High End Shootout / Marketing Research - December 16th & 17th!

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Everyone,

True to form, I caught another bug that was going around and have been sick again.  Seriously, what is it with my immune system and germs? :)  Sorry to be absent for so long.  But there is good news out there...  There have been a few things cooking at The Home Theater Doctor and I'm here to tell you about them.

You may have noticed in my signature that there are a few new lines listed there.  I've gone through and eliminated a number of represented lines for various reasons.  I've also found a few new products/manufacturers that I really enjoy and have started selling their products. 

Therein lies the problem. 

As is the case in this industry right now, I'm a hard core 2 channel audiophile that is being hit in the face with the reality that home theater is what sells.  In reviewing my sales so far this year, an inordinate percentage of sales have been for home theater installs based around a Denon surround sound receiver, "entry level" speakers, and a flat panel television or projector/screen combo.

I want to sell and stock only 2 channel products.  But I wouldn't be in business that long if I went this route :(  So I need to stock and display what sells, and reduce my showroom space for high end 2 channel products.  That's where you all come in!

It's time for an old fashioned shootout!  For a somewhat sanely priced "reference" system, I need to decide which products will remain on display in my showroom.  I will take 2 full days (Saturday, December 16th and Sunday, December 17th) to demo different setups.  The equipment is listed below.  I will be seeking feedback from those in attendance as to which speaker and amplifier combination they prefer.  Based on the feedback, one setup will remain in that showroom on permanent display.  Some of the remaining pieces will remain should they be needed for demonstration purposes for specific customer requests.  Others will make their way into customers hands as demonstration equipment sales.   I know which pieces I want to keep no matter what.  But I'm not the customer.  So the hope here is that those in attendance can help decide which products will sell in this market based on sound, looks, price, etc.  I'm stubborn and pigheaded about some things :)  So I may keep things in spite of the feedback.  But at least you will have voiced your opinions and you're welcome to give me a few "I told you so" comments :)

None of the products are bad values.  Each product has its strengths and weaknesses and will appeal to different folks.  I would be happy to have any of the items in my own personal system.  But with limited floor space, I want to display the best value product that appeals to the widest audience.  Here's your chance to voice your opinion as to what those products should be!

Where:  My place (email for directions)
When: Saturday, December 16th and Sunday, December 17th 1PM-8PM (or until everyone goes home!)

I realize this is close to the holiday season for a lot of folks.  Unfortunately, because of delays in getting some of the new products in stock from the manufacturers, this was the earliest I could get everything in and have adequate time to get some break in on the various pieces.  If turnout is not adequate, I will hold additional meets after the holidays to elicit enough feedback from local customers.

The equipment to be compared:

Loudspeakers:

Usher Audio Be-20 (MSRP: $16,400.00) http://www.usheraudiousa.com/products/loudspeakers/dancer-series/be-20
Escalante Design Fremont (MSRP: $19K-$21K) http://www.escalantedesigns.com/viewer/home/fremont.asd

Amplifiers:

Butler Audio Monads (MSRP: $19,000.00) http://www.butleraudio.com/esoteric.php
Belles MB-01 monoblocks (MSRP: $12,000.00) http://www.powermodules.com/Monoblock.html
Belles 350A Reference monoblocks (MSRP $3995.00 each) http://www.powermodules.com/350A_ref.html
Cayin Model 860 tube monoblocks (MSRP $3295.00) http://www.vasaudio.com/cayin.htm

Sources will be the Oracle Audio CD1000 transport, Audio PC, and Slim Devices Transporter.  Preamp will be the Tact Audio RCS 2.2XP.  Cabling will be Analysis Plus, with Black Sands power cords and Running Springs Audio Mongoose power cords.  Power conditioning will be Running Springs Audio with a couple Jacos and Haleys being used.

In addition to the main thrust of the meet, time permitting, I will also showcase the Acoustic Zen Adagio speakers, show off my new custom subwoofers that I'm doing for local music and home theater rooms, and a few demos of new video gear, including HDDVD demos.

Beer, soda, munchies, and the usual pizza will be served.  Anything you'd like to eat or drink, you are more than welcome to bring along with you.

Please let me know via a response to this thread or an email to sales @ hometheaterdoc.com if you will be attending.  I look forward to seeing you all again!  I think this will be a lot of fun!
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2006, 09:06 pm by hometheaterdoc »

claud

I'll be there. I have no other comittments.

sheadlee

Shane,

Glad to hear that you are recovering  :thumb:!

I already have a commitment on the 17th...but I can probably come on the 16th...somewhere around 2:30 or so.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing the 'toys'.

See you then!

Hantra

Sweet!  I'm in.   :thumb:

Probably Sunday if that's cool. 

Carlman

I do not think I will be in town that weekend.... If it changes, I'll let you know.  However, I'd like to stop by sometime that's convenient... I'm very interested to hear all that purty stuff.  You've got a lot of great gear!

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
No Carl?  It's off then! ;)

I will likely have a Belles 28A preamp as well on hand for evaluation.  Since I don't do vinyl, I'm trying to figure out whether I should have the thing here or not... see whether or not it betters the Tact stuff by a wide enough margin to make stocking it a worthwhile endeavor, etc.....

I do have lots of purty stuff here right now.... too much purty stuff..... that's where you all get to help me out ;)

LadyDog

Shane,
Sounds like a great time, wished I lived closer.

Feel for ya - Had a friend who owned a shop and went through the same 2 channel/ht debate.  Actually kind of happened to him twice, he was awarded the contract to sell B&W but was struggling with keeping a few other lines(better speakers in his mind, or at least ones he preferred) vs. the B&W name alone selling itself and making some $.       

Glad you're feeling better.

Regards,
Jeff

richidoo

Re: High End Shootout
« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2006, 04:52 pm »
Glad to hear you are all better Shane. I am working on babysitters, but I hope to come portions of each day. Sunday is definite, will confirm Sat.

Thanks for the invite! I look forward to meeting everyone.
Rich

Jim Midkiff

Shane,

I remembered that you mentioned AudioCircle when we were talking about the Adagios. I "googled" it and it appears to be a great site.  I may try to attend your "Open House."   I'll confirm later if it works out.

Thanks,

Jim. 

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Everyone,

Some updates:

The Usher Audio Be-20 speakers have arrived and I, by myself, have drug these 350+ pound crates inside and unpacked them.  They're playing right now and seriously impressing me.

I'm still waiting on the arrival of my Belles MB-01 monoblocks in black.  Delays with getting black chassis parts anodized and machined.  I'm likely going to have the sales rep's silver pair for the show and may not have the 28A preamp to show.  The Belles 350A Reference with the new circuit is stupid good, though.  It really works with the speakers on hand.

The preamp for the demo will be Carl's tricked out Tact 2.0S.  We can compare it to a stock unit if people wish as I have one here in the same black finish (maybe Carl won't notice if the stock one goes back home with him ;) hehe).  But that should give the best possible sound and allow us to hear the other equipment at its best for this comparison.

I'll try to have as much of the gear as possible setup and ready to go this weekend.  A reminder to bring along any particular beverages you wish to consume.  I will have munchies (both healthy and unhealthy) and some refreshments.  Tell all your friends to come over and have a listen.  Please do let me know if you plan to attend via email or PM.

If anyone knows of alternate means to get the word out to local audiophiles, please let me know.  I'd like to get as broad a range of opinions and feedback as possible.  Take care and I look forward to seeing you all next weekend!!

Carlman

I think I'd notice. ;)  The uber-modified TacT has the latest mods with everything Anthony knows to do built into it by the man himself.  I find it astoundingly improved over stock.

I am also going to drop off some really nice interconnects as well if anyone is interested in hearing/seeing them.  I'm not sure you'll have the conditions to do cable comparos but I think it'd be nice to at least see them.

If you need any power cords, let me know.  I have almost everything Black Sand Cable makes now and I'll be out of town anyway.  BTW, I've found the Chromium and Silver Ref's to work VERY well on preamp's and the Violets a bit better for the PC or a cd player... they have different presentations.

Wish I could be there... sounds like some GREAT gear to review.

-Carl

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Re: High End Shootout / Marketing Research - December 16th & 17th!
« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2006, 01:07 am »
Hi guys,
I think I will be in.  We were going to the beach, but Shirl has out of town clients coming in and may still be here the weekend.  If so I will be over.

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2006, 05:07 pm »
Woohoo Tim!  It'll be great to see you again.

A quick update.  All hell has broken loose this week.  It was the same way last Christmas as well with everyone wanting to get stuff done last minute for the company they have arriving for the holidays.  There's nothing more enjoyable than crawling around under houses and in attics pulling cables at midnight :)  So I'm scrambling to make sure everything is setup properly for the event. 

A reminder that the better half will be helping me pick up a few munchies and make some food for the event.  I'll have a few beverages and plenty of soda, but if there is a particular beverage you wish to consume, please bring it along. 

The room is setup pretty live at the moment because that is what the Escalantes like.  I'm still fiddling with things to get it sounding the way I want. 

There is waaaaaaaaaay too much gear and inventory here at the moment, a lot of which is bound for upcoming installation jobs.  I'm trying to make the place presentable.  Here's hoping I succeed :)

There should be plenty of room to accomodate folks.  So if you know of anyone that might be interested in attending, invite them along.  Take care and see you all this weekend!  Remember, if you need any directions, just email me or give me a call and I'll talk you in.  It's pretty easy to find.

I know a lot of you have expressed interest in attending.  If at all possible, if you could reconfirm your attendance and which day it will be, that would be great.  If I have an approximate headcount, I can make sure I have enough goodies to go around. 

George

• spydernation
« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2006, 09:28 pm »
Reconfirming. I can come either day, so I will watch this thread and come on the "least popular" day to spread the load out a bit.

sheadlee

« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2006, 10:34 pm »
Shane,

I'm still planning on attending  :thumb:!

I will be coming on Saturday (for a change)...as I already had a Sunday commitment.

Carlman

« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2006, 10:44 pm »
Regrets again that I can't make it... However, just one tip/suggestion... Please measure the main speakers to the sweet spot as best you can (distance and tow)... I've found that makes a big difference.

I hope you all have a great time.  I haven't met this 'better half' but I've seen photos... so I'm pretty sure she actually exists... ;)

Happy Hifidays,
Carl

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:19 pm »
Not TOTALLY sure which day, but I believe a friend and I will be coming Saturday.  And don't sweat house/clutter.  If the better half is anything like mine, her 'barely presentable' is my 'fit for royalty'

Like they say, if you are coming to see me, come anytime.  if you are coming to see my house, give me two weeks notice.

miklorsmith

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:53 pm »
I won't be able to attend as I'm in Seattle.   :D

But seriously, as much as I love the TacT (I own one), I would not use it for comparisons.  The main reason is that it will change the sound and will not completely reflect the sound of the component on its own. 

Digital room correction is a great tool - I'm glad I found it.  However, most people don't have it and never will, so "equalized" performance of various gears is not the best comparison.

Nice collection for evaluations, BTW!

Hantra

« Reply #18 on: 16 Dec 2006, 03:20 am »
Shane:

I'll be there most likely Saturday.  Starting around 1 still?

Thanks,

B

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 16 Dec 2006, 11:53 pm »
Hey Everyone,

For those of you that stopped by today to listen, thank you very much.  I enjoyed having you all and appreciate all your thoughts on the various gear that was displayed and put through listening sessions. 

It appears the "Reality Room" was just as popular as the "Fantasy Room" for folks.  In addition to getting to hear some upper end stuff, everyone who listened enjoyed the smaller room with the more moderately priced Usher S and V series of speakers.  I think it was an enjoyable experience for some to realize how much speaker you can get for the money invested.  Lots of Squeezebox discussion as well.

I have my own biases that I took into the comparison of gear in the "Fantasy Room" (I'm still chuckling from having the terms coined.  I really need to get signs to put outside the rooms as labels ;) hehe).  It's nice to see that others seem to share those opinions.

I also thank everyone for their feedback.  This wasn't meant to be a scientific controlled experiment to compare A and B product.  I was just looking for people's thoughts on aesthetics and general sound quality for the dollar.  I will try some different cable and gear combinations tomorrow to see if that changes things up as far as opinions go.

It appears that the chili and the homemade cookies were hits of the party and the veggie plates wasn't as popular.  Heather thanks you all for the kind words and compliments I conveyed to her on your behalf.  For those that are making it tomorrow, we might not have enough cookies as they went fast today ;) (BTW Carl, for the early birds, they actually got to meet Heather in person instead of just seeing a photo... so I proved she really does exist :) hehe)

Once again, thanks for your attendance.  I look forward to doing it all again tomorrow.  I should be much better prepared for tomorrow and have things better setup and ready for your arrivals.  Take care!  I'm off to rebuild my Squeezebox server and restore my music files so that I can demo the Transporter properly tomorrow.