Acoustic Zen Adagios and Sig. 70s -- first impressions

jrebman

Well, it finally happened, and my new, dealer demo, well broken-in, Adagios arrived and were setup yesterday afternoon.  Speaker cables were connected, switches on the Sig 70s flipped into the on position, and the play button hit on the CDP, and... WOW!  Music!  Lots and lots of it, sweet, silky smooth, and extension on both ends like I've never had in my house.

Mind you, this is with a pair of amps that has less than 75 hours on them, so I'm sure things will get even nicer as the amp break-in progresses.

So, the question many are probably wondering about is: how well do the Sig 70s push an 89 dB, 5 ohm 2-way with a 4th order LR crossover in it?  Well, this morning I cranked it up as loud as I could take it with some very dynamic music from African artist Dobet Gnahore and there was no sign of either the amp or the speakers giving up on anything.  No glare, no bottom end flabbiness, no tweeter break-up, nothing again but music, music, music.

My dealer -- who deals in the real high-end stuff -- also thought the Sig 70s sounded wonderful with the Adagios, and they are people who are not easily impressed.

Ok, all this is *very* preliminary, and time will be needed for a full evaluation, but at the very least the initial impressions are more than favorable, and without a doubt, the Sig 70s have more than adequate power to drive these speakers to levels beyond anything I would consider enjoyable or safe, and with no sign of coming apart at the seams.

I do have a fairly small room, so as usual, YMMV, but unless you're trying to fill a concert hall, this looks like a great match.

-- Jim

cfcjb

Re: Acoustic Zen Adagios and Sig. 70s -- first impressions
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2007, 01:11 am »
Just out of interest what amp/amps did the signature 70s replace?
I have a Plinius 9200 Integrated which I will be replacing with the Signature 70s.

cfcjb

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2007, 01:14 am »
Also anyone with a pair of Signature 70s in various states of being broken in (but not down) or those who have broken them in, I would appreciate it if you could post your impressions.
Please include your current system and or previous amps as a point of comparison.

Thanks,

J.

jrebman

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2007, 01:20 am »
The answer is a bit convoluted because I didn't just replace the amps, but the speakers as well.  I used to have a fully modded Clari-T driving a pair of Abbys, and then bought both the Sig 70s and a pair of Omega Revolutions, sold the Clari-T, and moved the Abbys to my office, where they are to be powered by any number of valve amps ranging from 2.5 watts to about 17 watts.  Now I have 3 pairs of speakers in the house, and one has to go so the Abbys will be sold and the Revolutions moved to my office.

So, the Adagios never had any other amp on them, and the last amp I had in my living room was the Clari-T.

Sorry, that probably doesn't give what you were looking for.

-- Jim

quote author=cfcjb link=topic=36522.msg325376#msg325376 date=1170205885]
Just out of interest what amp/amps did the signature 70s replace?
I have a Plinius 9200 Integrated which I will be replacing with the Signature 70s.
[/quote]

cfcjb

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2007, 01:57 am »
Jim,
thanks for replying none the less.
You're right, it's not exactly the answer I was looking for. I'm in search of someone who has had a similar solid state amp. That is smooth yet detailed and  quite powerful. I hazard to use the expression "tube like" but as it's a cheap quote the Plinius does have tube amp like qualities. Exceeding smooth mid-range, delicate highs. I'm eagerly awaiting my 70s (still quite a ways off) so that I can A/B them.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2007, 02:09 am by cfcjb »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2007, 01:13 am »
Speaker cables were connected, switches on the Sig 70s flipped into the on position, and the play button hit on the CDP, and... WOW!  Music!  Lots and lots of it, sweet, silky smooth, and extension on both ends like I've never had in my house.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for posting your initial impressions of the Sig 70s + Acoustic Zen Adagios.  It sounds like they are playing nicely together!  aa

I had a good feeling that the Sig 70s would have plenty of power for the Adagios.  If I can use the Sig 70s to drive Maggie MG12s with very good results (of course, I'm not in a large room either  :wink:) the Adagios have to work out!  :green:

Also anyone with a pair of Signature 70s in various states of being broken in (but not down) or those who have broken them in, I would appreciate it if you could post your impressions.

Hi cfcjb,

These threads might be worth checking out (for Sig 70 feedback):

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=35246.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=34175.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=33837.0

Paul Candy informed me that he is close to being finished with his Signature 70 review for 6moons.  Hopefully it will be released sometime next week...

Best regards,

Vinnie