Are the Signature - 70 Monoblocks any good?

RoadTripper

Are the Signature - 70 Monoblocks any good?
« on: 30 Dec 2006, 08:34 pm »
I've got around 150 hours on my Red Wine Audio Signature 70s. I put on Rossini's "Italien in Algiers" the other night. That opera has never really tripped my trigger all that much, but the other night it blew me away. I never really noticed how great it [that opera] is until hearing it with my new amps. This can't be attributed to detecting new music details not previously noticed. It has to be more like a qualitative leap. A difference in kind and not a difference in scale, though there is that as well.

Rather than carry on trying to find new words to report my findings, I scoured the archives here and these are some of the comments that brought me to the purchase.

I think you have just created a Solid State SET

You mean to tell me that this is going to get better??  Wow, that seems so hard to believe since there is so little to complain about now.

They sounded great right out of the box but what I am listening to now is sound in a different realm.

I can't help but be drawn into the listening room by some musical phrase that just sounds stunning and demands my attention. these are truly the real deal!

"These really are the shit, aren't they?" It wasn't really a question.

It's pure magic, "involving" and "musical" in a way that lets the music draw me into a sort of trancelike state where everything else just kind of drifts away.

The Sig 70s have some serious drive.  I am hearing better bass than I have ever heard in my room with a variety of amps, pre-amps, speakers.

I cannot imagine at this point, a better sound in my home than this amplifier lighting up the B202 on OB. [This one was a Sig 30]

I cannot take the Signature 30 out of the system...it is addicting...seductive...
beguiling...fantastic...

the Signature 30 gets out of the way...there is no amp
there...only...MUSIC...THROBBING...PULS ATING...in a thoroughly NATURAL
presentation...

there is no disconnect in refinement shifting gears between the Signature 30 and the other amps, Music Reference 45 in Richard's case, and Korneff 45 in mine. That this thing can hang with those amplifiers right out of the box should tell you something, and the 45 tube is well known as audio crack, it is that addictive

Folks, this amp is green and is therefore at its worst right now. At its absolute worst, as new, it is beginning to astound me completely. [Sig 30]

suffice it to say that this thing really is special. My only amplifier is a SET PX-25, and so my ears are tuned in to the big triode sound, and I can only say that my ears suffered no real tube withdrawal with this digital amp. I don't even want to say it mimics a tube amp because to me at least, it has its very own sound, an open and bottomless sound, like this abyss, created by (I suppose) the otherworldly low noise levels, do something that affects the psychoacoustic interpretation of the music.[Sig 30]

This amp has no trouble at all driving my VMPS RM40s. Overall, if I had to put down some of my own adjectives, they would be - huge, deep, powerful, fast, clear, nimble.

So, I answer my own question, "Are the Signature - 70 Monoblocks any good?" in the resounding affirmative.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: Are the Signature - 70 Monoblocks any good?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2006, 09:24 pm »
Does your SB 3 have modded analog outs? Have you tried running the analog directly into the Sig 70's?

Cheers

RoadTripper

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2006, 10:49 pm »
No. My SB3 has no modded analog section. I am using the Scott Nixon DAC modded by RWA. I did try it straight but it was not good.

PLMONROE

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2006, 05:39 am »
How much better do you think they will sound with the RM-V60s? :drool: :drool: :drool:

RoadTripper

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2006, 06:40 am »
That brings up a good point. My RM40s are unchanged from the day I got them, except that I have probably turned the pots one way or the other. As for as messing around with putty, I haven't done it. But I think I need to. The bass in my hearing is a bit woolly or flappy. Not as tight as it should be, I think [or as tight as the Zu Druids]. Based on what I have read, I guess I need to add some putty.

So, I am not going to be coveting any RM-V60s until I know I have the RM40s performing optimally. Also, my wife saw the photos of the RM-V60s and wasn't too thrilled. Maybe some other veneers would be better.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2006, 07:08 am »
Seminarian :
So, I answer my own question, "Are the Signature - 70 Monoblocks any good?" in the resounding affirmative.
I've not heard the RWA 70's....but having the RWA Sig.30 here, I can imagine what your hearing....and its all good.  :dance:

My 30 has been running now for about a month (5 to 6 hours a night)....and I have no desire to rotate in any of my other amps....I'm enjoying it that much.....nice job Vinnie !!! :thumb:

Chris

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2006, 04:15 pm »
Hi Seminarian,

Thank you very much for your post and I am very pleased to hear that you are enjoying your 70s. 

According to http://www.vmpsaudio.com/RM40.htm

The RM40s are 4-ohm, so these will pull the 70 watts right out of the Sig 70s  8)

Also, my wife saw the photos of the RM-V60s and wasn't too thrilled. Maybe some other veneers would be better.

The Flying Wing looks cool... dipole!!!   aa

My 30 has been running now for about a month (5 to 6 hours a night)....and I have no desire to rotate in any of my other amps....I'm enjoying it that much.....nice job Vinnie !!!

Thanks, Chris!  When you say you don't want to change out your amp (or "Loan" it out), I take this as a very big compliment!  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:green:

Happy New Year, everyone!

Vinnie

RoadTripper

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2006, 05:32 pm »
This brings up another point. My "reference" amp has been the Clari-T. Look at those amps that lonewolfny42 has.

I don't have much cred compared to some other guys around here who know the sounds of a lot of other pieces of equipment.

-Richard-

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2007, 12:08 am »
Hi Seminarian ~

Seminarian: A student at a seminary: a school, especially a theological school for training
priests, ministers, or rabbis.

"I don't have much cred compared to some other guys around here who know the sounds
of a lot of other pieces of equipment."

You have an unerring sense of where the magic lies, Seminarian.

Vinnie's Signature 30 (I have not yet heard the Signature 70, I will be getting mine very soon...
I haven't been quite ready to give up the remote control of my Signature 30 until now)
is an incredibly sophisticated state-of-the-art musical instrument that renders the "inside"
of the music's architecture with uncanny depth and color...
there is an entirely new dimension to Vinnie's new Signature line of amplifiers
that tears open the "surface" of the music to expose the life that throbs
there waiting to be released... I listen to my Signature 30 every day.

Deb loves SET amps... but when she heard the Signature 30 she was really amazed... she
loves it at least as much as I do. If one's significant other is not into music now, they will
be, when you get your new Signature amp... it makes musical magic... and is as smooth as silk.

Warmest Regards ~ Richard

R Browne

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2007, 12:46 am »
If one's significant other is not into music now, they will be, when you get your new Signature amp.

I just received a Signature 30 one week ago. The first day listening to it, although straight out of the box, my wife noticed how musically detailed it is, yet refined and not abrasively etched. It really passed the test when she listened to two complete discs that she normally walks out on. And this is coming from inserting the Signature 30 in place of an Audio Note pre-amp and amp we've had for ten years. At this point we are nearing the 50 hour mark on the Signature 30 and I'm starting to hear it flesh out a bit and become more solid in the bass. I'm eager to see where it will be at when we get to the magical 200 hour point. So far, so good.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2007, 12:53 am »
Hi R Browne,

Welcome to Audiocirlce and the RWA forum!

The first day listening to it, although straight out of the box, my wife noticed how musically detailed it is, yet refined and not abrasively etched. It really passed the test when she listened to two complete discs that she normally walks out on. And this is coming from inserting the Signature 30 in place of an Audio Note pre-amp and amp we've had for ten years. At this point we are nearing the 50 hour mark on the Signature 30 and I'm starting to hear it flesh out a bit and become more solid in the bass. I'm eager to see where it will be at when we get to the magical 200 hour point. So far, so good.

Thank you for your post, and please keep us updated with your findings.  I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying your new Signature 30  8)

Vinnie's Signature 30 (I have not yet heard the Signature 70, I will be getting mine very soon... I haven't been quite ready to give up the remote control of my Signature 30 until now)

Hi Richard,

The 70s will be perfect for your OBs, especially if you are running the Omega Super 3 bipoles (with low-pass filter) in parallel with those B200s... the extra power will be appreciated at louder levels, and during dynamic passages.

I'm just waiting on the DACT CT-2 Mono stepped attenuator volume controls for the Sig 70s, and then I'll be able to start building the next batch for the recent orders... thanks for all your patience!

Best wishes,

Vinnie

-Richard-

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jan 2007, 06:05 pm »
Hi Vinnie ~

I am rather proud that I was one of the first people to receive the Signature 30 amplifier!!!!!

I have been extraordinarily attached to it... Deb and I love it... and we play it everyday.

When you started shipping your new Signature 70 amplifiers, I thought it was only fair
to let other music lovers have a chance to hear for themselves the extraordinary magic your
new line of Signature amplifiers can create... before ordering mine!!!! After all I have the
Signature 30... and with Remote Control!!!

I have been working on allowing myself to let my Signature 30 go, for the arrival of my new
pair of Signature 70 monoblocks... especially when you feel, Vinnie, that I will enjoy them
even more with my current set-up. That is why you received my order to purchase a pair
only last week.

I intend to write about anything I hear in the Signature 70's that might be of interest to
our family of AC members. I really am excited at the prospect of their arrival in the
not-too-distant-future!!!

Roger Modjeski wants me to play with a pair of 12" or 15" 1950's JBL wide-range drivers in OB,
that he has in his attic... Roger is also working on a new innovative approach to creating
an entirely new line of electrostatic speakers that he is now designing that solves every issue
that often surrounds that ordinarily difficult to implement speaker technology... and they sound
fantastic!!!!!!

I think the extra power of the Signature 70 amplifier will be most helpful to allow me to have
fun experimenting with these new speakers... and I intend to take the Signature 70's to Roger's
house for a listen on his new electrostatics when I get them!!!

Warm Regards ~ Richard

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2007, 12:09 am »
I think the extra power of the Signature 70 amplifier will be most helpful to allow me to have
fun experimenting with these new speakers... and I intend to take the Signature 70's to Roger's
house for a listen on his new electrostatics when I get them!!!

Hi Richard,

I will keep you posted on your Sig 70s...  I am confident that they'll be finished and shipped by the end of this month.  I am looking forward to hearing your impressions, and all your experiments with Roger's OBs and electrostatics.... wish I lived closer!  :wink:

Best regards,

Vinnie