the unpolished truth about speaker cables

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
the unpolished truth about speaker cables
« on: 12 Feb 2007, 10:11 am »
Thought some people might be interested in this paper on the topic of speaker cables.  It is located at the following address:
www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

It seems pretty consistent with what I have read in the Bryston newsletters as well.  I myself use Bryston speaker cables (and interconnects) and can only say I will almost certainly not be using anything else - it's such an enormous waste of money.  The exception will be coaxial / optical because Bryston does not offer that.

95bcwh

Re: the unpolished truth about speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2007, 10:21 am »
old fart story... yawn.. :sleep:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2007, 03:07 pm »
old fart story... yawn.. :sleep:

I concur - I've seen that site many times.  I don't know why someone feels the need to point to someone else's opinion (whichever way that is) vs. listening for themselves.  How difficult is it to even have a friend bring over something, have a few beers, and listen.  I'd much rather see someone post about what their system has in it, how it is hooked up (digital/analog sources) and what they listened to to come to their conclusion.

grsimmon

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2007, 11:00 pm »
Gee, feeling defensive?  Let me guess, you dropped a grand for cables and interconnects.   Try not to get your skirt / panties in a twist.  I posted the address just for people's information,  and they can use it however they want.   For me,  having my friend over for beers while comparing notes isn't my idea of a productive way for cutting through all the b.s. marketing that's floating around these days,  ESPECIALLY for cables and interconnects.   And yeah, he might be an old fart,  but he's a smart old fart. 

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2007, 11:19 pm »
Wow.  Sitting down and listening isn't a good way to judge for yourself?  That's the only way I buy things. 

Bryan

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2007, 11:20 pm »
For me,  having my friend over for beers while comparing notes isn't my idea of a productive way for cutting through all the b.s. marketing that's floating around these days,  ESPECIALLY for cables and interconnects.

Just out of curiousity, how do you cut through all the bull, and get down to what the truth really is?

Cheers

eric the red

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2007, 12:00 am »
Just out of curiousity, how do you cut through all the bull, and get down to what the truth really is?
Cheers

C'mon we've gone over this before. The first step is to place a picture of yourself taken when you were young and another recent photo, place them inside a zip lock bag in your freezer then wait until audio nirvana reveals itself. Sheesh pay attention.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2007, 12:14 am »
 :lol:

Cheers

eric the red

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2007, 12:19 am »
It seems pretty consistent with what I have read in the Bryston newsletters as well.  I myself use Bryston speaker cables (and interconnects) and can only say I will almost certainly not be using anything else - it's such an enormous waste of money.  The exception will be coaxial / optical because Bryston does not offer that.
So all other wire and I/Cs besides Bryston are a waste of money? Why yes a one meter pair of Bryston I/Cs for $175.00 DOES seem like a bargain. And ditto for the $5.00 a foot non-terminated copper speaker wire and banana plugs for ten bucks each. Thanks for sharing.

grsimmon

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2007, 12:22 am »
I'm not going to get into a discussion about truth,  or how do I or anyone else pick their gear,  whatever  etc. etc.  ,  as these topics have gone around and around so many times on so many forums it's hilarious.   Have you noticed how these types of arguments seem to come up most when the topic of speaker cables and interconnects are discussed?  Hence why I posted Mr. Russell's website in the first place for people to use however they wish.   An antidote, in my opinion.    Similarly,  one of the things I like about Bryston is that they seem to be pretty low on the "bull" scale,   and their newsletters do a nice job of explaining in layman's term the physics / math of the gear that so many people have so many opinions about.  

eric the red

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2007, 12:26 am »
I'm not going to get into a discussion about truth,  or how do I or anyone else pick their gear,  whatever  etc. etc.  ,  as these topics have gone around and around so many times on so many forums it's hilarious.   Have you noticed how these types of arguments seem to come up most when the topic of speaker cables and interconnects are discussed?  Hence why I posted Mr. Russell's website in the first place for people to use however they wish.   An antidote, in my opinion.    Similarly,  one of the things I like about Bryston is that they seem to be pretty low on the "bull" scale,   and their newsletters do a nice job of explaining in layman's term the physics / math of the gear that so many people have so many opinions about. 

So you don't want to get into a discussion about truth yet the title of your post is "the unpolished truth about speaker cables". Nice. And what would one expect to hear from Bryston regarding all other cables besides the ones they sell being a waste of money?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2007, 01:07 am »
Zactly.

That was my first impression - that the OP considered that paper 'the truth' - but we don't want to talk about that.  :duh:

Bryan

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2007, 01:48 am »
I have two brands of big-ticket "boutique" speaker wire at home.  One is approximately 20 times more expensive than the other.  One is a 6 gauge equivalent, the other 18 gauge.  One is about half silver, the other is OF stranded copper.  There is a 10ft run to the left speaker, a 20ft run to the right speaker, so series R of the wire does come into play.

The two wires sound distinctly different, one being considerably more transparent and detailed than the other.  I won't bother to identify which is which.  Suffice it to say I listen with the wire I find closer to the sound of live music.

My experience does not support the conclusions of the article cited in this thread, or the stance of its author towards wire and interconnects.  Indeed after 30 years I am inclined to contradict virtually everything he says.

It remains for the audiophile to determine what sounds "best" to him, and what expenditure is required to achieve that best sound.  I believe that with training and experience (I have 30 years in as an audio engineer), many audiophiles can "hear a difference" and correctly identify an improvement over a sideways or backwards move in sound quality, due to wires, interconnects, room treatment, sources, amplification, or speaker systems.

grsimmon

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2007, 01:49 am »
As my Japanese girlfriend would say,  "you guys are hirarious!"  And the funniest part is that your responses are so completely predictable.
Most discussions on this topic that I've seen usually spiral downward into an argument.  Some people get really bothered by this stuff;  this seems to not have changed much since the 1950's and 60's,  as recounted by the author in his article.   Have fun playing amongst yourselves in the audiofool sandbox,  and with some of you having 700 - 1500 posts, you really, really need to get out more.   As for the rest of this site's readers who may not be familiar with Mr. Russell's article,  I hope you enjoy it,  even if you don't agree with every word.   Over and out.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2007, 01:57 am »
Have fun playing amongst yourselves in the audiofool sandbox,  and with some of you having 700 - 1500 posts, you really, really need to get out more.   As for the rest of this site's readers who may not be familiar with Mr. Russell's article,  I hope you enjoy it,  even if you don't agree with every word.   Over and out.

So nice of you to have stopped by, don't let the door hit you on your way out of our audiofool sandbox. It's been a slice getting to know you.  :wave:

Cheers
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2007, 02:12 am by Daygloworange »

eric the red

« Reply #15 on: 13 Feb 2007, 02:03 am »
Why in the world would I go outside when there's this to keep me informed??
http://www.wunderground.com/
I travel 300 days a year for my job-is that getting out enough?
And where did you come up with the 700-1500 post guidline for getting out more? From the Bryston newsletter?

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #16 on: 13 Feb 2007, 02:22 am »
I travel 300 days a year for my job...

Dude, you really really need to get in more.  :green:

se

jethro

« Reply #17 on: 13 Feb 2007, 02:22 am »
All:

Please be respectful of each other. Thank you.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2007, 04:11 am »
"Unpolished truth", huh?  In an area that's HIGHLY subjective, 'truth' has no meaning--what's true for one is not for the next person.  So what's 'the truth' when discussing speaker and IC cables for music-reproduction systems?  If I can hear a difference between 2 cables and ol'-what's-'is-name cannot, I believe he's being HIGHLY arrogant and presumptuous to be spouting the it-all-sounds-the-same mantra the measurists love.

Oh well...those who can hear differences buy the cable they love, and those who can't, buy cable that's inexpensive.  If we could stop this pontificating-the-'truth' crap, all of us would get along better.

eric the red

« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2007, 04:26 am »
Take a look at those highly polished switching boxes used in the testing