Custom Speakers for HT

Bingenito

Custom Speakers for HT
« on: 27 Jan 2007, 03:34 am »
A very good friend of mine has a 60'x24'x14' HT room. No that is not a typo. He was looking for high output speaker with solid bass down to about 80Hz where his 4-15 custom subs and Crown K2's could take over. Rick and I starting looking at some options and came up with something that was high sensitivity, an easy load, high output and not too large.

The result is a WWMTM shown below: (yes that is my room because I decided to buy a pair as well. You will also see my unfinished 15" sub project)

JoshK

Re: Custom Speakers for HT
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2007, 03:42 am »
Looks excellent!  Details? Curious minds want to know.  What tweeter did you choose?

Bingenito

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2007, 03:45 am »
Peerless Nomex 8"
Dayton RS mids
Peerless HDS tweeter

These speakers are very smooth but still have detail. It is too early for a full report but I am really enoying them. Now if I can get that sub done  :drool:

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2007, 03:46 am »
very cool!  excellent combo.  Not far off from what Cristof was looking for. 

Bingenito

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2007, 03:50 am »
I practice what I preach  :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2007, 04:08 am »
top and bottom sealed, or bottom ported? You should be good for very high SPL with this combo.  I like high SPL.

Bingenito

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2007, 06:36 am »
Both top and bottom are sealed. The bass is very tight and punchy down to the target 75-80Hz in room. From there the subs take over. The cabinets exceed my expectations for build quality and finish.

I like high SPL too, especially for movies. The Panasonic XR55 is running in bi-amp mode and drives these speakers with ease. This is the 3rd speaker I have owned with the Dayton RS mids and I really like them. They have a slightly warmer more dampened sound then a Mag cone but the detail is still there. Kind of a happy medium so to speak. All things considered they are my favorite drivers anywhere near that price range.

Overall I could not be happier with the result of the project.

Tomorrow I head to Atlanta to deliver my friends pair and I will try to take some pictures to post. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2007, 01:33 pm »
Price?

George

Bingenito

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2007, 01:59 pm »
Price?

Not sure what the MSRP is since we did this as a custom job. I will let Rick address that.

BTW Rick did my friends with a fully tweaked crossover because he has a dedicated room for a built in rack and speakers that sit behind the wall of his monster room. In other words these speakers will be flush with the wall like large in walls but there is an entire room behind the speakers that is about 8ft deep.

Wait until you guys see his HT. It has a 14x20 bar with seating and a full kitchen + a pool table and a 10ft screen  :D

Bingenito

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2007, 05:10 pm »
As promised.... :drool:

Oh yeah the speakers   :lol:

Lindahl

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2007, 03:55 pm »
What's funny is that I came to Rick not too long ago with similar requirements (smooth, high-output HT, ideal integration at 80hz), so three kits of those are in my near future and will be going into a similar, but smaller, room (building at the moment). I'm glad they're working out for you and your friend! It's nice that all three of us could share the design fee - not that his design fee isn't already phenomenally low. I'm not sure if Rick would allow me to post the kit fee, or not - so I won't. Bingenito, if you want to share any more thoughts of them, I'm all ears. The building is making me impatient...
 :drool:
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2007, 04:13 pm by Lindahl »

Bingenito

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2007, 04:37 pm »
Being a dealer I get to hear a good amount of gear. In the same room that I have the un-named custom WWmtm I used to have the Peridot, 35F, Hiddenite, and a few other speakers by different manufactures.

For HT these custom speakers with a sub or 4 make watching a movie a very real, exciting experience. It is difficult for me to get excited about gear or speakers because I hear so much but hearing these custom speakers with tight, fast subwoofers made me want to watch movies all day. It reminded me of the first time I heard real home theater.

My own subwoofer project with a Dayton RSS390HF sealed and O-Audio 500 watt amp will now be on the fast track.

I realize that I am commenting on HT use but make no mistake these speakers are very refined and smooth. With a sealed sub they would be great for 2 channel in a larger room where more SPL is required. I would easily recommend these speakers for someone that has an integrated HT/ 2-channel system.

Lindahl- I think you are in for a treat!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2007, 05:30 pm »
Price?

George

$1,800 / pr. (shipping to the lower 48 USA included)

jono2channel

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2007, 03:47 pm »
Could these beauties be run "full-range"? What kind of box volume would we be looking at and what kind of extension. Looks like a cool 3-way, but I don't have a home theatre and I don't want a sub. :bounce:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2007, 04:06 pm »
Could these beauties be run "full-range"? What kind of box volume would we be looking at and what kind of extension. Looks like a cool 3-way, but I don't have a home theatre and I don't want a sub. :bounce:

The dual 8" cabinet would need to be about 2.25-2.5 cubic ft. to give you a -3db in the low to mid 40's. A good alternative would be a single AuraSound 10" like we use in the 3D.

mgora1

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2007, 05:34 pm »
As the owner of these new speakers I had to chime in.  All I can say is WOW!  When I approached Bryan asking to replace my current L and R for more SPL and a bigger sound I wasn't sure what he would come up with.  After several discussions and a budget he informed me that he and Rick had come up with a solution.  The anticipation was killing me until last Saturday when Bryan personally delivered the new speakers and calibrated the room.  We happened to be hosting a party for 80 people that same night and everyone was blown away by the sound of this system.  Whether watching a movie or listening to reference material in stereo these speakers have surpassed all my expectations. I was also amazed at the image these speakers throw out.  When listening in stereo I had to keep walking up to the center channel to make sue it was not on.  My hats off to both Bryan and Rick for delivering and then some!!!!!!

Matthew

Bingenito

« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2007, 08:37 pm »
Matt,

Glad that you are enjoying the speakers! I know that I enjoyed watching Walk the Line. See you next weekend :)

Bryan

Bingenito

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2007, 09:07 pm »
jono2channel:
Could these beauties be run "full-range"? What kind of box volume would we be looking at and what kind of extension. Looks like a cool 3-way, but I don't have a home theatre and I don't want a sub.

With the current 8" woofers the bass rolls off at 80Hz as designed to mate with subwoofers. If you wanted to use the same cabinets I might recommend replacing the Peerless Nomex with 2-7" woofers ported.

Some quality options without breaking the bank:
* 2-Peerless Exclusive 7" Approx F3 46Hz
* 2-Dayton RS180-4 7" Approx F3 50Hz

The Dayton Reference series seem to have the lower F10. Rick used 2 of the 8ohm versions in the 35F I owned and they were not lacking in bass for my 12x15x8 room. Very enjoyable for music.

Bingenito

« Reply #18 on: 18 Feb 2007, 04:32 pm »
I will be building a custom subwoofer with the Dayton RSS390HF 15" woofer pictured in the photos on page 1. The subwoofer will join the custom Selah speakers for HT and 2 Channel use. Here is a wireframe drawing of the sealed enclosure that I did real quick to get an idea how I wanted the cabinet to look.

I am thinking about having it finished in Drape Mohangany with solid Mahogany inlayed edges. That should look nice next to the piano black speakers. Anyone have other veneer suggestions for the project?

Wood always gets darker and grain pops when finished. This is a raw sample:

gitarretyp

« Reply #19 on: 18 Feb 2007, 08:29 pm »
That's kind of a small'ish box for the 390HF. Have you considered the 390HO? I'm using one in a similarly sized box and am very happy with it.