Anyone selling their Alpha's to buy LS 6's or 9's?

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
Anyone selling their Alpha's to buy LS 6's or 9's?
« on: 13 Dec 2006, 12:56 pm »
Hmmmmmmmmm :scratch:  I been waiting about a year to hear and probably purchase a pair of the LS 9's and I got to thinking ( I know this is scary ) this morning, maybe instead of always trying to be on the cutting edge ( which is expensive ) it would be smarter to pick up someones used Alphas and save some money aa

If you watch the progression of new equipment you can see it happen all the time.  The last big change here was.........VMPS RM  40's for 2-3K so everybody could buy Salk's.  Dodd reference pre's being sold to buy the new battery pre (which I have), and so on.  You know if I was a year or two behind the curve it might not be a bad thing and my gear would always cost about half of the new stuff :scratch: and still be top shelf.

Anyone planning on selling their Alpha's to finance their new speakers, LS9's?

GaryW

Re: Anyone selling their Alpha's to buy LS 6's or 9's?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2006, 02:04 am »
Almost a hundred views and no replies...

I'm not selling mine! I love my Alpha's. It took me about a year and a half poking at them weekends and a month of concerted weekend effort to get mine together. I have too many other projects to knock out before I upgrade speakers again (probably not in this lifetime  :D).

alotaklipsch

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2006, 03:03 am »
Hmmmmmmmmm :scratch:  I been waiting about a year to hear and probably purchase a pair of the LS 9's and I got to thinking ( I know this is scary ) this morning, maybe instead of always trying to be on the cutting edge ( which is expensive ) it would be smarter to pick up someones used Alphas and save some money aa

If you watch the progression of new equipment you can see it happen all the time.  The last big change here was.........VMPS RM  40's for 2-3K so everybody could buy Salk's.  Dodd reference pre's being sold to buy the new battery pre (which I have), and so on.  You know if I was a year or two behind the curve it might not be a bad thing and my gear would always cost about half of the new stuff :scratch: and still be top shelf.

Anyone planning on selling their Alpha's to finance their new speakers, LS9's?

In general, you are ABSOLUTELY correct, but, IMHO not on this one, the price they are selling the initial orders, I cannot believe will last.  Break it down, look at what Danny gets for the kit alone, I bought a new pair in limited edition cause I believe I could always resell at what I paid, or maybe even more.  The price HAVE to go higher,cause these is just no enough profit to stay in biz, at intro pricing.  These would retail for 12-20K if retailed........JMO, but, I have bought, tried and resold more than most audio stores in the past few years.  I currently own the Epiphany 12/12's, and have them pre-sold in favor of the LS9's....the 12/12's list for 16,500, and the finish is no where near as nice as the piano-rosewoods I have on order.  Not to mention the FULL RANGE sound :drool: :duh: :drool:After buying the Reimer Tetons for 50% of retail, and sellin em for 30% I vowed to NEVER buy new speakers again, but I am smart enough to know a steal-deal when I see one.

If ya don't buy em now, YOU LOOSE out....... :duel: :deadhorse: :flame: :banana piano:

jonwb

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2006, 03:43 am »
While I agree that the LS-9's look to be a great value, I plan on sticking w/ my Alphas.  I have plenty of other upgrades / tweaks to do w/ the rest of my system before the Alphas are my next "weekest" link. 

So I'll be keeping my babies:

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2006, 04:48 am »

Very nice Jonwb and GaryW.

Mind a few questions.

How far back do you listen to your monsters? From speaker to your chest.

Jon, how did you do your cab corners? I take it the cab is mdf with a veneer.

alotaklipsch:

Are you getting your speakers from AV123, or is Danny building the things for you?

I just spent 4 hours enwrapped in the OB 5's presence. I am thinking, what do I care about LS6's for. These OB 5s kill.

Rocket_Ronny

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2006, 07:04 am »
It's probably even harder to part with wonderful speakers when you actually built them yourself!

alotaklipsch

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2006, 07:40 am »
These are these are the one I just had built

http://picasaweb.google.com/tmoble/Stevewalls1213

They should be worldclass, for a while, at least :drool: :duh: :drool: :drool:

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2006, 01:15 pm »
Guys, thanks for your responses.  I thought it would be fun to hear from you all and also talk about upgradistis :icon_lol:  alotaklipsch can you start a new thread and tell us about those speakers?  Thanks, Guy

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2006, 04:55 pm »
These are these are the one I just had built

http://picasaweb.google.com/tmoble/Stevewalls1213

They should be worldclass, for a while, at least :drool: :duh: :drool: :drool:

????????

I thought we were talking about LS speakers? Are those K-horn drivers?

Rocket_Ronny

jonwb

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2006, 05:07 pm »
How far back do you listen to your monsters? From speaker to your chest.

I did a quick check this morning; I sit about 13 feet from the front of each speaker.

Jon, how did you do your cab corners? I take it the cab is mdf with a veneer.

I used 1/4" birch veneered plywood wrapped around 2 layers of 3/4" MDF.  For the corners I put a large (1-1/4" or so) chamfer running up the vertical corners, w/ my router.  Then I glued on 2" wide Birch edge banding, and trimmed it w/ a flush trim bit.  There are a few reasons I did it this way that I won't bore you guys with, but it worked pretty well.  There's a drawing I made that kinda shows it here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=127&pos=10

Funny thing about speaker kit building is that its pretty easy to just build them up and hear what they sound like.  The hard part; the part that takes real skill and talent is building them so the look good.  Overall I'm satisifed w/ how mine turned out. 

Midnite Mick

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2006, 05:22 pm »
You should be proud, not just satisfied.....very nice job indeed.

Mike

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2006, 05:23 pm »
Thanks jonwb for that.

Yes, your speakers look awesome, very nice indeed.

What is with the chainsaw in your gallery? Didn't like the first try at it?

Rocket_Ronny

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2006, 05:33 pm »

Man that's funny! :lol: I did the exact same thing a while back with some Sony gear, except I used a sledgehammer to adjust the settings. Took a picture and sent it to Sony. Told them their gear was a little sensitive to fine tuning. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

TomS

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2006, 05:41 pm »
I did this with an old couch in our basement once.  It had been moved to various houses during moves over the years and just wouldn't go away.  It was amazing how hard it was to saw up even with the reciprocating saw.  My wife and kids thought it was hysterical and cheered the whole time.  Of course, I wore safety glasses. 

Anyway, more on topic, if I do end up with LS-9's I sure hope they sound better than that.  I've heard some really bad speakers and seen some screwed up cabinetwork, but a chainsaw?

Tom

jonwb

« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2006, 05:43 pm »
Thanks jonwb for that.

Yes, your speakers look awesome, very nice indeed.

Rocket_Ronny

Thanks for the compliments guys.  I appreciate it.  RE: the chainsaw... its a long story I told a while back.  Here's a link:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=5464.0

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2006, 05:45 pm »
Sometimes, ya gotta bring out the big guns! :guns: :uzi:

Cheers

GaryW

« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2006, 02:08 am »
I'm about 9 feet back - they still sonically disappear fairly well. They'd really shine with more area, but can't upgrade the living room just yet...  :lol: :lol: I used cherry veneer and 3/4" cherry quarter round for the edges. Was quite a challenge to get it all right, but I'm pretty thrilled with the finish, and the wife loves them too. I have some construction pictures on an old thread here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=10297.