DeanSheen

Re: Products YOU would like to see reviewed
« Reply #61 on: 20 Mar 2008, 07:47 pm »
The DIY Cable Exodus amps.

kenreau

Re: Products YOU would like to see reviewed -
« Reply #62 on: 20 Mar 2008, 11:46 pm »
A couple of different *realworld* interconnects;

1)Ric Shultz of EVS makes a "IC100" interconnect for $95.  A minimal k.i.s.s. design with high quality cable and neck-ed nudy eichman rca's.  I inserted these ic's and was absolutely floored!  I had been using a home brew Kimber silver streak knock off that I had thought was more than reasonable util inserting this IC100.  Highly recommended, regardless of your budget.  For $95 I imagine they are unbeatable.

2)Mapleshade interconnects.  Ideally the Ultrathin and Excalibur ribbon interconnects. 

Thanks.

earwig

« Reply #63 on: 21 Mar 2008, 10:00 am »
The GINI LS35a with the B+ sub modules combo.I thought actually its brilliant how that B+ subwoofer is tower shaped to fit underneath a small 2 way speaker but at the same time its a speaker stand for the little speaker turns it into a kind of 3 way. Even Ab.Sound got its attention on Gini.
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2008, 12:50 pm by earwig »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #64 on: 21 Mar 2008, 11:20 am »
I had LS35a clones in the 70s with matching single woofer matching passive subs intended to be used as stands.  They were Model M's from I. M. Fried, so the subs were bigger (almost 6 cu. ft. internal volume)and mass loaded transmission lines.  The response was rated down to 17 Hz at 114 dB and I believe it.  Of course a number of companies offer matching passive subs that also work as stands.

Frankly $1270 for a pair of passive subs that you can't control without a additional complication/expense and only go down to 35 Hz seems a bit pricey.

earwig

« Reply #65 on: 21 Mar 2008, 12:37 pm »
I do wonder if a couple of towered shaped subwoofer stand like modules could be powered with a transistor amp to each.Then you have high quality 2 way small box speakers on top running on somthing like a small SET low powered tube amp for example.The entire Gini combo with bass modules and cloned LS35a is all for $1190. Perhaps a self powered bass-stand modules with crossover adjust could be an interesting DIY project.
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2008, 01:11 pm by earwig »

PSP

« Reply #66 on: 21 Mar 2008, 01:40 pm »
Channel Islands VDA-2 DAC and the VanAlstine DACs

mcullinan

« Reply #67 on: 21 Mar 2008, 01:48 pm »
Stello DA-100 Signature

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #68 on: 21 Mar 2008, 02:59 pm »
I took it that the price of the sub were per unit, not per pair.

$630/pair is fairly remarkable.  OTOH they only add about 1/2 an octave of bass.

Zero

« Reply #69 on: 21 Mar 2008, 03:13 pm »
Ah, a list full of not-so-very common components.  :D Lovin' the feedback guys. Keep it comin'.  :thumb:

mca

« Reply #70 on: 21 Mar 2008, 04:01 pm »
Ah, a list full of not-so-very common components.  Very Happy Lovin' the feedback guys. Keep it comin'.  Thumbs up

Of the list so far, can you tell us what has been reviewed, or what you plan to review and when we might see them?

prokennex

« Reply #71 on: 21 Mar 2008, 05:38 pm »
I also would like to see a review of the IC 100 interconnects by Rick Shultz of EVS. Can't beat that  price for this simple design.

Frihed91

« Reply #72 on: 23 Mar 2008, 07:54 pm »
Quicksilver mini-mite monoblocks
Any of the Blue Circle Audio SB components (amps, preamps, dac)
Audio Note Lexus interconnects
Maple Tree Audio Ear+ HD head amp.

Zero

« Reply #73 on: 23 Mar 2008, 10:20 pm »
mca,

I'm hoping Mark can chime in as he is the one who is on the up and up.  A few of the suggestions have been or are being explored. Products from Bolder, Peachtree Audio, Jean Marie Reynaud 'Duet', Van Alstine's integrated, various goodies from av123, and Blue Circle Audio - are either in the works or have already been reviewed.

It's also worth noting that it is simply not possible to cover the spread. Many of the manufacturers mentioned in this thread are about as esoteric as it gets! Naturally - these small businesses only have so much time and resources at their disposal - making it difficult to provide a sample for review. Mark and I do keep an eye on this thread and use this feedback (which is greatly appreciated!!!) to get a good idea of what it is everyone wants to read about! We may not always be able to cover a suggested product; but the suggestion nonetheless gives us a general idea of the product type and price class people are interested in.

rydenfan

« Reply #74 on: 24 Mar 2008, 09:59 pm »
I would love to see a pair of Salk speakers reviewed. Ideally the HT3's, but also the SongTowers.

jackman

« Reply #75 on: 24 Mar 2008, 11:07 pm »
I have a suggestion (why don't BESL speakers ever get reviewed?), how about Phil Bamberg's new speakers:

Not cheap, but when you take into account the quality of materials and the unique design, they are great value on paper.  I heard the prototypes (not the finished design) and they were very impressive.  Phil isn't the best marketer on the planet but he knows how to make great sounding speakers and doesn't rely on hype to sell his stuff.  Frankly, I wish he would hype his stuff a little more because maybe a little hype would make someone take notice.  I'm tired of BESL being a well kept secret.  Also, the new cabinets are made in-house and are as good as any I have seen.  Hopefully a legitimate publication like AA will give the new design a shot!

Here is a link.

http://bamberglab.com/s5-tmw.shtml

Cheers,

Jack

PS - my "hype" comment wasn't directed towards anyone in particular. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #76 on: 24 Mar 2008, 11:22 pm »
It would be nice if you could stay true to your name and only review those products which are affordable - whatever that's supposed to mean. :roll:

Personally, I'd like to see more emphasis on entry level gear, especially components that sell for less than thousand dollars.  With speakers the bar could be raised a little higher, but as much as possible, the thousand dollar mark for any single component is a good target.

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #77 on: 26 Mar 2008, 07:26 pm »
Windchaser:
i appreciate your comments.  The term affordable doesn't just mean entry level, but what most of us can purchase without causing divorce.  I believe that when you look overall at what we cover we have stayed true to our mantra.  I have reviewed two DAC's, at $159 & $410 in the past 5 months.  In this coming issue, we have a bargain pair of towers and a reasonably priced receiver.  Within 10 days I should have an "entry level" set of monitors arriving. 

I hope that helps,
Mark

Zero

« Reply #78 on: 27 Mar 2008, 03:37 am »
Just a brief update gents;

There has been a large demand for us to cover the Salk Songtowers. Consider ye request honored - Jim has graciously given us the green light to bring in a set for evaluation.   :thumb:

Photon46

« Reply #79 on: 7 Apr 2008, 03:11 pm »
I'd very much like to see a review of the latest lines of DIY/bulk speaker and interconnect cables that have just come to market from Furutech and Oyaide. Chris Venhaus, Parts Connexion, and several other online vendors are selling these cables now. Their pricing is attractive and the designs look interesting. Not a word can be found about their performance online yet.