McIntosh MC60 60Watt tube Mono-blocks worth restoring?

Scott F.

Re: McIntosh MC60 60Watt tube Mono-blocks worth restoring?
« Reply #40 on: 23 Mar 2007, 04:12 am »
Hey Levi,

Be careful if you buy the rebuild kit from VTV. I bought one once (about 5 yrs ago) and had a horrible experience with them. They sent me a schematic that was almost unlegible. You couldn't hardly read the values of the parts. The next thing they didn't do was highlight or circle the parts they had planned for you to replace.

If you know (from experience) what parts need to be replaced, no big deal. But when they send you extra parts that have the same value as three or four other parts that are used in your amp, you stand back and scratch your head asking yourself, "I wonder where they planned to use this part?". Not to mention the fact that they substituted some values too. Again, not a big deal. I could easily pick the place in the circuit where I would choose install it but it's their rebuild kit.

So the person wanting to follow their design would make a phone call to VTV, right? Thats exactly what I did. When they answered the phone and I mentioned that I had a question about where they intended these parts to go, they asked me for my credit card number. They wanted to charge me $25 for each 10 minutes I kept them on the phone, or some such nonsense. When I said that it takes some serious balls to do what they just did, they pointed me to some fine print on their website.

The other thing you need to be aware of is that their parts quality is questionable at best. Resistors are Xicons (or used to be) and caps are IC's (Illinois Capacitors)(or used to be). These are hardly 'audiophile' grade parts. When I totaled up the cost of the parts if I'd bought them from Digikey or Mouser,....well lets just say I could have rebuilt 3 or 4 amps for what they charged for industrial grade parts.

Sorry to be a spoil sport but watch your backside if you decide to deal with these guys.

That said, if you've got a schematic, I'd be happy to mark it up with the parts that should get replaced and make some suggestions for other mods.

Nice score on the tubes BTW  :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #41 on: 23 Mar 2007, 05:15 am »
Thanks. 

I have a better tube tester, my preamps, amps and my ears.

Hey!

Well, that is true when is come to how the tube sound :D But one of the reason I bought tube tester is to test tube(s) before I put them in my amp, pre and ect... to make sure that is shorted or anything like that. :wink:

Beside that it could test for gas and the life of the tube. A worthwhile investment in longterm and a good piece of mind for me :D

If you want to test some of those tube let me know. You could bring them over when we have time.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #42 on: 23 Mar 2007, 05:16 am »
Hi Scott,

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with VTV.  If they cannot answer your question without charging you, then that is really bad.  What happens to the courtesy, specially when you bought the kit from them.    Althought I called VTV awhile back inquiring for the MC60 rebuilt and they seem to be very nice and patient.  Some things just amazes me.  Thank you for the heads up. :thumb:

McIntosh Labs speaks highly of AudioClassics.  They are a little expensive but I think they do a really good and thorough job.  This is one of the reason I am waiting for Ryan to finish their rebuild kit for my MC60.   Let shall see.

That said, if you've got a schematic, I'd be happy to mark it up with the parts that should get replaced and make some suggestions for other mods.

I downloaded and printed the schematics but I haven't checked if it is for my amp.  Thanks for the offer. 

The tubes?  I think they are best find to date!  If you are or near NYC, she still has some vintage equipment available.  I just don't have the space to put them.

Here's the list:
1.   Heathkit Bar Generator, Model BG-1
2.   Blonder-Tongue Labs Booster Model HA-3, some oxidizing of aluminum parts
3.   Fisher Pre-Amplifier, Model PR-6 with manual (Two of these – one is used and has oxidizing, one is new in unopened box)
4.   Heathkit Square Wave Generator Model SQ-1
5.   Eico Resistance Comparator Bridge Model 950 with manual & construction book
6.   Eico Signal Generator Model 322 with parts list, instruction manual, & addenda sheet
7.   Heathkit Laboratory Oscilloscope ( a little dusty – was not in cabinet)
8.   Heathkit TV Alignment Generator Model AG-3
9.   Heathkit Voltmeter
10.   Realist AM Tuner with manual.  No model number, just “Radio Shack”.  On light turns on and tubes glow when plugged in.  Some oxidizing and dust.
11.   Simpson Vacuum Tube Voltmeter with leads, carrying strap.  Needle moves when plugged in. Model 303.
12.   Box of tubes, In boxes,may be used.  One marked “hum”. Including: 1 RCA 5R4GY  , 24 Medium (e.g. 6SC7) and 19 small (eg 12AV7). SOLD to Levi :thumb: 
13.   Thordarson Amplifier Model T32W10.  Tubes glow when plugged in.
14.   Zenith 1951 Am/FM Receiver S-50683 tube [SOLD to Levi  :thumb:]
15.   Pentron radio tuner AM-T in handmade cabinet, frayed cord, not plugged in.

Also:
   GelosoTape Recorder G255, including microphone, dusty, powers on, hums, only one reel spins.
     Lots of tapes to go with it, at least 20, some used.
   Larger reels of magnetic recording tape, also at least 20, used.
   Itemized receipts from Radio Shack, Heathkit, Allied Radio etc., late 40s-1950
   4 Electronics catalogs from the early 1960’s eg Radio Shack, 3 Heathkit catalogs
   Lots of wire, screws, switches and other little doo-hickeys for radio too numerous to inventory

Original Manuals/ Instruction Books for:
   Zenith Royal 500 Transistor radio  [SOLD to Levi] :thumb:
   Norelco Tape Cassette Carry-corder 150
   Meissner FM Receptor Model 8c (Installation instructions and Photofact)
   Hammarlund HQ-150 Receiver, Bulletin APD-328
   Allied Radio Knight “Wireless” Broadcaster+ construction instructions, correspondence between former owner and Allied customer service, dated 1955.
   VTVM & Oscilloscope Probes
   RCA Loudspeaker 103
   RCA Radiola 44
   GE Phonograph E-52
   Webster Wire Recorder 80 and customer service correspondence

Thanks again.

Levi

TONEPUB

« Reply #43 on: 23 Mar 2007, 06:32 am »
Sounds like a fun project!  MC 60's are very nice amplifiers indeed...

Good luck and I hope you continue to let us know about your progress!

Levi

« Reply #44 on: 23 Mar 2007, 11:48 am »
Thanks Jeff. 

JoshK

« Reply #45 on: 23 Mar 2007, 01:37 pm »
Levi,

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if you have sent them off yet or not, but if you aren't in a hurry and can live without them for a while, I'll restore them for you for the learning experience.  I am pretty sure the schematic is freely available and point to point such as that is a breeze to work on.  Parts cost is on you, but it'd be your choice what to upgrade versus replace as same.

Drop me a pm or call and we can chat.

Josh

Levi

« Reply #46 on: 23 Mar 2007, 02:54 pm »
Hi Josh,

I really appreciate the offer to help.  If only if you leave in Queens, then I can learn aswell. 

Levi

Levi

« Reply #47 on: 27 Mar 2007, 03:08 am »
It is NOS 5R4GY.  :)

What the heck is the big driver tube in the lower right corner, Levi? It dwarfs the others in size, at least on screen to me.

Good find, man  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #48 on: 14 Apr 2008, 06:58 pm »
It is over a year now. 

Finally, I found someone local that I can bring my Mc60s.  It is currently being restored by Electro Tech Labs.

Consider yourself updated! :green:

Oh, it is $175 each.

Levi

JoshK

« Reply #49 on: 14 Apr 2008, 07:08 pm »
Not bad at all. 

SET Man

« Reply #50 on: 14 Apr 2008, 07:10 pm »
It is over a year now. 

Finally, I found someone local that I can bring my Mc60s.  It is currently being restored by Electro Tech Labs.

Consider yourself updated! :green:

Oh, it is $175 each.

Levi

Hey!

Finally! :D  That is a very good price by the way.

And now get ready to be surprised by how these vintage could do :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #51 on: 14 Apr 2008, 07:20 pm »
Thanks guys.

I don't want to set myself up and expect a vintage circuitry to be as open as the newer circuits.  Then again, suprise suprise.  I am hoping that I will like the sound of the original MC60s sound in my system.  Let shall see.

Stay tuned!

Levi

« Reply #52 on: 21 Apr 2008, 05:12 am »
After many years sitting in my garage, It is now completely restored.  DOB 9-9-69 with consequent serials.  :)

The amps may need some time to break-in (again?) but my initial impressions is highly favorable.  Even though they are 39 years old mono-blocks, the sound seems like it is not from a very old design.  It has deep and wide sound stage.  Very powerful detailed sound.  Bass response is very good.  These amps showed perspective and texture in my system.   

I Highly recommend keeping and restoring such gems.  It is worth every penny if one can find a good working pair.  I just answered my original question  "McIntosh MC60 worth restoring?".  :lol:

-Levi

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #53 on: 21 Apr 2008, 05:22 am »
Nice to see them back "in action" Levi....happy listening... :beer:

Levi

« Reply #54 on: 21 Apr 2008, 05:31 am »
Thanks Chris.  Ah yes finally.

mjosef

« Reply #55 on: 21 Apr 2008, 05:47 am »
Ok...time to hold another rave...  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #56 on: 21 Apr 2008, 05:50 am »
Ok...time to hold another rave...  :lol:
Might just be a "BAT" for sale.....soon... :wink:

TONEPUB

« Reply #57 on: 21 Apr 2008, 06:58 am »
Nice amps!!!

Always cool to see em get restored instead of junked.  Kind of like
a good classic car!

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #58 on: 21 Apr 2008, 12:36 pm »
 :thumb: Nice job saving them bet they make some sweet music  :thumb:

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #59 on: 21 Apr 2008, 01:38 pm »
Thanks guys.

I don't want to set myself up and expect a vintage circuitry to be as open as the newer circuits.  Then again, suprise suprise.  I am hoping that I will like the sound of the original MC60s sound in my system.  Let shall see.

Stay tuned!

We'll find out at your next rave, sooooooon?????? :duh: