Vista- yay or nay?

jules

Re: Vista- yay or nay?
« Reply #80 on: 6 Feb 2007, 06:08 am »
Hi Levi,

:? ah .. I agree completely! There must be a race on right now to infect Vista.

As for the fantastic Add free AC  :bounce:

jules

jon_010101

peranders

« Reply #82 on: 6 Feb 2007, 08:26 am »
Ok, I’m no expert but I am a professional in the publishing, news and media industry. MOST writers are Mac fans, simple and true. The publishing world, in general, is Mac bias even though Apple only accounts for 4 percent of all computers in the US and 2 percent world wide. This is why the media pays WAY more attention to Apple and Jobs then what is reasonable. For a tiny company that basically contributes little to the industry as a whole, they get too much attention because of the fan-favoritism of the media – it’s a joke really.
Let me ask you: Can you think of some other computer/software company which is interesting for media? Steven Jobs is a genius when it comes to media, don't you think?

BTW: I have installed Vista in my Mac  :D

Levi

« Reply #83 on: 6 Feb 2007, 02:01 pm »
you installed Vista in a Mac...Congrats!  I heard it would run better than osx. Good job!           

peranders

« Reply #84 on: 6 Feb 2007, 02:04 pm »
Better than OSX, no I don't think so. Haven't noticed it yet. The only possible disadvantage right now is lack of support for firewire (good audio interfaces).

When I compare the OS side by side from an user view I think Mac is much more "less" if you know what I mean? The GUI is very clean and easy to understand. Just one thing: How do you install software on OSX vs. Vista? All PC user should only know!  :D OSX has no installation. It's wonderfull. The program is in one file, just doubleclick.

I'm using both OS since more than a decade back but I can't think of much that is really better in Windows besides the lack of software support in OSX. No virus in OSX, isn't that wonderfull?

Levi

« Reply #85 on: 6 Feb 2007, 04:26 pm »
What I meant was that the OSX is written for the old Mac chipset. 

peranders

« Reply #86 on: 6 Feb 2007, 05:27 pm »
What old? The Mac has an Intel chipset now.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #87 on: 6 Feb 2007, 09:14 pm »
My 'puter hasn't yet passed the Bill...
So I'm waiting.

Vista looks tempting but I like building a pc for each OS...
I built my current pc especially for XP.
I'm gonna wait until there is more stability in Vista.
The current get go says not enough hardware stability.

So... nay from me, until the Bill get passed...  aa

Levi

« Reply #88 on: 6 Feb 2007, 09:30 pm »
HP promised to have Vista 64bit printer drivers on the second quarter 2007.  Hopefully, it would be the same for other hardware vendors.  Let shall see.

Most Antivirus that is designed and installed on Windows XP may also have compatibility issues.  If one is lucky, one maybe able to upgrade their Antivirus software to support Vista.

So far so good here.

peranders

« Reply #89 on: 6 Feb 2007, 10:25 pm »
I use Norman antivirus (got it for free from my bank). It seems to work with Vista.

http://www.norman.com/

Do I need any anti virus for Mac? I heard that there are no(!) viruses on the OSX platform.

Woodsea

« Reply #90 on: 6 Feb 2007, 11:00 pm »
A little hx.  I am a pc guy who used to tinker all the time with my computers.  My most recent purchase for my wife was a souped up macbook.  My desktop came back dead from UB.  So I am really looking for a new computer.  I went to CompUSA yesterday.  The tech woman there told me that home premium is rock solid, she has been using it for 2 months with out a problem.  Now my quest is for the best CPU for my needs.  HTPC is the way I am leaning, and real hard.  HP has a very nice config, but I think I wanna wait for the quad cores. 
So this month...next month I will be buying an HP minitower hopefully with a quad and by then I can choose between more than 2 DX10 vid cards to buy to insert myself.
I will be going to home premium, because the techy told me Vista ultimate has come back to her shop more than it should!

Bemopti123

« Reply #91 on: 6 Feb 2007, 11:18 pm »
I use Norman antivirus (got it for free from my bank). It seems to work with Vista.

http://www.norman.com/

Do I need any anti virus for Mac? I heard that there are no(!) viruses on the OSX platform.

I haven't  bothered with "protection" with my Macs.  Though I need to "use" them whenever I frequent my kinky black Dell.   :icon_twisted:

Woodsea

« Reply #92 on: 6 Feb 2007, 11:48 pm »
To be fair.  Mac will have an increasing need for protection the more popular it gets.   There is no such thing  as perfect security.  If I recall correctly Apple came out with a fix for a hole that was there for about 4 months.  Nobody capitalized because it would not get much press, nor would a great many readers or viewers of the major corps news agencies care, because they don't run with macs.

Bemopti123

« Reply #93 on: 7 Feb 2007, 12:03 am »
To be fair.  Mac will have an increasing need for protection the more popular it gets.   There is no such thing  as perfect security.  If I recall correctly Apple came out with a fix for a hole that was there for about 4 months.  Nobody capitalized because it would not get much press, nor would a great many readers or viewers of the major corps news agencies care, because they don't run with macs.

Although Macs do have their periodical security updates, there is something that I felt really detracted when one downloads an item for installation of reference for a Windows based machine.

Whenever there is a security patch available for the Mac, it comes from Apple and it tells me what item in my computing setting it is going to upgrade. 

What really bugs me about whenever I install an item to make a software pack work better in my Windows machine is this "global.....something" that pops out and asks me whether I want the system to allow it once or remember the choice.  Sometimes this warning comes so often, whenever I do something with the Windows that I wonder, whether it is something that is meant to function correctly with a software in my comp or it is a spyware/malware that is attempting to change the my OS. 

I am no software engineer nor are many of the people out there that use Windows based computers or Apple computers, but this issue of sometimes simply having to shoot in the dark whenever I need to do something is really bothersome. 

I think one of the biggest things that need to be tackled with other OS is this constantly "pro active" security stance when one goes computing.

I remember once reading an article in the NYTimes that talked about people simply not bothering to fix their computers once they become so bogged with malware.  Due to the affordability of new PCs, people used then for one year and once when they stop working, they throw and get a new one up, until the next time. 

Not to make sweeping generalizations but for many the idea of talking to a tech in either India or elsewhere about issues with their computers for hours on end is not really appealing. 

One thing that saved me from wiping my HD out and clean booting from scratch was the "recovery" feature available in XP.

Levi

« Reply #94 on: 7 Feb 2007, 02:59 am »
Hi Woodsea,

The best comes to people who wait.   I am sure the price on those quad core chips will go down this spring 2007.  They said that they are cheaper to manufacture compaired to dual core chips.   

Hopefully, I am still alive to see an OS/Computer system they showed in "Minority Report" movie.  You never know 20 years from today, Mac and Windows will merge.  aa  I really believe it since both platforms support the same chpsets.

A little hx.  I am a pc guy who used to tinker all the time with my computers.  My most recent purchase for my wife was a souped up macbook.  My desktop came back dead from UB.  So I am really looking for a new computer.  I went to CompUSA yesterday.  The tech woman there told me that home premium is rock solid, she has been using it for 2 months with out a problem.  Now my quest is for the best CPU for my needs.  HTPC is the way I am leaning, and real hard.  HP has a very nice config, but I think I wanna wait for the quad cores. 
So this month...next month I will be buying an HP minitower hopefully with a quad and by then I can choose between more than 2 DX10 vid cards to buy to insert myself.
I will be going to home premium, because the techy told me Vista ultimate has come back to her shop more than it should!
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2007, 03:13 am by Levi »

Levi

« Reply #95 on: 7 Feb 2007, 03:12 am »
Hey Paul,

Just picking up on your post.  I am still waiting for you to throw away your Dell.  :lol:

Levi
I remember once reading an article in the NYTimes that talked about people simply not bothering to fix their computers once they become so bogged with malware.  Due to the affordability of new PCs, people used then for one year and once when they stop working, they throw and get a new one up, until the next time. 

Not to make sweeping generalizations but for many the idea of talking to a tech in either India or elsewhere about issues with their computers for hours on end is not really appealing. 

One thing that saved me from wiping my HD out and clean booting from scratch was the "recovery" feature available in XP.

Bemopti123

« Reply #96 on: 7 Feb 2007, 03:17 am »
Hey Paul,

Just picking up on your post.  I am still waiting for you to throw away your Dell.  :lol:

Levi

Dude, when I get another Darth Vader box exclusively for gaming or overseas interneting, I will dump that junker.   :thumb:  It still works, but what I said before, about security access and global something, that bothers the heck out of me.

In terms of Minority Report future.  We might be there sooner than what we might think.  I say about 10 years.  Remember that the internet was NOTHING until just about 6 years ago, who would have dreamed what we are witnessing now.  Streaming commercial, bit torrents etc...  10 years and we will be zooming with the JETSONS. :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #97 on: 7 Feb 2007, 03:22 am »
Hey Paul,

Levi

Hey!

Levi, I threw my Dell with it viruses infested and frequently crashes Window 98 out nearly 4 years ago. Yup, I put it right out on the sidewalk :lol:

Oh! BTW.... I took out the HDD from my Dell before I threw it out. Still have it... need to destroy it some how :?

I don't think I could go back to Window based system again. For my work and play Mac work perfectly and better than Window :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2007, 04:40 am by SET Man »

Brad

« Reply #98 on: 7 Feb 2007, 03:25 am »
Just drill a hole in the hard drive....

Val

« Reply #99 on: 7 Feb 2007, 04:44 am »
Most Antivirus that is designed and installed on Windows XP may also have compatibility issues.  If one is lucky, one maybe able to upgrade their Antivirus software to support Vista.
Avast! is free and compatible with Vista.