Interesting Developements - GAS Reference Recording

Scott F.

Re: Interesting Developements - GAS Reference Recording
« Reply #20 on: 29 Apr 2007, 05:35 pm »
John, good to finally meet you last night at Tim's. Hope your simulcast for Classic 99 went well this morning. You sure have a beautiful day to broadcast.

Regarding the dates in May this is whats on tap for me. Jeanine makes her Masters walk on Sat the 12th and the following Saturday (5-19) GAS has it's annual Music Caravan. Sunday the 20th my youngest graduates high school. After those dates, I'm completely free. Depending on everybody else's availability, go right ahead and schedule through the dates I'm tied up. Getting as many people there at one time is the biggest focus for us (at least for me).

Oh, right now, Memorial Day weekend is completely open if anybody is up to scheduling it then.

So when is everybody available?

jedi35

« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2007, 05:47 am »
Wow, I had a great time at Tim's on Sat. night. I'd be up for a Memorial Day weekend recital. I don't plan on going anywhere.

Adrian

steve k

« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2007, 12:28 pm »
Memorial Day Weekend sounds good to me too.
steve

Scott F.

« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2007, 02:21 am »
BUMP!

....is anybody out there?  :scratch:

DeadFish

« Reply #24 on: 3 May 2007, 03:14 am »
How quickly time flies....

What day of the weekend you talkin', Memorial Day-wise?
(I almost NEVER get saturdays off).

I really want to hear this, if at all possible.  I'm sure it would improve my mood, musicwise.

I'm a 'follower' right now.  You 'kids' try and work out a date and I'll do my very best to get me there.

Didn't mean to be quiet; I just lurk a lot....

DF

sturgus

« Reply #25 on: 3 May 2007, 03:53 am »
Fellas, I'm out here too. I only check in a few times a week. Sat. are also hard for me to. The holidays will be even harder. Whatever you guys come up with I will try and be there.
Sturgus
« Last Edit: 3 May 2007, 11:22 pm by sturgus »

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #26 on: 3 May 2007, 09:26 pm »
Ditto the last two replies for me too.

Bob

Blackmore

« Reply #27 on: 3 May 2007, 09:41 pm »
I will be here over the weekend (have to play Monday afternoon at 3:00 with Compton Heights)  and am looking forward to it.  Any night is good for me.

jedi35

« Reply #28 on: 4 May 2007, 07:45 pm »
John and I spoke again and I have a bit more information for you all. Apparently, we'll need to shift our focus from Concordia Seminary back to Christ Church Cathedral. The issue of making a recording at Concordia is a bit sensitive. Initially, the idea was to avoid Christ Church because it would hit them with extra expenses for utilities and what not. But, we can make it work if we all chip in and come up with a nice pot to offer them for the use of the building. Scott has mentioned this to me before. It would also ensure that we could come back and do future recordings there. Although the church would not ask for it, we should offer them something in the $4-500 range, and then give Dennis something as well. Dennis isn't crazy about the new keyboard response there, but admits that the instrument itself is more impressive than the one at Concordia. (Oops, BTW the correct spelling for Dennis' last name is Bergin...my bad).

Also, we'll need to shift away from a weekend target because there won't be security available, and I think we'll want that. This means we'll have to find something in the Monday -Thursday late afternoon/evening range. I know that this will make planning harder. I'm out of town every Monday and Tuesday, but could do Wed. or Thursday evenings.

I actually love the idea of doing this in Christ Church. This would be the same organ and room that you've already heard in the Bach recording, so you'll get a good comparison of "live versus recorded''. Let's talk this over and see what we come up with...

Adrian

steve k

« Reply #29 on: 4 May 2007, 08:09 pm »
I like the idea of Christ Church better as well. It's an awesome pipe organ. We do still have our first year GAS dues that we haven't put to use. We've been holding on to it to get shirts made. Maybe if it's OK with the membership, we can put it toward this event and just charge members for shirts later. I think it's a worthy cause and it would get us at least half way there to your target number. Generally Tuesday evenings are bad for me too but Wed or Thursday evenings should work. What say ye?
steve

Scott F.

« Reply #30 on: 4 May 2007, 09:15 pm »
I love the idea of using our dues for the church or Dennis. When it comes to evenings, I'm pretty much open, so you guys tell me when to show up  :thumb:

electricbear

« Reply #31 on: 5 May 2007, 02:45 pm »
Wednesdays don't work for me . I'm quite happy if we use our little pot of gold to pay for this . What better way to spend our funds than on something we are all passionate about. 

jedi35

« Reply #32 on: 7 May 2007, 03:58 am »
OK, what we need now is for more guys to pipe in and tell us if they'd like a Wed., Thur., or if either/neither evening is good. We'll have to choose the day that gets the most votes. Scott, is there a way that we could post a poll, or is a reply in this thread the best way to do it? Maybe you could shake the bushes and get more guys to check this thread, huh? I guess I'm just excited and want to see this project take place sooner than later.

Adrian

Edit: John and I just spoke again, and John had some very good ideas about how we should best proceed. We need to invite Dennis into the process, and get some Wed./Thurs. dates that he can commit to, before we all get settled on any particular date. We don't want all this planning to be a waste. Once Dennis gives us about 3 possibilities, then we can cast our votes and go for the date with the best likely attendance. Also, whatever date we wind up with, we'll want to clear out of the cathedral by 10pm, which is when security leaves. Hopefully, I'll have some dates from Dennis later this week after John contacts him. I'm hoping that Dennis can give us some choices of dates between later this month and the first 2 weeks of June.

« Last Edit: 7 May 2007, 04:45 am by jedi35 »

Scott F.

« Reply #33 on: 7 May 2007, 03:09 pm »
Adrian,

Let me know what John and Dennis say and I'll get on the phone and start polling the guys.

Oh, I got your email about modding your JVC. Looks fairly simple. I'll need to look at it a little closer and get the parts on order then we can set up a date to do the actual mod. Same goes  for your Logan's (I didn't forget, just have gotten pretty busy but I'll make time as soon as I can).

jedi35

« Reply #34 on: 7 May 2007, 04:53 pm »
Thanks Scott!! I'm glad that the JVC mod looks like something you'd want to do. I'll be back in touch as soon as I have more info from Dennis.

Adrian

jedi35

« Reply #35 on: 11 May 2007, 06:42 pm »
More news. I spoke with John again last night and here is the word from Dennis. He's quite busy with several projects right now, and would like more time to prepare a presentation for us at Christ Church Cathedral. Remember that the console action on that instrument is different than what he's used to, and he wants to get comfortable with it again. We can look forward to hearing him there when his schedule allows. However, he would like to play for us on the tracker instrument at First Unitarian Church, located at the corner of Kingshighway and Waterman in the Central West End. This organ is smaller, in order to fit the smaller room size(the sound doesn't have as much decay) but John thinks that there is still a wonderful sense of presence. The organ is 8-10 years old and was made in Kansas by Dobson. The organ sits in front of the church, and the keyboard is totally visible. Dennis has recently played our beloved Bach Toccata and Fugue, and will play that again for us, and perhaps the St. Ann Fugue. We might even be able to hear him play some of his own original compositions. It should make for a delightful listening experience.

Dennis has given us a handful of possible dates that would work for him as well as the church, but right now only one of them might work for the majority of us, based on our early responses. Let's start by targeting that date, and we'll change things around as we need to. The date is Thursday June 14. It would be good if everyone could pipe in and say yes or no to an evening recital for that day. I really hope this date works!! Scott, I might need you to make phone calls.

We may be lucky enough to have a second recording engineer come down and make a sister recording along side John(they work together anyway), using a different set of mikes. That would offer a rare chance to really make some comparisons of recording techniques and equipment. With this church being smaller, we should be able to get away with a smaller donation for the use of the facility, while still taking care of Dennis. No promises, but I have a buddy who owns a High Definition camcorder, and I might be able to get him to come down and tape the even for us. More on that later. Let the games begin.

steve k

« Reply #36 on: 11 May 2007, 08:06 pm »
June 14 is good for me, Adrian. Looking forward to it. Let us know the costs and we'll see what we can cover with our dues and chip in the rest if need be. This is a great opportunity for our group and the two recording approaches should be interesting to hear the results. Just out of curiostiy, does Dennis play any Messiaen?
steve

electricbear

« Reply #37 on: 11 May 2007, 08:26 pm »
The 14th looks good for me.
Thanks

Scott F.

« Reply #38 on: 11 May 2007, 11:35 pm »
The 14th works for me too. I'll get on the phone and let as many people know that I can.

Guys, let as many people locally know about this as you can. It would be great to have a big turnout for the recording session. A big turnout for something like this will travel word of mouth amongst the local musicians. In turn, when we go to make our next recording (Adrian isn't telling all  :wink: ) we will have a better chance of pulling other premiere performers into our sessions for things like small ensembles, string quartets and other more intimate recordings.

Get the word out!

sturgus

« Reply #39 on: 12 May 2007, 12:29 am »
The 14th works for me. I will try and let a few guys know about the session.
sturgus