720p PJ recommendations

PaulFolbrecht

720p PJ recommendations
« on: 1 Mar 2007, 03:44 am »
I'm getting ready to buy a projector and am heavily leaning to the Sanyo PLV-Z5.  Anyone care to challenge that?

From what I read, it's quiet, looks great, is flexible with placement, and can now be add for $1300 after rebate.

Big Red Machine

Re: 720p PJ recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2007, 01:56 pm »
I hear good things about it.  I'm going to 1080p soon.  Upgraditis is the only reason really.  My 720p is pretty darned good but I want it all and to have 1080p from the HD DVD reach its full potential.

Have you checked out the $3000 and under PJ thread at AVS?  Lots of happy Panasonic owners as well.  Maybe can't reach your price, but pretty darn close with rebates.

Pete

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2007, 02:21 pm »
You can also buy the Espon 720p or 1080p projectors, which are getting good reviews, but you have to buy them from overseas (hivizone) with an international warranty.  Epson for some reason has the exact same US version selling at double the cost.  The 720p Epson is as bright as the Panasonic, but supposedly has a better picture. 

The best reviewed 720p projector (in the cheaper class) is a Samsung, but it has some startup problem which may or may not have been fixed.  You can get it for under 2k. 

I'm also looking to go 720p, although the AVS folks are really playing up the new JVC 1080p machine, but you can buy two Epson 1080p projectors for the same price (or one Epson and a really nice screen).  So, I'm darned confused.

LadyDog

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2007, 02:49 pm »
The Sanyo is certainly a good one.  Others to consider, Epson 400 and Panasonic 100u as some have already mentioned.  And if you can live with dlp and some placement issues, I'd also throw Optoma HD70 and Mits 1000u. 

Both the dlp projectors can be had for under $1k. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2007, 02:51 pm »
Lots of talk about the JVC.  I'm on the preorder, but not sure I want to spend that much.  Prices sure are driving down.  Not even sure I could get a decent price for my used PJ that was $4k 2 years ago.  I did get a hivizone quote on Epson and I think the Mits.  Very good prices.  Have considered a Pearl as well, but it seems to be the redheaded stepchild now with all the RS1 talk.

Can't quite get a 1080p for the $1500 price range yet.  But you can in the $3k area.  Not sure we are really helping Paul. :scratch:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2007, 03:08 pm »
Paul, I own a Z2 and LOVE it.
Although I've never seen a Z5, I'd vote for that one (Almost got a Z5 for myself recently).

Bob

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2007, 07:43 pm »
What's the model # of the new Epson 1080p?

I had ruled out DLP due to placement issues. 

Also, incidentally, this is for a dedicated room in the basement that will always be pitch dark, so brightness is not a big factor.

My budget is $1500 tops. 

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2007, 09:43 pm »
See here:

http://www.hivizone.com/local-shop/projector.htm

The EMP-TW700 (720p) is $1,4XX
The EMP-TW1000 (1080p) is $2,8XX

I think there might be some shipping and also some import fees.  However, the equivalent EMP-TW810 720p projector (the US version of the 700) sells for about 3,000.

jermmd

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2007, 10:16 pm »
Lots of talk about the JVC.  I'm on the preorder, but not sure I want to spend that much.  Prices sure are driving down.  Not even sure I could get a decent price for my used PJ that was $4k 2 years ago.  I did get a hivizone quote on Epson and I think the Mits.  Very good prices.  Have considered a Pearl as well, but it seems to be the redheaded stepchild now with all the RS1 talk.

Can't quite get a 1080p for the $1500 price range yet.  But you can in the $3k area.  Not sure we are really helping Paul. :scratch:
I'm in the same boat and I really love my Panny 900! I'm not sure why I'm thinking of spending another $5k to upgrade something I'm totally satisfied with.

My advice is buy a relatively new used 720p projector for $1k or less and wait for the next generation  1080p high contrast projectors to fall below $2k in price before upgrading. I expect these very high end projectors will be at the lower price within a year.

Andrikos

« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2007, 10:30 pm »
If you're dead set on buying a 720 projector now I'd highly recommend buying USED.
The 1080 PJ market is extremely hot right now and eager buyers are dumping their 720 machines for cents on the $.
This plus the fact that you can now buy a new 720 projector for half the money and double the specs of last year's batch.

If I were you, I'd buy a nice used 720 machine for <$500 and wait for the 1080 market to settle at under $2k with twice the specs of today's. Then I'd pull the trigger.

1080 is kind of a "final destination" for at least the next 5-10 years so a nice 1080 machine should tide you over for the next few years.

My 3+ year old 720 DLP retailed for $10k (I bought under cost) and is now worth maybe $750-$1,000.
If you buy a used LCD projector, make sure you buy a low hour machine. You don't want the blue channel to crap out n you.

JaceTheAce

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2007, 01:33 am »
I would avoid digital altogether and go with a CRT projector. For $1300, you can have yourself a nice 1080p PJ.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2007, 04:02 am »
I would avoid digital altogether and go with a CRT projector. For $1300, you can have yourself a nice 1080p PJ.

Now there's something I hadn't considered.  I look into that.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2007, 05:05 am »
CRT might work for you since you have total light control.  You'll need a sturdy spot to mount it if you hang it as they're pretty heavy.  Brightness won't be in the same league as a digital PJ but you'll get a great picture and terrific blacks.

I'm in a similar position myself.  I'm upgrading from my 480P Optoma H31 PJ but I don't wanna spend much over $1500 on 720P, what with cheaper 1080 prices around the corner.  The Mitsubishi HC3000 is the front runner for me; good color accuracy, good contrast and probably the best digital black level you're gonna find short of a DarkChip 3 DLP.  If you really want LCD, I think the Epson Cinema 400 is probably the best deal out there.  They make the panels that Sanyo uses, but they apparently do a better job implementing them.  Epson has a fantastic warranty and reputedly makes the most reliable machines out there.  I've considered the 400 myself, but since I can't see RBE under any normal viewing conditions and don't need the setup flexibility, I think DLP offers the best performance for money.  Especially in the area of black level (my personal fetish :lol:). 

Used is probably a decent option; I actually boughy my Optoma used.  But realistically good 720P is cheap enough that I'd rather buy new and get a warranty.  YMMV.

Lastly, what I really want is Mitsubishi's new HC3100- it's a DarkChip 3 and possibly one of the best 720P machines available if the reviews can be trusted.  Unfortunately it's not available in North America (at least not yet- no word on when or if it's coming).

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2007, 07:40 pm »
3 months later and I haven't bought yet - still planning on going ahead with the HT room, possibly next month (it's time rather than money).

Any new recs from anybody? 

jermmd

« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2007, 07:53 pm »
Would you believe I'm still on the waiting list for the JVC? That's alright though because I'm in no rush. My Panny puts out an amazing picture. I don't know if it's because of right-on calibration or my HTPC settings but the picture is really outstanding. I don't know if it's realistic to think the JVC is going to show me something significant that I've been missing.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2007, 07:56 pm »
I still love my Z2 Paul.
I kinda hope it blows up soon, that way I can justify to the wife the purchase of a Z5! aa
(That's upgradeitus speaking there though)

Bob

minotaur

« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2007, 01:26 am »
Another one to consider is the Sharp XV-12000MkII. It's going for 2k at a store that's unmentionable on avsforum(Costco :) The main reason I'm looking at it for a new CIH setup is because it has a full color management system for calibration to proper standards. Some of the caveats are noise and width of the unit, as well as a long throw. Of course, there's a 90day return so that you can see for yourself how it stacks up.

-mino

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2007, 03:59 am »
I sold my Optoma a month and a half ago and haven't replaced it yet...right now I have no PJ and no TV of any kind. :thumbdown:  I don't watch TV anyway but I'm itching to watch some movies again.  My new place has sufficient space for a dedicated HT (pictures posted elsewhere), so it's time to buy another PJ.  Right now I'm leaning towards buying my first CRT- I should know within a few days. aa

nicksgem10s

« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2007, 04:08 am »
I picked up the Mits HC3000 this past Thanksgiving.  It is an incredible machine and doesn't have me drooling over the 1080p machines and I am always on the latest and greatest kick. 

It allows for an awesome movie or sporting event viewing experience and is absolutely beautiful on blu ray via the PS3.

TVs seem really pricey when you consider what is available on the HD projector market. 

I will be installing the Mits HD1000 in my mother in laws condo on Saturday and I can't wait to get it set up for her.

Have fun deciding!

gprro

« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2007, 09:29 am »
Another one to consider is the Sharp XV-12000MkII. It's going for 2k at a store that's unmentionable on avsforum(Costco :)
-mino

Haha, F avsforum. I almost got booted a year ago because I brought up the subject. Anyone want to start a running whats the best PJ at what price thread and were to buy it list, and update it? For what it's worth I'm running a infocus IN72 and pixel mapped bravo d1. As long as I sit 2x screen width I havn't seem many digital Pj's under 3K look as good with dvd's. Got it for 389 after rebate with waranty.