Poll

Advise for a new open baffle diy guy.

fullrange drivers
0 (0%)
open baffles
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

New member looking for advise on the fullrange open baffle??

phil25

Hello I am from the fullrange driver forum. I was sent over here for better help on my questions with the open baffle guys.  I have tried open baffles with a fostex Fe206e drivers. It was a good sound but, one thing was wrong. The peakness,or brightness, the hotness in the upper midrange. I was using monster cable 12 gage Also using Paul p. anti cables for the hook up from the drivers to the binding post. Also a cheap $100.00 dollar CD player rat shack gold cables and a Harman kardon 2 channel stereo receiver. I loved the sound of surrounding me. So clear as a bell. I loved 90% of it but the brightness again felt like it was ripping my ears off. The bass was quick and clean. I was going to add a subwoofer but, sold them due to this problem. I was going to get the new hemp acoustics fr3 driver but, could not wait another week. I have waited 3 weeks now. I am looking at the visation b200 fullrange drivers. I have read some mix feelings about this drive on this form. Also the open baffle for my fostex was 38" inch's tall by 10" inch's wide and had 2 3/4 of an inch 15- ply-wood glued together. Also had a nice stand for the bottom wood. Some how the pictures got erased from my camera? I do not like the wide and short baffle and the tall and short baffle as well. I am looking for in the middle open baffle. I do not want to put a resister or notch filter in this driver if I can help it. I do love the fullrange sound. I know some of you are so so about it. So here is what I have now so far. A set of cardas long neck binding post. Also their solder as well. Silver sonics t-14 wire for the speakers a.k.a. d.h.labs wire. I plain to get the q 10 wire from my binding post to my 2 channel source. I do not have my wood yet but will be buying it soon. I will be using sold wood around and a marble base. I plain on getting an I-pod soon as well. I do not have any Cd's. Sold them to get these drivers. So if anyone could help me please jump in. I would also like to know if there is a open baffle program to help me do the baffle right. Now last but, not least I would like to know about an open baffle subwoofers? I have not heard one or tryed one. What is the sound to a box subwoofer. Will it shake my walls or I can feel the bass? One more question? Can I use the wet look on the back of the b200 and front. It will be close to a window so sun and light everyday household abuse is in the making. Will it hurt my drivers or help them? Thanks for all your help. Sorry about all the questions. I live in Michigan and the wifey said this will be it for awhile so I better make it count. Thanks again. jm

mcgsxr

Re: New member looking for advise on the fullrange open baffle??
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2007, 08:34 pm »
1 - welcome to AC!
2 - welcome to the Open Baffle Circle!
3 - that is a lot of Q's!
4 - I own b200 Visatons, and continue to use them on open baffle, approaching 2 years.  I use them on a wide baffle, and like the sound, now that I have played around with amps, to find a synergy that works for me.
5 - Ipod should be fine.
6 - amp?
7 - OB subs - I use them exclusively now.  I won't commit to "feeling" the bass, but my benchmark for that is car audio, so compared to other home audio bass experiences, I am getting closer to happy - as an admitted basshead, I think that I might need to move to 4x12 to get the air moving the way I like.  I presently use 2x12, one per baffle, along with the b200.
8 - "Can I use the wet look" - uhm, I don't know what that means.
9 - sunlight and the b200?  Not sure, but they are dyed hemp, so they are pretty tough.  I would bet it will be fine.
10 - width of the baffle will dictate (broad strokes here folks) the balance of the sound.  I would seek to have between 16-20 inches at a minimum, AND use subs.
11 - you don't NEED OB bass, but once you hear it, you might!

That help?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2007, 08:47 pm »
Welcome Paul.
Michigan Huh? you're pretty close to this fellow. Time for an audition?

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/

I've got all the drivers he's designed/sells.
I'll take them to my grave with me.

A few experiments: (I'm a tweeker if you can't tell)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2007, 08:51 pm »
By the way, regarding a program: MJK's quarter wave site:
http://www.quarter-wave.com/Models/MathCad_Models.html

And Mr. Tolvan Data:
http://www.tolvan.com/edge/help.htm

Bob

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2007, 09:01 pm »
I just finished an IB sub in my crawl space. Google "Infinitely Baffled" and go to the site, tons of info and a forum as well. If you have a crawl space, attic, or adjacent closet, may be worth it, I am still blown away by the clarity and detail of the bass I am getting compared to the various sub enclosures I owned :drums: :rock:.

I am almost convinced to pull the trigger on 2 Hawthornes my self. :drool:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2007, 09:12 pm »
Google "Infinitely Baffled"
Cult of the Infinitely Baffled:
http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/index.cgi

:thumb: Amen Brother!!

Bob

phil25

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2007, 09:27 pm »
1 - welcome to AC!
2 - welcome to the Open Baffle Circle!
3 - that is a lot of Q's!
4 - I own b200 Visatons, and continue to use them on open baffle, approaching 2 years.  I use them on a wide baffle, and like the sound, now that I have played around with amps, to find a synergy that works for me.
5 - Ipod should be fine.
6 - amp?
Well an older mcintosh if I spelled it right 2300 2 channel stereo.
7 - OB subs - I use them exclusively now.  I won't commit to "feeling" the bass, but my benchmark for that is car audio, so compared to other home audio bass experiences, I am getting closer to happy - as an admitted basshead, I think that I might need to move to 4x12 to get the air moving the way I like.  I presently use 2x12, one per baffle, along with the b200.
8 - "Can I use the wet look" - uhm, I don't know what that means.
9 - sunlight and the b200?  Not sure, but they are dyed hemp, so they are pretty tough.  I would bet it will be fine.
10 - width of the baffle will dictate (broad strokes here folks) the balance of the sound.  I would seek to have between 16-20 inches at a minimum, AND use subs.
11 - you don't NEED OB bass, but once you hear it, you might!

That help?

phil25

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2007, 09:29 pm »
Sorry no attic right now. Adding on to my house a 2nd level. Sounds really nice.

I just finished an IB sub in my crawl space. Google "Infinitely Baffled" and go to the site, tons of info and a forum as well. If you have a crawl space, attic, or adjacent closet, may be worth it, I am still blown away by the clarity and detail of the bass I am getting compared to the various sub enclosures I owned :drums: :rock:.

phil25

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2007, 09:33 pm »

Well I looked to see were he is from no info? Were is this company at? How do I get a hold of him to listen to his speakers before I buy. Thanks phil

P.s. I live in canton michigan.

Welcome Paul.
Michigan Huh? you're pretty close to this fellow. Time for an audition?

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/

I've got all the drivers he's designed/sells.
I'll take them to my grave with me.

A few experiments: (I'm a tweeker if you can't tell)

JohninCR

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2007, 10:22 pm »
Phil,

FE206's work fine without a box.  I used one of my pairs on a minimal baffle for about 9 months.  The baffle itself isn't crucial, because their Qts is so low that they simply won't make satisfying bass alone.  That means a bass augmentation driver is required.  Don't worry, you still retain the fullrange sound where it is important.  The 206 is actually easier to implement another driver with than the B200, because the 206's response is flatter down to 200hz or so where the bass driver fills in.  I ran mine with just a coil on the woofer as my only XO component.

phil25

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2007, 10:27 pm »
I understand what you are saying. I have already sold them a long time ago. I was told because they have a low qts below 50 that it will not work in a open baffle. Thanks for the info I will think about it. Also I hear that the b200 is better built and is made with a higher fullrange driver in mind. Thanks again. Phil

Phil,

FE206's work fine without a box.  I used one of my pairs on a minimal baffle for about 9 months.  The baffle itself isn't crucial, because their Qts is so low that they simply won't make satisfying bass alone.  That means a bass augmentation driver is required.  Don't worry, you still retain the fullrange sound where it is important.  The 206 is actually easier to implement another driver with than the B200, because the 206's response is flatter down to 200hz or so where the bass driver fills in.  I ran mine with just a coil on the woofer as my only XO component.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2007, 11:42 pm »
Sorry, I did not see the answer to my question around what amp you use?

If I were starting out, I would take a long hard look at the Hawthorne's.  15 incher, likely to perform very well with limited power, and on a relatively small baffle.  Lots of happy folks with those drivers.

I won't sell my b200's to buy a pair, but when the $$ comes along, I will find a set of those Silver Iris' for sure, they look like fun...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2007, 01:06 am »
Phil, if you go to "Shop online", then to "Contacy us" You'll find the address.
http://hawthorneaudio.com/

You can also check out the forum, and PM him there. Lots of good ideas for OB stuff:
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forum/

Canton MI to Marshal MI is one hour, twenty minutes (by Mapquest directions). 80 miles.

Bob

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2007, 01:47 am »

Well I looked to see were he is from no info? Were is this company at? How do I get a hold of him to listen to his speakers before I buy. Thanks phil

Phil,

Darrel hawthorne lives near Battle Creek. I live near near Mt. Pleasant and have several Hawthorne Audio speakers here.

Hawthorne Audio is at http://www.hawthorneaudio.com

Dave :)

phil25

« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2007, 03:26 am »
So when I am ready to buy can I come listen to your speakers?

Phil, if you go to "Shop online", then to "Contacy us" You'll find the address.
http://hawthorneaudio.com/

You can also check out the forum, and PM him there. Lots of good ideas for OB stuff:
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forum/

Canton MI to Marshal MI is one hour, twenty minutes (by Mapquest directions). 80 miles.

Bob

phil25

« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2007, 03:27 am »
I would love to come over and here them before I buy anything.

Phil,

Darrel hawthorne lives near Battle Creek. I live near near Mt. Pleasant and have several Hawthorne Audio speakers here.

Hawthorne Audio is at http://www.hawthorneaudio.com

Dave :)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2007, 10:06 am »
I'm from Michigan (about half way between you and Dave) and heard the Hawthorne very early on.  Even with the previous crossover design and relatively small baffle they did full (if not deep) like no other OB I've ever heard.  Very well built, great content value.  The 6 wpc amp I had at the time had no problem filling Dave's 12 ft x 20 ft living room with a nicely balanced sound.  I thought they lacked detail compared to my single driver speakers (that cost 3 times as much), but that fits very well into the whole dipole soundstaging "scene".  It's been a couple of years since hearing them and I owe them another listen.  Realize that these are two-way coaxials (you polled about single driver vs. OB).

Darrel has a "real" job besides audio, but may be available for a listen.  Dave is more accessible, but is out on weekends with his band "Peatbog".  Darrel is relatively new to audio, but Dave has messed with it for decades (not that he's old, at least my my standards  :lol:) and redesigned Darrel's crossover.

IMO most drivers that are advertized as "full range" are better described as "extended range".  The Fostex FE206E, like many extended range drivers are really mid/tweeters, have little bass and a strong midrange emphasis to the point of making them fatiguing.  The best I've heard the FE206E sound were in 0.75 cu ft bass reflex cabinets with a sub.

Closets with sliding doors (slamming doors can blow out cones), unused bedrooms/basements, and crawl spaces all make for good infinite baffle installations in our cold climate.  Attics rarely work well as they let too much heat/cold through and would be hard on the drivers.  Garages (or going through an outside wall) doesn't work in Michigan either due to the cold.

goo

• Here’s another fine OB you've gotten us into
« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2007, 12:19 pm »
Phil25
If I may add my $0.02
I have both the B200's and the SI's. The only conclusions I'll stand by are: The B200's need help around 150hz and are a lot more difficult to get right. However, I'm glad I have them, and it was worth all the effort to get right. The SI's are breaking in right now. I can say that some recordings that are rather harsh and/or congested seem to open up a lot more with the SI's. Oh, If I had it to do all over again I would have added a pair of auggies to the B200's instead of the ALpha 15's. The reason I am not is  :( My audio budget is spent for now. Time to build more and talk less
hope this helps, I think you'll be happy with both of them aa
q

MJK

• Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2007, 07:39 pm »
goo,

Oh, If I had it to do all over again I would have added a pair of auggies to the B200's instead of the ALpha 15's.

Why Auggies instead of Alpha 15s?

Martin

goo

• Here’s another fine OB you've gotten us into
« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2007, 08:16 pm »
Hi Martin,
I think the main issue is the size of the baffle I went with at first. Not in anyway meaning that it was a bad idea. I haven’t given up on them yet. I plan to stiffen and separate the baffles better.
Sorry about not making that clear. I lost your information I while back so I may have made the baffles for the Alpha15’s too narrow. It seems no matter how many times I cut the same piece of wood it doesn’t get any longer :scratch:
q
 8)