What Features are you looking for in an Integrated?

Kevin Haskins

What Features are you looking for in an Integrated?
« on: 25 Jan 2007, 04:26 pm »
I'm spending some time today working on the integrated Exodus Amp design.   What type of features are you guys interested in seeing in the design?   I thought most people would use this as a budget or low-cost system since its an integrated.    Most would want a remote, three or four inputs and a subwoofer output.    I'm going to pass on the phono stage at the moment.   

Any other features you would like to see?   How about price range?   How important are costmetic features? 

RAW

Re: What Features are you looking for in an Integrated?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2007, 04:38 pm »
I think you about listed them all Kevin.
How about 2 sub out puts one for each channel?

Looking for the new model under the table now.

CornellAlum

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2007, 04:42 pm »
I would absolutely love to see a 24/96 capable digital input.  I don't know if it's possible, but I still am looking for the ultimate budget all in one solution without all the garbage attached to it.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2007, 04:55 pm »
I would absolutely love to see a 24/96 capable digital input.  I don't know if it's possible, but I still am looking for the ultimate budget all in one solution without all the garbage attached to it.

It would be fairly easy to add a DAC.   I've been interested in designing something for a long time.   I was thinking a USB based unit so that people could use their computer as a music server.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2007, 05:10 pm »

Kevin, how about a tubed preamp section(6SN7 if possible)? Don't think budget, but more high end!! Use high quality parts! I'd pay $5K for a really good integrated. Just some food for thought.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2007, 06:00 pm »
I like the tubed pre thought but it would likely be something I'd add down the road a little.   It has certainly been on my mind though as I've talked with Doc Bottlehead about helping me with the preamp design.

dhiebert

• http://darrenhiebert.com
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2007, 10:26 pm »
However about a passive volume control, leaving all the amplification to the amp section?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2007, 10:44 pm »
However about a passive volume control, leaving all the amplification to the amp section?

That is pretty much what we are planning.   I don't really need any more gain than the Hypex module can already supply.   We would just use one of the Bent Audio resistor based units with the remote control module so it would at least be a true stepped attenuator type remote rather than just a Alps pot which is what most low-cost solutions would use.   It would also provide mute, & balance options.   I also thought it would be handy to have a variable subwoofer control that can be operated with the remote.

Price would be up around $1.5K or there abouts. 

WEEZ

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2007, 10:47 pm »
I'm probably in the minority, but a line level ouput (rec out) is a useful feature...either for recording, or for a headphone amplifier...

TomW16

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2007, 06:46 pm »
I would think that a home-theater bypass would be useful for those looking to integrate a high quality stereo system into a hometheater.

Take care,

Tom

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2007, 07:11 pm »
I would think that a home-theater bypass would be useful for those looking to integrate a high quality stereo system into a hometheater.

Take care,

Tom
Me too.
I like the built in DAC/USB idea also.

Carl V

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2007, 04:59 am »
Since you're asking....I'm probably in a distinct minority but,
Mono switch, Balance, Tone controls.  Pre-outs & main inputs.

I just helped a colleague put together a Krell system.  Based
on Krell SACD & 400i Integrated deVore Silverback.  WOW!

Integrateds need not be seen as mid-fi...bargin bin...entry level.

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2007, 11:06 pm »
This: http://forum.carstereos.org/showpost.php?p=565837&postcount=4

With separate sub channels for L/R instead of two that are simply split.

A reasonable price would be nice too.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2007, 11:41 pm »
This: http://forum.carstereos.org/showpost.php?p=565837&postcount=4

With separate sub channels for L/R instead of two that are simply split.

A reasonable price would be nice too.

Is Wiggins talking about the Vaza?   This will be a different product.   I'm looking at a fairly simple 2-ch integrated.   

I'm going to do a multichannel preamp later this year.    I really liked the idea of the Vaza.   I absolutely hate most processor/recievers.   They have way more complexity than is needed.   I'm doing an install now and the biggest problem I have is teaching my clients how to use it.   All the surround modes and input switching is beyond their desire to learn and the complexity has them afraid of using their system.    The great thing about the Vaza was that you could buy a reasonable DVD player with analog outputs, use it for the processing and just control everything in the analog domain.    You have one box doing the processing, one box to set-up the surround delay, levels and speaker management.   It just keeps the application as simple as possible.   

My idea for the preamp is very similiar to the Vaza except it will have a remote for all the channels.   Besides on/off, volume up/down, mute, DVD functions and a seperate subwoofer volume adjustment what do you need to control once your in the chair with the popcorn?
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2007, 11:53 pm by Kevin Haskins »

kbuzz3

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2007, 03:16 am »
ehh..not really a feature per se but i wouldnt mind if it sounded like a tube amp  :lol:

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2007, 04:20 am »
That post was for the successor to the Vaza. A Vaza II if you will.

If it's stereo only, not much more I would ask for than stereo sub outs (as if that's needed for Extremis based systems), treble/bass contour and loudness control. A remote is a must.

kfr01

« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2007, 03:39 pm »
At least 1 pair of XLR inputs. 
Stereo subwoofer out. 
Remote control.  Volume up and volume down.

That's about it.  Remember, those interested in a stereo integrated are shooting for simple. 

Tone controls?  That'd be a huge turn off for me.. and probably most other 2-channel people.

kfr01

« Reply #17 on: 3 Feb 2007, 03:42 pm »

It would be fairly easy to add a DAC.   I've been interested in designing something for a long time.   I was thinking a USB based unit so that people could use their computer as a music server.

If you would pull this off: 

USB DAC + Remote volume control + UCD amplification, I think it would be a very popular product. 

kbuzz3

Is this a 2007 product?
« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:13 pm »
Just curious as to the anticpated launch?

Kevin Haskins

Re: Is this a 2007 product?
« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2007, 12:39 am »
Just curious as to the anticpated launch?
I'm working on a basic integrated to release first.   It will use the Bent Audio resistor based attenuator boards, remote & input switching to provide multiple inputs, remote volume & balance control.   

I'd like to have something in production by mid-Summer 2007.