Spring Clean -- I must dispose thousands of LPs. Help!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
I can't put it off any more.  Those of you who have shown interest in going through my discard pile, let me know now or forever hold your peace.  In a couple of weeks, I will make one more passage through the boxes and then they will go to record exchange.  I am working on a deal where they take the truck load for a store credit.  Some of the records are good stuff that I already have copies. Some are pure disco/dance trash.  Others are good stuff that I don't care for.  For example, Chicago, Leon Russel, Neil Diamond, Elton John, HA &TB to name a few.  There is a lot of good stuff.  Did I mention classical and opera as well?  Unfortunately I can only keep 3k and the rest has to go.  I am not kidding.  The wife has finally put her foot down.  They gotta go.

gooberdude

Re: Spring Clean -- I must dispose thousands of LPs. Help!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2007, 07:24 pm »
where's your list???

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2007, 07:30 pm »
Unfortunately I can only keep 3k and the rest has to go.  I am not kidding.  The wife has finally put her foot down.  They gotta go.

Not fair!  Isn't there something you can leverage / bargin with her in this situation?  How many pairs of shoes does she have?  Perhaps she could free up a some valuable closet space by thinning out her wardrobe so you can store some of your LP's?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2007, 07:38 pm »
where's your list???

I don't want to type over 2k titles if I don't have to.   :oops: 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2007, 07:41 pm »
There is a bunch of 78's as well.

gooberdude

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2007, 07:48 pm »
you're being lazy!    just kidding.

i've been dumpster diving too much lately anyhow, have 200 or so dirty
and well played LP's i haven't even listened too...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2007, 07:57 pm »
Not fair!  Isn't there something you can leverage / bargin with her in this situation?  How many pairs of shoes does she have?  Perhaps she could free up a some valuable closet space by thinning out her wardrobe so you can store some of your LP's?

She has been very cool about all this.  She is bit of a Birkenstockish green earth vegetarian who has less apparels than I do.  So I can't blame her in this one.  I am a bit of a hoarder, really.  :oops:  Extra records are what am giving up for Lent.   :|

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2007, 08:03 pm »
Got any black sabbath, jimmy or blues in there?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2007, 08:13 pm »
Got any black sabbath, jimmy or blues in there?

Got some Hendrix, not sure about BS.  I will check and see if any blues are there -- I keep most. 

SWG255

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2007, 08:27 pm »
I just made a couple phone calls, if there's some interest, I'll get back to you. I figure I can drink while you guys paw through old vinyl! :)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2007, 08:37 pm »
I just made a couple phone calls, if there's some interest, I'll get back to you. I figure I can drink while you guys paw through old vinyl! :)

Thanks,

I figured Scott might want to take a look.  Tell him I got a brand spanking new Ruby3 to check out. 

Soundbitten

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2007, 12:03 am »
There's this dude in NYC that melts down old vinyl and makes bracelets from it . I heard he was making a killing .

china

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2007, 01:10 am »
Since I cannot send you a "PM" as your box is "full"!!!!

How much for everything??  I have a new friend here in the City of Changsha of Hunan Province. That is the "unofficial" head or president of the "Audiophile Club".  If you think "Americans" are fanatical about audio. Then you have not seen anything!!! 
  The only problem is that they are on very limited budgets. But if the price is right!! Then he might just go take a "second mortgage", or as in his case. A third or fourth mortgage.

As always, all the best. From China!!!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2007, 01:18 am »
woodsyi, if only I still lived in DC.....  8)

Good luck on the off-loading....sometime ya' just gotta' let 'em go

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2007, 11:25 am »
Man, I am SOOOO in the wrong continent!! :lol:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2007, 12:58 pm »
Since I cannot send you a "PM" as your box is "full"!!!!

How much for everything??  I have a new friend here in the City of Changsha of Hunan Province. That is the "unofficial" head or president of the "Audiophile Club".  If you think "Americans" are fanatical about audio. Then you have not seen anything!!! 
  The only problem is that they are on very limited budgets. But if the price is right!! Then he might just go take a "second mortgage", or as in his case. A third or fourth mortgage.

As always, all the best. From China!!!

China,

I will consider swapping LPs for some electronics you got.   aa 

The real issue is shipping.  I will end up taking over your friend's first mortgage if I ship all these to China.  :duh: Now if you are in the states and you want to take some back with you, you are welcome to come by.

Berndt

« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2007, 01:54 pm »
Man, I am SOOOO in the wrong continent!! :lol:

I'm sooo on the wrong side...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2007, 02:22 pm »
Bill,

Take a drive.  Pick up a couple of things from VMPS for me and you can have all the records.  We can compare your amp with others together.  I got plenty good stuff to drink.  What do you say? aa

china

« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2007, 05:05 pm »
Woodsyi,

Your are a smooth talker!!!  That is for sure!!!  OK!!  What electronics are you thinking off!!! 

Remember!!  I am just a poor poor poor music lover and audiophile!!!  In fact!!!  I am on my third mortgage.

Yes!!  The shipping is a major hurdle. Way too expensive by air and too time consuming by sea. With USPS, I shipped to mainland China some sixteen rather heavy and large box's. Some made it OK!!  Some looked to be in terrible shape from handling and one box
according to official records. Had just reached the east coast shipping port in December for a box mailed in May of last year. It is safe
bet that one is lost forever.

I have utilized DHL for shipping from China to the United States and it works out to be about four or five dollars a pound by air with a delivery factor of about five days.

If you are paid up front for shipping. You would have not one concern!!  Except the packing!!  Eight box's at two hundred each. They will never go for it. I can just see the unbelievable looks of pain on the faces. But who knows!!  Like I said!!  There is a "passion" here for music. But at what price!!  I do not know!!!

Email me at admin@mingyiaudio.com with some particulars of the music that you have and at what price!!  We might be able to pick a few for for some type of trial run and see if there really is some interest or if it is just some smoke??

Incidentally!!  I do know that the Chinese Audiophile is looking for good used equipment and will swim any icy river in winter to get it!! Just depends what it is??

As always, all the best. From China!!

Cellist

« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2007, 06:44 pm »
 :icon_lol:
Have you thought about a "ball park" figure (per hundred, per twenty, etc)? Also, where abouts in the mid-atlantic are you?

Fritz