Another random thought....

JoshK

« on: 22 Jul 2003, 06:20 pm »
I was thinking a bit about speaker cables and jumpers, especially in regards to VMPS speakers.   Am I missing something or wouldn't this be as if not more ideal than seperate speaker cables and jumpers?

Amp End U___________________________U____U  Speaker End

Where U represents a spade and _ represents the wire.  The middle spade is terminated both the the speaker cable and to the jumper.  This would be 4 less spades and would seem to provide a good mechanical bond.

Thoughts?

Pez

« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2003, 01:55 am »
It seems to me that having one cable limits current delivery a bit.  Plus bi-wire (although I haven't heard a single theory which I find acceptable) sounds better to my ears the jumper'd.

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2003, 03:53 am »
I would say save your $ until you can bi amp. There are great deals on Audiogon and this will make a big difference.

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2003, 02:10 pm »
Hello Josh,

I really don't see much advantage to your diagram. You would be eliminating one pair of spades per channel, but you would be dealing with a thicker wire bundle going into the one pair of spades left. The mechanical connection of crimping the larger bundle of wires may not hold as well over time, if the cables are moved around a bit. I think for ease of hook-up the jumper and speaker wire run would be the better.

You can obtain a VERY good, tight connection with spades and binding posts when using a 1/2 " nutdriver to tighten everthing together. I have seen more than a few systems where the connection on back of the speakers is just finger tight. You will get much better sound with two spades really tight than one spade that is loose.

I have no idea what Pez is talking about. That's okay as he rarely knows himself :lol:  The amount of current being able to be delivered to the speakers will not change too much with larger gauges of speaker wire. the 11.5 awg of the NITRO is plenty to handle the current output of ANY amp. You might want to ask Jason what is the gauge of the cable HE is using on his subs and what he thinks of the sound compared to his old cables :wink:

I do agree absolutely that bi-amping would be the best way to use the RM-40s. I also fell that an active crossover would be a good thing. This may be a bit hard to find a high quality active unit with the 6 db slopes of the passive. The ultimate pure signal path would be to remove the passive crossover components from the speakers and wire them direct to the amps outputs.

But then you could never go back.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2003, 03:17 pm »
Thanks Wayne,

I actually thought of the crimping problem but was just wondering your thoughts.  I am currently building a pair of remote sense speaker cables and was thinking of adding a jumper to the end this way.  I think you are a great designer who makes wonderful cables so I thought I would bounce it off you.

Cheers,
Josh

Pez

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2003, 04:16 pm »
Ok Wayne,  

What I was refering to was the fabulous dynamics we achieved experimenting with bi-wire at Tysons house.  It was as if more current was being delivered to the speakers. I'm not talking about measurements. :roll: