Premier solder

Lou

Premier solder
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jul 2003, 01:50 pm »
Quote from: Seano
As for Lou's comments about AKSA's in low res systems (though I would've prefered a less dramatic term if I could come up with one) I will agree that I'm probably one of those people.

Hi Seano,

That was never intended to be a slap in anyone's face, but a simple statement of what I believe to be fact. I blame the audio pushers for this too, not the folks. IMO, the reviewers, manufactures, and retailers are, to a very large extent, whores who lead folks astray, and do so knowingly.

"None of my gear is cutting edge nor is it big budget ( $300 CD player and $1500 speakers)"

Nor need it be to sound good, the problem is in knowing what $300 player is ok, etc.

"So now I'm interested in the prospect up upgrading components within the AKSA - does this count as a 'gross' change like a source replacement or a 'subtle' change like an interconnect replacement?"

Black Gate cap changes are not subtle in the least, they are like you bought a new, much better amp. Your little Aksa will smoke twice as many amps as it does now, if not more.

Lou

Premier solder
« Reply #41 on: 16 Jul 2003, 02:10 pm »
Quote from: Seano
Black Gate cap changes are not subtle in the least, they are like you bought a new, much better amp. Your little Aksa will smoke twice as many amps as it does now, if not more.

The difference is not subtle in the least. It is like buying a MUCH more expensive amp for a mere fraction of the cost.

Rocket

aksa systems
« Reply #42 on: 17 Jul 2003, 02:46 am »
hi lou,

interesting comments regarding caps.  i will admit to having almost no knowledge of electronics, i recently bought the nirvana upgrade for my aksa 100 and it easily improved the amp by about 20%.  wider soundstage, more 3 dimensional, better bass definition and by a wide margin a much better top end.  i was very impressed with the improvements.

just to clarify that you shouldn't make sweeping comments that all aksa's are in cheap systems.

although you probably haven't heard of company that built my speakers, as they were made by a boutique speaker designer here in perth western australia called w.a.r. audio.  the speakers are mtm design using raven 1 ribbon tweeter and 2 x 7inch 7k4211db focal kevlar drivers (about $400 us in parts per speaker box).  i also use the perpetual technologies p3a and pioneer pds 507 as a transport.  my preamp is a highly modded n.e.w. p3 preamp (oem built by cary audio).  i replaced my $3000us n.e.w. dc-66 (battery powered) amp with the aksa, the system has again improved with the nirvana upgrade.

i have been into audio since 1985 and have purchased quite a bit of equipment of the years and agree with your opinions of hifi dealers (sorry to any dealers reading this thread  :( ).  i now deal direct with the manufacturer or diy and my sytem has never sounded better.

best wishes

rocket

Lou

Re: aksa systems
« Reply #43 on: 18 Jul 2003, 02:46 am »
Quote from: Rocket
just to clarify that you shouldn't make sweeping comments that all aksa's are in cheap systems.

This is precisely why I never said ALL, though I most certainly said most. I do understand the importance of qualifiers. Most too may also be inaccurate, though for the reasons I have stated in other posts here, I certainly doubt it. I also tend to shy away from dealers, though it should be said that there are some with integrity, just not many, IMO.