VLA = Very Large Array

John Casler

VLA = Very Large Array
« on: 19 Feb 2007, 07:50 pm »
Looks like you can hear the Cosmos through this version :lol:

I thought B, said DEEP BASS not Deep Space :duh:

Jodie reminded me I had seen those Letters before.

Housteau

Re: VLA = Very Large Array
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2007, 09:08 pm »
I'm a little confused John.  Which one of those dishes is the passive one?  :)

PLMONROE

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2007, 02:03 am »
So thats why you and Big B. were claiming the VLA would be "'out'a this world"! :angel:

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2007, 03:30 am »
I'll have to change that drawing.  The VLA has four actives on the front, one PR on the bottom, and one PR on the side, not five actives in front.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2007, 03:33 am »
And no slot at the bottom.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2007, 03:45 am »
Brian
I'm glad someone brought the one extra front firing driver to your attention!  There's no way to wire 5 equal impedance drivers unless they're 1.5-Ohms each or thereabouts, in series!
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2007, 04:15 am by RibbonSpeakers.net »

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2007, 03:59 am »
There is the usual opening at the bottom of the tower for the PR radiation.  It's a slot formed between the bottom of the cabinet and the baseplate.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2007, 04:09 am »
I enjoyed the Dean Peirre (please help w/ spelling) electric bass guitar better on the VMPS Trinaural rig (V60 center/626jr sides) more than the $200k YG Acoustics rig at CES-probably the best 2-channel system I've ever heard (helped by a huge ballroom, I bet stereo V60s would beat it w/ even just one VLA).  I kid you not.  Dean's bass amp was sitting right there IFO us...amazing.  The detail was better than I thought could exist in reproduced sound.  Roger Waters' (the British guy w/ the Q-sound or whatever it is) lyrics were more clear than any system ever, & I played this on systems up to at least $315k at CES (Kimber/Sound Lab).

The system yesterday had only one quasi-VSS (VSS drivers but the old LSW enclosure w/ thinner panels). 

The sound w/ one or two VLA will just put you into orbit.  Just get fed intravenously...never leave the listening chair...solve all drug addictions immediately...

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2007, 04:14 am »
Do you mean this Dean Peer? I have a few of his pieces and have alwys enjoyed his work.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2007, 04:15 am »
Bill
u de man!

The integration of the bass' overtone structure w/ the transient slap was so good you could taste it.  I heard this done to a very high level at CES.  This was another notch up, entirely better & not subtle.

The neatest thing about it was having the solo instrument totally focussed exactly dead center, reason being the Trinaural is 3-across, & "most" (according to the designer Bongiorno) of the output is from the center.

For people who have a collection of mono sources the Trinaural is literally the most important component you could buy, period.  It's as important as paying your utility bill (unless you are off the grid!)

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2007, 04:21 am »
Glad I could help Jim. Dean's work might be a good recommendation for your customers or at least for demo'ing the VMPS speakers. He is truly amazing and on a good system, you can really appreciate his talent.

RGordonpf

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2007, 04:18 pm »
For people who have a collection of mono sources the Trinaural is literally the most important component you could buy, period.  It's as important as paying your utility bill (unless you are off the grid!)

I have a large collection of mono LPs which I play on a dedicated mono system, so I am intrigued by your comment regarding mono sources.  Are you saying that the Trinaural spreads the mono sound out so that it sounds more like a stereo source?  I would appreciate it if you could give more details.  Thanks.

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2007, 04:57 pm »

I have a large collection of mono LPs which I play on a dedicated mono system, so I am intrigued by your comment regarding mono sources.  Are you saying that the Trinaural spreads the mono sound out so that it sounds more like a stereo source?  I would appreciate it if you could give more details.  Thanks.

Although I don't have any mono source material, I agree that the TriNaural Processor is going to make those sources slound more lifelike and enjoyable.

With the TNP, you have the ability to adjust the balance between the center and side speakers.  When listening to a mono source, unless you have a lot of side wall reflection (not suggested) the performance exists between the two speakers at center stage only.

Using the TNP, the bulk of the program will still come from the center (as you would want) but, you can dial in the amount of "width" you wish.

Having this ability is very crucial to both mono "AND" stereo soundfeilds, in that in a live recording, the left and right sides of the stage are "further away" from you than the center (assuming you are 3rd-5th row center) and with the TNP you can arrange your speakers and balance to present that balance.

By arranging the speakers, I mean that, while James suggests the standard ITU, you may also want to experiment with the other speaker placements, such as a "straight line" or a reverse ITU.

A reverse ITU would have the side speakers "further" away from the listener than the Center.  This would place the wave launch slightly out of phase to the Center, and give the sonics of a stage width and depth to mono, that cannot be acheived with stereo or a single center speaker.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2007, 06:00 pm »
I would imagine Deen's bass is about as close to a mono recording as you will find, other than an actual mono source.

Mono sources will come out of the center speaker of a Trinaural system, w/ little to no output from the L/R, just like you'd want it to.  At least that's what I believe is the case.  Listening to mono from two speakers is, well, as you know, pretty horrible, even under the best conditions imaginable. 

Deen's bass on the $95k/pr YG Acoustics Speakers had a disjointed dispersed presentation.  On the Trinaural it was just absolutely, totally locked into dead center.  Like I said, it's like the bass & amp were right there IFO us.  The best 2-ch system will not even begin to mimic such pinpoint precision, even in the VMPS live-end-dead-end soundroom.  The reflections & distortion from any normal listening enviornment + the problems introduced by spreading the output equally between two widely spaced speakers would be cataclysmic in comparison.

I highly recommend going far out of your way to audition a good Trinaural system.  The RM-V60 center w/ 626jr L/R may have been the best reproduced sound I have ever heard.  I'd assume Brian's room helped, but I preferred it to stereo V60s at THE Show.  And we did not tweak the system at all.  It would have sounded better w/ increased L/R spacing.  Only the center is a dipole, & the L/R monopoles seemed a perfect match.  The user is allowed to concentrate expenses on the center (best speaker, xo, & amp), leaving more leftover for other components & acoustic upgrades.           

RGordonpf

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2007, 06:46 pm »
I have only heard the Trinaural the one year that Big B used it at CES.  It sounded good, but I have no idea as to how it might sound in my own system.  I have RM30Ms (first production run) driven by deHavilland 845-G SET amps and a Larger sub soon to be driven by two of the PE 540 watt plate amps.  I am intrigued by the idea of having a V60 as the center and the RM30Ms as the L and R.  However, I am concerned about placing another piece of electronics in front of the amps.  Will the attendant degradation in sound, which always comes with placing another piece of equipment in the signal path, be made up by the increased benefits of the Trinaural.  How transparent is the Trinaural in a high resolution system?

Where can I listen to a Trinaural system in California?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2007, 07:26 pm »
The Trinaural was designed by Bongiorno, probably one of the most briliiant people in the business.  It's transparency is IMO completely w/o fault, worthy of the best & most expensive systems w/ which I'm familiar (up to at least $315k).  Your concern is completely reasonable & expected & normal.  It's also totally misplaced in this one component. 

I think John has one.  Brian was going to loan me his but I'm just going to buy one as soon as finances allow.  I'll have the above described Trinaural system in Providence UT, one mi north of Salt Lake.

MikeyMouse

« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2007, 07:29 pm »

Where can I listen to a Trinaural system in California?

Me too.  I also have a large collection of mono LPs.  I live in the Boston area.  Where can I listen to a Trinaural system in Massachusetts?  I am thinking of getting a pair of fully loaded RM40s, and add a V60 with a VSS for center at a later time.

-Mike

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2007, 10:53 pm »
Wow!  I considered how valuable the mono feature was but didn't expect this much interest in this time span. 

I'll have a Trinaural Processor that I can send out for auditions by mid-
March or sooner. 

PLMONROE

« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2007, 05:56 am »
After eighteen months or so with the Trinaural I have this observation to offer. It ABSOLUTELY hates it when phase shifts are employed in the mixing of a recording as they sometimes are.  :nono:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2007, 06:11 am »
Julian Turner said the same thing.
Do you recommend the Trinaural?
What speakers are you using?