What VA products would YOU like most to see reviewed?

BrianM

Re: What VA products would YOU like most to see reviewed?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Dec 2007, 01:59 am »
"old lamp cord sounds as good as Nordost Valhalla"

It's pretty sad that this is what the industry's come to.  One thing you can bank on: the differences in sound, unlike the difference in price, between "Nordost Valhalla" (a gazillion dollars per foot) and lamp cord (10 cents per foot) are dwarfed by the similarities.

At least Frank, being "set in his ways," has the benefit of living closer to reality than the audio reviewer.  At most, he's only 5% wrong, whereas the typical reviewer will always go on and on about "night and day" improvements, and be 95% wrong.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2007, 02:35 am by BrianM »

bhobba

« Reply #21 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:29 am »
At least Frank, being "set in his ways," has the benefit of living closer to reality than the audio reviewer.  At most, he's only 5% wrong, whereas the typical reviewer will always go on and on about "night and day" improvements, and be 95% wrong.

I am not so sure Frank is that set in his ways.  I suspect, like other hard nosed engineers, if he can pick it in a blind listening test he will be a convert.  The poetic gush of some (maybe even most???? - I tend to avoid those anyway) reviewers gets sickening after while, especially those that not only never use blind listening tests, but even worse, proudly claim they never will.

Although I have never heard a difference, the number of people whose technical skills I respect who have, convinces me there is something in it.  But as Dave Eilis eloquently put it - you get much better bang for your buck with better quality diodes.

Thanks
Bill

BrianM

« Reply #22 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:11 pm »
I am not so sure Frank is that set in his ways.  I suspect, like other hard nosed engineers, if he can pick it in a blind listening test he will be a convert.

If the wire in question costs $5000, I suspect not.  No one in his right mind should suppose any change rendered by a wire should rationally cost that much.  Fortunately, much of audiophilia is justified by not exactly being in one's right mind.

bhobba

« Reply #23 on: 13 Dec 2007, 09:31 pm »
If the wire in question costs $5000, I suspect not.  No one in his right mind should suppose any change rendered by a wire should rationally cost that much.  Fortunately, much of audiophilia is justified by not exactly being in one's right mind.

Absolutely

Thanks
Bill