Big B, announces availabiity of NEW VSS 15", 120 oz magnet, Bass Driver

John Casler

Brian Cheney just announced that those VMPS owners with LARGER subs, and upgrade to the VSS 15" MegaWoofer for $350.

See below:

Quote from: Brian Cheney
You can upgrade the Larger to a VSS by taking out both drivers, plugging the hole for the 12", and installing the new 120oz magnet 15"  Price is $350 including adapter and shipping.

Eugene2

Is it possible for you to create a plug (sell in a kit) for the 12" and charge appropriately.  I would pay the additional charge.  If not what would be the best way to handle plugging the hole.

RGordonpf

Is it possible for you to create a plug (sell in a kit) for the 12" and charge appropriately.  I would pay the additional charge. 

I second this request.  It would make upgrading sooo much easier for those of use with limited skills and not much in the way of woodworking equipment.

John Casler

Is it possible for you to create a plug (sell in a kit) for the 12" and charge appropriately.  I would pay the additional charge.  If not what would be the best way to handle plugging the hole.

Hi Mike,

The "kit" includes the "adapter plug" for the 12".

John Casler

Is it possible for you to create a plug (sell in a kit) for the 12" and charge appropriately.  I would pay the additional charge. 

I second this request.  It would make upgrading sooo much easier for those of use with limited skills and not much in the way of woodworking equipment.

Hi Rog,

Sorry about the butchering of your question this morning.

I have checked with Brian and the "kit"  includes the MEGA120 15" driver, the "adapter plug" and as an introductory offer, includes free shipping.

RGordonpf

Hi John,

No problem with this morning's butchering.  I didn't feel a thing.  I am amazed that you have time to manage this forum as well as do all of the other things that you do.

I assume we send our check to Big B?

John Casler

Hi John,

No problem with this morning's butchering.  I didn't feel a thing.  I am amazed that you have time to manage this forum as well as do all of the other things that you do.

I assume we send our check to Big B?

Depends on what the "check" is for. 

If it is for managing this forum I can send my address :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If it is for the MEGA120 15" Subwoofer driver, then to B, or your dealer.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
I'd appreciate any owners of the VSS (including our own John Casler) to chime in on the percieved performance difference vs. the "Larger" sub.

The two VSS certainly sounded great at THE Show, but in that size room they were hardly breathing (2k WRMS didn't hurt either, obviously).   

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I am assuming having both 12" and 15" megawoofers active won't work with the existing box and passive (?)  Can we get credit for sending back the 12" megawoofer?

doug s.

• makin' music
so, we plug the hole for the 12" & install the new 15" driver.  we leave the passive 15" in place?  will this "upgrade" work for the early style upright larger subs?  that i have prewiously upgraded to the first megawoofers?   :wink:

what kind of improvement would i be looking at?  frequency response?  distortion?  efficiency?  (my older upright larger subs were rated at 95db/1w/1m.)

hmmm...  seems i should build some boxes for a second pair of subs...   aa

doug s.

John Casler

so, we plug the hole for the 12" & install the new 15" driver.  we leave the passive 15" in place?  will this "upgrade" work for the early style upright larger subs?  that i have prewiously upgraded to the first megawoofers?   :wink:

what kind of improvement would i be looking at?  frequency response?  distortion?  efficiency?  (my older upright larger subs were rated at 95db/1w/1m.)

doug s.

Hi Doug,

I must have missed your questions here.

While Brian is the man to answer this, I think the "Tall Boys" have a nice advantage of greater volume, but they probably should have some tweaks to get the best effects.

Because they have longer spans from joint to joint, they would probably benefit from bracing.

And since they are very easy to work on (in) you might find it a good idea to reinforce the inside walls with rigid floor tiles, and then cover them with BH5 or similar.

I think Bruno actually used "stone" floor tiles on some of his speakers.

As far as what to expect???

OUTPUT and plenty of it.

I think B, posted the xmax somewhere a few weeks ago and the excursion on this woofer is larger than the other woofer drivers.

These should blow your hair back aa
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2007, 02:48 pm by John Casler »

warnerwh

Xmax for this new 15" driver is 18mm! So yes output should be excellent with good linearity. Sensitivity should still be good as you are using the back wave through the passive. Properly setup bass quality should be outstanding. Brian has had superior bass quality for music for a long long time so he has alot of practical engineering practice on making improvements.

doug s.

• makin' music
Hi Doug,

I must have missed your questions here.

While Brian is the man to answer this, I think the "Tall Boys" have a nice advantage of greater volume, but they probably should have some tweaks to get the best effects.

Because they have longer spans from joint to joint, the would probably benefit from bracing.

And since they are very easy to work on (in) you might find it a good idea to reinforce the inside walls with rigid floor tiles, and then cover them with BH5 or similar.

I think Bruno actually used "stone" floor tiles on some of his speakers.

As far as what to expect???

OUTPUT and plenty of it.

I think B, posted the xmax somewhere a few weeks ago and the excursion on this woofer is larger than the other woofer drivers.

These should blow your hair back aa
hi john,

thanks for chiming in.  comments from big b would certainly be nice...

doug s.

tbrooke

Is Brian Selling a larger subwoofer with the 15" in it - or can you get an unpowered VSS?

Tom

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
You can get a Larger converted to VSS for $975 for unpowered, plus $400 for the amp if you need it.  I have lite and dark oak plus cherry finishes available.

Rosewood, ebony and piano black VSS are also in stock.

doug s.

• makin' music
well, it's been almost a month, & i still haven't heard any answers to my questions...   :?

doug s.

doug s.

Brian Cheney

i find the new driver punchier, more pistonic, more solid sounding than the two Megawoofers in the Larger.  You can retain the PR but it needs to be undamped a little (putty removed) since the Qt of the new 15" is lower.

Fs of the new 15" is 20Hz rather than 24Hz of the old 15".

SleeperSupra

Any updates?   :thumb:

I also own the Tall Boy Larger and am interested in this upgrade...  :)

Brian Cheney

No changes, the driver has been in use for 6 months now both in the VSS and updates to the Larger, and works very well.

John Casler

Any updates?   :thumb:

I also own the Tall Boy Larger and am interested in this upgrade...  :)

Hi SleeperSupra,

Welcome to the VMPS Circle.  I was wondering when you might come over after seeing all the nice things you say about VMPS on the AVS forum.

Those "Tall Boy" Larger subs are getting rare, but they are nice.

For yours, all you would need is the 15" ULTRAMegaWoofer kit for $350 that includes the adapter plate/plug to place in the cutout for the 12" driver.

I would also look at the PR and make sure the surround is good, since unless it has been replaced, it is likely at least 8 years old or so.

I have a Tall Boy also for my "REAR" sub, which is behind my seating area firing "away" from me toward the rear wall. 

I think the internal volume of that cabinet is slightly larger than the NEW LARGER which I guess would make it the Larger LARGER :duh:

It was actually the first speaker I purchased from Brian, back when I was a customer, and not a dealer.

I used to see the drawings of the VMPS Towers and the Subs in the back of AUDIO magazine, and "lusted" after the sound without ever even hearing it, and like many "bought" on reputation, and never regretted it, and never looked back. :thumb: