AV-1RS Seating Distance Question

TomW16

AV-1RS Seating Distance Question
« on: 28 Dec 2006, 07:17 am »
I am very interested in the AV-1RS speakers since they should provide an envelopping sound based on the way that the sound bounces off of the ceiling.  I am thinking about a 7.1 home theater set up (4 surround speakers: 2 on the side walls and 2 on the rear wall) and I am wondering whether there is a practical limit as to how far away the listeners should be from the surround speakers?

My two side speakers will be approximately 5 feet away from the listeners but the rear surrounds will be approximately 10-11 feet away from the listeners since the rear wall is well behind the seating position.  Is 10-11 feet beyond the practical limits of the AV-1RS's design?  (I'm imagining that the sound hits the ceiling, the floor, the ceiling and then the listeners - I'm tired and about to head to bed so please forgive the crude explanation of sound/wave propagation)  :oops:

Thanks!

Tom

phoenix_rising

Re: AV-1RS Seating Distance Question
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2006, 09:04 pm »
Hi there,

You could easily change the angle where the speakers mount to compensate for the listening spot being much further away alternately you could mount them lower down on the wall, the first is preferable.

TomW16

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2006, 09:15 pm »
You could easily change the angle where the speakers mount to compensate for the listening spot being much further away alternately you could mount them lower down on the wall, the first is preferable
Thanks for the response Phoenix_rising.  By changing the mounting angle, I think that I would be playing with fire since the crossover was specifically designed to take into account the ceiling distance and, I'm assuming, the angle at which the drivers fire up to the ceiling. 

I figure the worst case scenario is to simply use a pair of AV-1s for the rear wall and use a pair of AV-1RSs for the side walls.  I am just wondering if anyone had any experience using the AV-1RSs and sitting somewhat far away.

Thanks.

Tom

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2006, 09:55 pm »
I think you have the right option to put the far rears in as AV1's and the sides as AV1-RS's.  I have four AV1-RS's but all are within 6' to listening positions, for which they work really well.  Tom

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2006, 10:01 pm »
Tom,

The sound doesn't bounce off of the walls like a pool ball hitting the sides of a pool table. The sounds spreads out in all directions from the point of origin.

The distance that you will be from the rears is fine. The farther away the greater the delay and the larger the listening field will appear. No adjustments are needed for distance.

The mounting height is the optimal based on measured responses. I'd stay as close to that as you can.

You might think about moving the mounting location of the side speakers a few feet more towards the rear though.

TomW16

« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2006, 10:38 pm »
The distance that you will be from the rears is fine. The farther away the greater the delay and the larger the listening field will appear. No adjustments are needed for distance.

Thanks very much for the response Danny.  That was the answer I was hoping for  :D

The mounting height is the optimal based on measured responses. I'd stay as close to that as you can.

The optimal mounting height is no problem. 

You might think about moving the mounting location of the side speakers a few feet more towards the rear though.

What do you feel is an optimal listening distance for the AV-1RS noting that I can definitely move the side speakers further back behind the listening position?  The width of the room at the listening position is 12 feet wide.  That is, approximately 5-6 feet from the listeners not counting any additional distance for height.

You can expect an order for 2 pairs of AV-1RS within the next few months.  :thumb:

Thanks!

Tom

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2006, 11:04 pm »
The information that they will get from most sound tracks is "rear" surround information. Meaning that they meant for it to sound like it is behind you. So moving the side wall speakers to several feet behind the listening distance will help stay a little more true to the original intent.

Optimal listening distance is not really different than any other speaker. How far is optimal from a standard A/V-1? There really isn't a good answer.

In home theater the larger the room the better, but most practical rooms are not that large.

The A/V-1RS will help make the room seam larger by increasing listening distances and by creating a non-localized sound field.

phoenix_rising

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2006, 12:11 am »
The information that they will get from most sound tracks is "rear" surround information. Meaning that they meant for it to sound like it is behind you. So moving the side wall speakers to several feet behind the listening distance will help stay a little more true to the original intent.

Optimal listening distance is not really different than any other speaker. How far is optimal from a standard A/V-1? There really isn't a good answer.

In home theater the larger the room the better, but most practical rooms are not that large.

The A/V-1RS will help make the room seam larger by increasing listening distances and by creating a non-localized sound field.

Thats what I like about this forum. You keep learning new things. I would love an ORS with an xbl woofer and a neo to match the ob5/7

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2006, 12:26 am »
I would love an ORS with an xbl woofer and a neo to match the ob5/7

That is what the O-3 is for.

When the shipment of the new M-130X with (XBL^ motor) gets here in a few weeks then I will try them as the rear woofer in the O-3 and see if there is a benefit.

TomW16

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2006, 01:55 am »
Here is the official speaker set up guide from the Dolby Labs web page.  The only difference in speaker set up between the 5.1 and 7.1 are the Left and Right Back speakers.

Thanks again for the advice Danny.

Tom