Ref 9.02 with Gallo Reference 3.1 Speakers? Comments?

dspringham

Is anyone using (or have used) this combination?

If so, please comment on synergies.

Thanks,
David

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Re: Ref 9.02 with Gallo Reference 3.1 Speakers? Comments?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2007, 04:37 am »
It was a combination I enjoyed.  It had very good detail, speed and openness.  Check with Nuforce regarding the amp's ability to coexist with the Gallo's second voice coil being utilized.  I can't recall for sure if this was a concern or not.

FWIW:
A glass, as opposed to a wood, dining table.
If that makes sense to you  :)

raven

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2007, 06:37 pm »
I am also curios about this combination.

dspringham

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2007, 07:25 pm »
I'll guess I'll have to let you guys know because I just bought a couple of the Ref 9.02 monos (will receive in a couple days).
I plan on using my Wyetech Labs Coral (tube) linestage to drive the Nuforce amps. I do not plan on using the second voice coil on the Gallo's for bass augmentation. From what I've read, the Nuforce amps should have plenty of bass drive for these speakers with the single full range input.
I'm hoping that the transparent, fast, low bass qualities of the amps will complement these same attributes of the Gallo speakers.

jaywills

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2007, 02:12 pm »
"A glass, as opposed to a wood, dining table."

Yes, that does make sense to me (I'm presently listening to an old pair of Celestion SL600's while I'm waiting on one of my Quad 63 panels to be rebuilt).  Any suggestions about similarly-priced speakers that are "a wood, as opposed to glass, dining table?"  Thanks very much.  Cordially,

dave_in_gva

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2007, 03:34 pm »
Hi dspringham,

Have you had a chance to form some opinions about the Nuforce/Gallo Reference 3.1 combination yet?

This is the same combination I am thinking about and very interested to hear from others who have tried it (with either the monoblocks or the IA-7). Also interested to hear about cabling combinations for this.

Best,

Dave M

dspringham

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2007, 04:44 pm »
Dave M

I have benn running the Gallo's with the Newforce Ref 9.02's and i think that it is a great combination.
The sound is open and fast with very good dynamics (ie. lots of reserve power). I don't listen at hear piercing levels, but the Ref 9.02's sound effortless with the Gallo's. The bass is fast, clean and tight and goes very low when the source material dictates (and this is without the subwoofer voice coils energized in any way). The soundstage is wide and open and separation is excellent.

By comparison I have also run the Gallo's with my Wyetech Labs Onyx SET monoblocks which are rated at 13 rms per channel. These amplifiers also drive these speakers very well as the amps have very large dynamic capacity. At the levels I listen at, these monos create more than enough SPL, however they definately have their limit when pushed and as a result, won't play as loud as the Nuforce.

Both of these amplifiers were driven with a Wytech Labs Coral linestage (all tubes 2 x 5814, 1 x 5687) which provide an excellent source.
I have a Modwright SWL 9.0SE (I wanted a remote volume control) coming which I am interested in pairing with the Nuforce amps (as I'm told this is a synergystic pairing).
My initial listening tests with the Nuforce amps was mostly done with the stock power cords. Even though they performed well with these cords I found that the whole presentation "kicked-up" a notch when I used the Virtual Dynamics Power Three cables I was using with the Wyetech monoblocks. The reproduction seemed to become more transparent and free flowing and in fact closely approached the sonic level of the SET mono's.
I am using Van Den Hul Hybrid D-352 speaker cables along with Eichman Express 6 and Actinote IC's.

Just summing up, I think that the Nuforce/Gallo Ref 3 combo is a great match as the Gallo's seem to thrive on the current drive that the Nuforce amps are capable of providing.

dave_in_gva

« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2007, 07:21 am »
Thanks for this Dave.

In fact you and I sound like we are headed for very similar systems - with you already being there and me immersed in research and planning to buy in around the third quarter this year.

I am planning on going with Gallo Ref 3.1 speakers, the Nuforce Ref 9.02 monoblocks and for a preamp I hesitate betwelen the P-8 and the Modwright. If I go with the Modwright I will have to place it completely out of sight in a vertical placement (e.g. in a furniture enclosure with front to back ventilation but with the control panel of the unit facing the floor and the interconnect panel facing up). From what I can read the Modwright is fantastic sonically and meant as you say to be a good pairing whereas the P-8 is an unknown quantity really.

So....I suspect I will end up going with the Modwright and just access via the remote. My front end, like yours, is hard drive based....a fanless 1.2 GHz based VIA board (draws only 6W at idle) in a Psile box outputting optical out of a Juli@ soundcard into a Lavry DA10 DAC. Remote control through an ultra mobile PC (UMPC) for graphical selection of tracks via the Remote Desktop Connection capability of Win XP along with volume control using NetRemote and Girder and a USB-based IR blaster or simple volume control via the remote of the Modwright.

I know you are probably just now listening through your new Modwright to your Nuforce/Gallo system. I'd be very interested to hear more when you've had a chance to form some impressions. Feel free to PM me.

Best,

Dave M

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2007, 12:37 pm »
hello dave, i was using a p-8 for some time, but had the itch for tubed sound and picked up a marsh p2000t preamp it uses the same tubes as modright, and i must say there is something to be said about that tube sound, according to nuforce the p-9 preamp is stated to be released this month, and i am sure its going to be a serous improvement to p-8 which was no slouch, just a few thoughts, good luck

raven

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2007, 05:06 pm »
I´ve decided to buy a pair of Gallo ref. 3.1 to go with my IA-7, i hope its a good choice.
Of course I will listen first!!

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2007, 06:02 pm »
For what it's worth, I have the older Nucleus Ref2 speakers and they just don't sound right with the tripath and hypex based digital amps I've used with them.  That tweeter seems to "ring" with those amps and it drove me crazy.  It may just be the sensitivity of my ears, but my Gallos sound much more musical with tube amps.

Granted we're talking about different amps and speakers, but the designs are similar enough so that this insight might be helpful.

Russ

Viclondon

« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2007, 09:45 pm »
I have a pair of Gallo Ref 3 II bought about a month ago and I am using a Resolution Audio Opus 21 and a Unison Research Unico which is doing a surprising good job driving them, apart from the bass which I believe can be seriously improved.
I have been eagerly waiting for the new version of the Nuforce 9 SE v2 to be available here in the UK and to audition it for an upgrade. So I am very interested in this thread

Albireo

« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2007, 02:24 am »
I used a pair of Reference 8.02 amps to drive a Gallo Ref 3.1 for about two weeks. Do not take the short audition period the wrong way! At the time I already had the NuForce S-9 speakers -- which I was inordinately fond of -- and was playing around with other speakers just for fun.

Anyway, during the auditioning I heard several things:

- Gorgeous midrange, this was most surprising to me since I was expecting to be blown away by the tweeter instead.

- The same treble response I had heard in Gallo dealers before, namely superb soundstaging (far beyond the speakers) and extension. See below for more comments on the treble.

- Powerful and tight bass, the kind I would have associated anyway with NuForce amps driving a large driver in a sealed box

- Very good dynamics: the Gallos never seemed to be running out of power within the apartment-sensitive volume levels I was playing them at.

I actually never liked the Gallo CDT tweeter, even in carefully set-up dealer demos with far more expensive -- and "traditional" -- gear. To me the CDTs have always been too "hearable", like chrome detailing that catches the light no matter how you turn your head or move around. Perhaps the dispersion of the tweeter doesn't match with that of the midrange balls. Moreover the treble never seemed to meld with the character of the midrange which is full of body and flesh; instead the treble felt more pure and honest. My system is not kind to this sort of treble response, and the 8.02 surely didn't cut corners in the treble either.

Having said that, I know that many reviewers love the extension of the CDT tweeter and others like the Gallos with tubed amps, which lead me to believe that many people either have trouble hearing high treble or have discovered that the natural roll-off of many tubed amps complements the CDT's extension. Or use them in significantly bigger rooms than mine or that of the dealers who I've visited.

So the confused message I have for you is that the Reference 8.02 drives the Gallo Ref 3.1 honestly and dynamically. My guess is that you will be deciding whether you like the Gallos' sound rather than that of the NuForce amp!

Hope that helps!

raven

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2007, 07:32 pm »
Hello!
In one or two weeks I´ll get a new pair of Gallo Ref.3.1 and have upgraded my IA-7 to V2 :drool:

So in 3-4 weeks I´ll wright what I think!
Have a great summer :thumb:
Carl

timothyharnett

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jul 2007, 07:38 am »

Yes, that does make sense to me (I'm presently listening to an old pair of Celestion SL600's while I'm waiting on one of my Quad 63 panels to be rebuilt).  Any suggestions about similarly-priced speakers that are "a wood, as opposed to glass, dining table?"  Thanks very much.  Cordially,

Jay,  How are you finding the SL600s with the Nuforce (and indeed generally).  How would you compare them to other conventional speakers that you've tried.  Presumably they appreciate the power.

Fascinating things & potentially on my list of speakers that I intend to own at some stage.

raven

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2007, 10:19 am »

Jay,  How are you finding the SL600s with the Nuforce (and indeed generally).  How would you compare them to other conventional speakers that you've tried.  Presumably they appreciate the power.

Fascinating things & potentially on my list of speakers that I intend to own at some stage.

Please! Stay on topic.
Take questions trough pm.
Carl

jaywills

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2007, 11:42 am »
Despite the hall-monitor tendencies of a nine-post wonder, your question deserves an answer.  The Celestions love the power, though I'm now using a homebrew UcD 400 amp instead of the Nuforce.  The Celestions really like a deep drink of clean power.  BTW, my interest in this thread arose from the fact that I also have a pair of the Ref. 3.1's, which are my main speakers right now.  Not looking good for my Quads...  Cordially,

timothyharnett

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jul 2007, 12:43 pm »
The 3.1 certainly interests me.  Prices haven't dropped far enough on the second hand market yet and positioning looks tricky.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jul 2007, 01:52 pm »
Please stay with the topic. Thanks.

JayDoubleU

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jul 2007, 10:53 pm »
My Ref 3.1's have been playing for three weeks now, so well passed the break-in period. They sound absolutely great with my Ref 9 SE's and the Rega Saturn CD-player. Soundstaging is impressive, both wide and deep. Height is good but should be more. I guess I'll have to experiment with stands for the speakers. The lows and the midrange are just perfect, but the highs are sometimes just a little too strong. I might just have a little too much silver cabling installed (Analog Research for power, Siltech ST18 for interlinks and Siltech FTM-4 for speakers), so have to play with that. It might still improve though since the highs were horrible when I hooked them up straight from the packaging. These speakers definitely need a long break-in period, so I'm a little patient still.
I'll be getting my Ref 9 SE's upgraded to V2 soon and might even change P8 for P9. Things could just get that little notch better, although I am very happy as it is right now.

The Gallos are worth auditioning with any amp, but certainly make a wonderful match with the NuForces!