720p PJ recommendations

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: 720p PJ recommendations
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2007, 04:01 am »
If I was getting another DLP I'd definately go with the Mits 3000 right now.  I've almost bought it several times, but if my courage & resolve hold up I'll be getting a CRT. :)

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2007, 12:26 am »
What type of CRT, Rob?  This is an option I've never really explored.

Never heard of the Mitts, either..

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2007, 03:06 am »
The Mitsubishi HC3000 is one of the best under $2k 720p digital PJs out there.  It's towards the end of its life cycle (has actually been replaced overseas by the '3100 which will not be sold in North America :scratch: :thumbdown:) but is still one of the very best.  It's got great blacks due to having no clear segment in the color wheel and good out of the box color.  It's been raved by every webzine out there- check out this review, for a sample.

I'm actually negotiating on a nice Barco 701, also considering a couple machines that Curt Palme has for sale.  The 701 I'm looking at has component inputs and needs no transcoder for regular DVD or HD stuff over component.  It's "only" got 7 inch guns but will resolve 1080i or 720p fully.  While I've seen well set up CRT FPTVs I've never owned one myself.  Digital is certainly much easier, but for absolute performance there's still nothing that can touch CRT.  Well, certainly nothing I could afford!  If you offered my a 3 Chip DLP or the new JVC d-ILA for the price of the HC3000 I'd happily compromise. :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2007, 04:36 am »
Yeah- it looks like the Barco will be mine!  Oh yes, it will be mine... aa

ctviggen

« Reply #24 on: 29 May 2007, 11:35 am »
For a long time, I thought of going to a CRT.  However, I think I'd go digital in my situation, because of the negatives of CRT, which include brightness (they're not that bright), physical size, and complexity of installation.  Supposedly, you're always working on a CRT if you want the best picture.  Having said that, I have a RPTV and haven't messed with it in a while, though I do see that it needs to be worked on.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 30 May 2007, 03:02 am »
For a long time, I thought of going to a CRT.  However, I think I'd go digital in my situation, because of the negatives of CRT, which include brightness (they're not that bright), physical size, and complexity of installation.  Supposedly, you're always working on a CRT if you want the best picture.  Having said that, I have a RPTV and haven't messed with it in a while, though I do see that it needs to be worked on.

From reading a lot on the AVS & Curt Palme forums, and actually speaking to some CRT owners, I'd say the 'constant adjusting' thing is mostly a myth.  Some models need more work than others (eg it's a bit of work keeping an Ampro running, some say) but most don't need much.  While they're physically larger & heavier installation shouldn't be that different.  Of course, we'll see in a couple weeks! :lol:  Maybe I'll be kicking myself, but I just have to see what all the fuss is about. :)

Btw, the guy I'm buying the Barco from has replaced it with a Mitsubishi HD1000, and so far he isn't very pleased at the swap. :wink:

ctviggen

« Reply #26 on: 30 May 2007, 03:33 pm »
It could definitely be a myth.  Plus, nothing produces blacks like a CRT.  I'm still debating as to whether or not to get a front projector.  I originally had planned a large "renovation" (i.e., taking down drywall to run the projector wires, etc.), but I think what I might do is get a reasonably priced 720p projector and cheap pulldown screen.  I would table-mount the projector and run the wires over the concrete floor and under a rug.  This way, I could ease into front projection without breaking the bank or taking a ton of time.

robert1325

« Reply #27 on: 30 May 2007, 04:15 pm »
I made a 80inch fixxed DIY screen,    looks very nice with the black borders. velour.   

Payed about 230 dlrs for the wood and the screen itself (bought it from a HT builder)

My PJ is an infocus 4805,  very nice SD PJ with great colors. You can get them fairly cheap these days.    I'll upgrade to HD when it's <500 dlr.s

Ignore my speakers,  these where just temporary baffles

LadyDog

« Reply #28 on: 30 May 2007, 04:33 pm »
For those interested, and while only a SD projector, Circuit City has the Optoma DV10 on sale with a screen for $499.  A great way to get into another one of these crazy hobbies.

The projector had a dvd player and speakers built in, so it is very portable.  We probably use ours more than the 720 projector we also have.  Take it friends houses, outside for a neighborhood kids drive-in movie threater, ect.  Put's out a pretty decent picture too.

Regards,
Jeff

ctviggen

« Reply #29 on: 30 May 2007, 04:38 pm »
Very nice.  I was thinking of going the DIY route, but my room is in the "basement" of a raised ranch.  What this means is that the two walls suitable for a screen either have a sliding glass door or a "half wall".  Basically, a raised ranch (if you're not familiar with the term -- and I wasn't until I came out to CT) has a partial basement.  The lower floor includes this partial basement.  The concrete for the partial basement comes up about 3-4 feet.  Above this is the walls of the house.  So, there's about 4 feet of about 2-2.5 feet thick concrete portion, which has a drywalled wall placed over it.  Then, there's a 6 inch thick wall that is set back from the "front" of the wall over the concrete portion.  There's a "shelf" of about 18 inches or so at the top of the concrete portion.  Thus, I don't really have a conventional "wall" onto which I can put a screen.  In other words, if you're looking at the wall, it comes down from the ceiling for a few feet, then comes toward you by about 18 inches, then drops the rest of the way toward the floor. Consequently, I was thinking of a pull down screen instead.

Also, the problems are exacerbated by a beam that splits the room and enters about a foot into the room.  Were I to ceiling mount the projector, I'd have to shoot under the beam but above peoples' heads.  Yikes!  I think that table-mounting a projector, while not ideal, would make it easier.

Oh yeah, that portable projector is cool. 

ctviggen

« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2007, 03:45 pm »
Well, I'm seriously considering (assuming I can afford this and the wife agrees) the Sharp XV-Z12000 Mark II DLP Projector.  Costco has this for 2k, and it originally sold for 10k!  It has a color management system and supposedly excellent optics.  It's a DLP with a seven color wheel at five times speed.  (I think, anyway.)  That's the thing that scares me -- DLP. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 1 Jun 2007, 05:09 am »
Have you had problems with DLP?  For all the talk very few people are bothered by RBE.  Even some who are find that it stops bothering them once they're used to it.  Some people truly can't tolerate DLP but I'm one of the fortunate ones who's utterly immune to color separation artifacts. 

ctviggen

« Reply #32 on: 1 Jun 2007, 09:52 am »
I don't know that I am, but some people in the thread on AVS say they can see rainbows using this projector.  However, the wife axed this idea, as right now our expenses (for preparing for a child, her quitting work, health insurance, etc.) far outweigh our income.  So, I'll have to wait until we can judge what our true expenses will be.