:44 pm »
And/or a comparison of the Omegastar Dac with the infamous Benchmark DAC.

I second that.  Benchmark DAC - infamous?  Technically it looks rather good, and I have not heard anyone say it sounds crap.  Also would like to see a review of the solid state Omegastar amps.  I seem to recall Frank saying the difference between it and the Fet Valve stuff is not the sort of thing that jumps out at you immediately - it needs to grow on you.  Looks a good choice for those, like me, on a budget. 

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #17 on: 12 Dec 2007, 08:52 pm »
Is that nuts?

No its not.  I have heard hard nosed engineers, intially sceptical, report differences in blind tests - eg Bob Smith at SP Tech.  My understanding is Frank still has a challenge for anyone to give them a cable and for him to detect a difference in a blind test.  Might be a an intersting one for Frank to try.  I have never heard a difference.

Thanks
Bill

kbuzz3

« Reply #18 on: 12 Dec 2007, 10:42 pm »
Getting back on topic-id really like to see a review of franks integrated, particularly against some of the cheapo chinese amps which have been getting alot of press. Some of which is deserved and some of which is just cheap/inexpensive

I wouldnt mind hearing things about AVA's top of the line dac as well

dB Cooper

« Reply #19 on: 12 Dec 2007, 11:05 pm »
I'll be happy to review anything he sends me- after a very thorough, exhaustive evaluation that will take quite a long time  aa