McIntosh MC60 60Watt tube Mono-blocks worth restoring?

GBB

Re: McIntosh MC60 60Watt tube Mono-blocks worth restoring?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2007, 03:44 pm »
Unfortunately one of the KT88s was broken.  At least 2 of them are good, and the third may or may not be good, but it wouldn't have a match.  Maybe buying a used single would be the way to go if the third one is good.  If not, I'd say buy a matched pair of the new production clones.  They go for about $100-150/pair.

Maybe a bit late, but here are a few sites that have a ton of great information about McIntosh.

This site contains manuals for many of the classic amps and is indispensible if you plan to do any mods.
http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/McHome.htm

The Audiokarma forums have a McIntosh board where people will help out as well.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?

There are many people who have rebuilt / restored amps and will give you advice on the best tricks.

My view is that the McIntosh designs are relatively less sensitive to output tube rolling so that it might make sense to cash in the Genalex tubes and use that money to help either restore these or buy other audio toys.

---Gary

Levi

« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2007, 04:57 pm »
Hi Gary, This is very enlightening.  Thanks!

duggie

« Reply #22 on: 13 Feb 2007, 05:47 pm »
if you're considering audioclassics for service, it sounds like you are in upstate new york.  if that's the case, i would also consider our own bill baker of response audio, here on the audiocircle forum.

if you decide to send it out, i would give craig at nosvalves.com

http://www.responseaudio.com/
http://nosvalves.com/

re: the amp in the pic - the orange drops shown in the pic, look like what was removed from the old amps, not installed.  looks like some decent generic poly caps were installed...

Levi

« Reply #23 on: 13 Feb 2007, 06:34 pm »
Thanks Duggie.  Nothing is too late.  I am 3-4hrs away south from Audioclassics.  McIntosh service personel personally recommended Audioclassics so they would be on top of the game.  Very expensive.  I have yet to talk to Bill.

Those yellow caps were Mallory caps. 

Levi

« Reply #24 on: 13 Feb 2007, 06:45 pm »
We tested all 3 of the Genalex KT88 and they are all in working condition.  1 Genalex tube broke when I move the amp around. :duh:.  I don't have a tube tester so I cannot tell for sure what is the actual health on those.

Chris, those will not fit in my rack so probably another issue with the wife. 

Buddy, those three tubes are working. 

GBB

« Reply #25 on: 13 Feb 2007, 07:25 pm »
Thanks Duggie.  Nothing is too late.  I am 3-4hrs away south from Audioclassics.  McIntosh service personel personally recommended Audioclassics so they would be on top of the game.  Very expensive.  I have yet to talk to Bill.

Those yellow caps were Mallory caps. 
The Audiokarma folks rave about Terry DeWick down in Tennesee:

http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm

I think he's quite a bit less expensive than Audioclassics.  The Audioclassics team is very good - but not cheap.

---Gary

Levi

« Reply #26 on: 13 Feb 2007, 08:37 pm »
Thanks Gary, I would like to have the amps restored locally so I can save money on shipping.  I hope you understand.  Audiokarma have lots of information about the Vintage McIntoshes.  It would take me time to weed through all of them.  The search button proves helpful that's for sure!

I appreciate all the response from everyone here, they are all positive.  I also enjoy having no Ads!  Beat that.

randytsuch

« Reply #27 on: 14 Feb 2007, 01:44 am »
For the past week, I have had a MC60 sitting in my office.  It was in storage at my work, and I kind of "rescued" it, to make sure it is not lost, when we move in a few months.

The bummer of this is, since it belongs to work, can't sell it on ebay, so it is getting wasted.  Also, we only have one, so I can't even use it for an office system.

Randy

Levi

« Reply #28 on: 14 Feb 2007, 01:51 am »
Hi Randy, don't you wonder where's the other MC-60?  It is almost impossible to find one on line but you never know.  It is kind of it being almost useless unless you listen to monaural source.  You can always send the tubes my way.

randytsuch

« Reply #29 on: 14 Feb 2007, 03:02 am »
Hi Randy, don't you wonder where's the other MC-60?  It is almost impossible to find one on line but you never know.  It is kind of it being almost useless unless you listen to monaural source.  You can always send the tubes my way.

One of the old timers (who is now retired) told me that the company bought a few of them many years ago, as test equipment.  They were used to amplify a sine wave to drive something, not as an audio amp.  The others dissappeared over time, but this one is still around.

Sorry, can't give you the tubes, they don't belong to me.

Randy

Levi

« Reply #30 on: 14 Feb 2007, 03:16 am »
I completely understand.  If you cannot use it, it would always look good just sitting there.  It has that Vintage look!

slbender

• The Bender Rebuild Vintage Amplifier Pages
« Reply #31 on: 14 Feb 2007, 07:12 am »
I too know the feeling, I've had one MC-30 sitting here for about 15 years, its a sad little amp in perfect condition, but I have never come across another one (*that I could afford ).

-Steven

For the past week, I have had a MC60 sitting in my office.  It was in storage at my work, and I kind of "rescued" it, to make sure it is not lost, when we move in a few months.

The bummer of this is, since it belongs to work, can't sell it on ebay, so it is getting wasted.  Also, we only have one, so I can't even use it for an office system.

Randy

gkargreen

« Reply #32 on: 23 Feb 2007, 11:39 pm »
If you are looking for restoration of these MC-60s, drop me an email, I use to work for Bill Thalmann, and have experience with the '30s, restored several and am working on another...

Levi

« Reply #33 on: 24 Feb 2007, 12:19 am »
I am waiting for Ryan for the rebuild kit.    Are you near or around New YorkCity?     

gkargreen

« Reply #34 on: 24 Feb 2007, 01:51 am »
I'm in the Fairfax, VA area, near DC.  Before you update/upgrade, there are some important things to note, drop me a line to my email gkargreen@cox.net, and I can let you know, this website posting here is way too slow for me...

Levi

« Reply #35 on: 23 Mar 2007, 02:56 am »
Hi all,

Just to update everyone.   Still waiting.

Ryan from AudioClassic is finalizing the rebuild kit for the MC-60 Mono block.  VTV is also selling a rebuild kit.

Meanwhile, I bought 40+ tubes from a garage sale.  Can you imagine $20 for all and they are new.  Well new old stock.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #36 on: 23 Mar 2007, 03:15 am »
What the heck is the big driver tube in the lower right corner, Levi? It dwarfs the others in size, at least on screen to me.

Good find, man  :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #37 on: 23 Mar 2007, 03:22 am »
Thanks.  Frankly, I don't remember what it is.  It is in my garage.  I will check tomorrow. 

Levi

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #38 on: 23 Mar 2007, 03:35 am »
Nice score Levi....  :beer:

Buddy can test them out in his tube tester for you...... 8)

Levi

« Reply #39 on: 23 Mar 2007, 03:44 am »
Thanks. 

I have a better tube tester, my preamps, amps and my ears.