Paradisea DAC

tvad4

Paradisea DAC
« on: 14 Nov 2006, 09:47 pm »
I received my Paradisea DAC today from Taiwan...four USPS days to LA. Pretty darned good service. I was immediately surprised at the unexpectedly heavy weight of the unit. Considering it's in a plastic case, the unit is a hefty little bugger. It came with one tube installed. I don't know what brand the tube is since I haven't taken off the cover for a close look. Connected it to my dinosaur (but trusty) 1992 Sony ES CD changer via a $20 glass toslink cable. Plugged it in. Powered it up, and the blue light signalled systems go. Hit play on the changer, and the blue light turned to green indicating signal lock...and music began to play. Yes! Fleshy, wonderful music. My Sony changer is the only piece of gear remaining from my early 1990s rig. I love the darned thing. I've always felt it had a very nice, relaxed quality to it, but compared to running it straight and running it with the Paradisea, the music turns from grey and a little bland to bright tropical colors with lots of swing. The mids are emphasized. The top end extension is not quite at the level of my reference digital players, but I don't care! That's the beautiful thing about the Paradisea. Since it's built to be excellent, but not "The Best", I don't obsess about it's performance as it compares with other digital players. The Paradisea allows me to relax and listen to the music.

I'm presently on the hunt for a WE396a tube...

Pretty nice value for $535 delivered!

SET Man

Re: Paradisea DAC
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2006, 10:06 pm »
Hey!

Congratulation on your new "Paradisea" :D

I've heard one on Saturday at our NY Rave garthering. And I really like the sound of it.... Jim (Hogg) the owner said that it was not fully burn in yet... I think.

But the sound was great in the system. :D For the price I think it is an excellent value.

Well, enjoy and keep us posted after it broken in (100+ hrs would do I think)

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

PS
Like you I also use a $300 Sony SCD-C2000ES SACD/CD 5 discs changers feeding my DIY DAC kit.... and I love it!

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:18 am »
I've got his cheaper (non-tube) Dialoge II USB in the office now and it is very nice.  A noticable improvement over the Tivoli CDP I was using.  $250.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:27 am »
I think the Paradisea would be a great value at twice the price.

Shhh... you might go to there head....  :lol:  Most of the good values in hi-fi dissapear as quickly as they come.  As soon as people know about them they raise their price and so much for a good value..... 

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:47 am »
The 396a is a definite improvement over the stock tube.  Pretty much 'better everything' top to bottom.

Bryan

denjo

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:56 am »
I am using the WE396A tubes with the Paradisea and find that overall it sounds better than the National 2C51s. If clarity and detail is your preference, the latter tubes will satisfy. I have also experimented with digital out via Neotech silver digital cable and Nordost White Light Glass and prefer the Nordost which seems to allow the music to flow with effortless ease which the digital cable struggles to achieve.

I agree with Tvad4 that the Paradisea simply allows one to simply relax and listen to music!

Dennis

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2006, 02:38 am »
The 396 is a very nice tube when in the right system. The stock tube is sort of bloated but fear not. Now this tube is really hard to find but I think you'll like the Bendix black plate 2C51. It's not quite as lush as the WE but it is definitely smoother and more defined than the stock tube.

Give the DAC a few hours. I think the highs will get better as the caps get some time on them (as will the bass).

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:18 am »
I really don't get the uber rare expensive tube cult.  I'd rather put more effort and attention into design to overcome a particular tube's faults or trade offs then spend huge bucks on a tube or two that will last only so long.  But I am not the mainstream tube fanatic I guess. 

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:21 am »
I seem to remember that someone here on AC said they had a 50's Tung Sol 2C51 that they actually liked better than the 396a.  Don't know the rest of the story or his preferences but if one could be had reasonably, might try it.

Bryan

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:25 am »
Josh....

I'd rather put more effort and attention into design to overcome a particular tube's faults or trade offs then spend huge bucks on a tube or two that will last only so long.
Well....its only one tube for the dac, thats not so bad. I wonder how long it will last before tube replacement ?? :roll:

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:41 am »
Josh....

I'd rather put more effort and attention into design to overcome a particular tube's faults or trade offs then spend huge bucks on a tube or two that will last only so long.
Well....its only one tube for the dac, thats not so bad. I wonder how long it will last before tube replacement ?? :roll:

Small drivers like these have extremely long lifetimes (>10K hours) in almost any component.

Of course, when you buy NOS stuff, you've generally got no idea how much time they have one them.  Testing tells you something if you buy from a reputable guy.

I've yet to spend more than $50 on a single tube and can't see myself doing so.  I'm a fanatic in a lot of ways, but ultra-$ wires and tubes, can't do it.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:49 am »
IIRC, the Paradesia doesn't put a lot of stress on the tube.  I'd think 10k hours would be easily possible.  3 hours a day for 9-10 years for $50 or even $100?  Seems like a good investment to me.

Bryan

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:49 am »
Thanks for the info..... :thumb:

Chris

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:53 am »
Two tweaks that the Paradisea seems to like:

Good vibration control. A Herbie's disk on top helps too. Prefer them to Mapleshade brass.

A small sheet of Stillpoints ERS cloth laid on top (or underneath) without covering the vents.

I think the stock tubes are early 80's GE 5670. I use a Bendix Red Bank 6385 (with a Herbie's Tube Damper) and it is worth looking for. Never tried the WE 396 but given it's better availability and lower cost it's probably the better way to go.

tdangelo

« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2006, 04:09 am »
I seem to remember that someone here on AC said they had a 50's Tung Sol 2C51 that they actually liked better than the 396a.  Don't know the rest of the story or his preferences but if one could be had reasonably, might try it.

Bryan

Thats me ;)  I still have the 396a and have gone back to it a couple times.  The TungSol is more alive and yet smooth and sweet - the 396a was just a little dead in my room - smooth but uninvolving.  System synergy I guess ;)  I do use a Herbies tube damper - Cerballs underneath and Walked Heavyhats on top.  I'm using Bills (Response Audio) RAM cable on it - seems pretty immune to cables - I've tried a Sonoran Plataeu and PS Audio Xtreame Plus... not much difference to my ears  :?

Tony

Tony

Scott F.

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2006, 04:12 am »
Josh....

The tube only has 110 volts applied to it rather than 300 (or so) volts. It conceivably last for years if not a decade.

Josh, as for the uber rare and expensive tube cult thing....I paid $3 for my Bendix. I found it locally at a place called the Electronics Exchange. I cleaned him out of 2C51's and there was only the one Bendix.

I have to admit, I am a believer in the expensive NOS tubes. I've got quite a collection of them. Again, most of them were found locally in flea markets and antique stores but after listening to them in place of the more affordable tubes, if and when my stock runs out, I'd gladly shell out the bucks for a good Telefunkin, Mullard, or Seimens. They simply sound better (significantly better in most cases).

Tony is exactly right, its all about system synergy.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2006, 04:18 am »
I just checked on the Red Bank 6385.  The prices on eBay are outrageous.  However, found a site in Japan that has 38 of them and he wants about $51 each for them.

Bryan

denjo

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2006, 07:21 am »
Was wondering if any Paradisea owner leaves the DAC "on" 24/7! If any of you do and given the 10k life of the tubes, the DAC should be good for about 1 year and 1 month and 11 days! Some feel that turning the tubes on and off shortens the life of the tubes. I don't turn the DAC on 24/7 but over the weekends I leave the tubes glowing from Friday night until Sun evening. I guess its a good compromise. The sound does relax after about 1 hour or so!

GHM

« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2006, 08:14 am »
Thanks to a nice AC member. I'll get to try one out tomorrow! looking forward to hearing it. Has anyone thought about using a de-jitter/signal conditioner with this Dac. I've found NON OS Dacs are very sensitive to such things. It's almost a guarantee it will sound better with a Monarchy DIP/ upsampler or another similar unit in between the Sony transport and Dac. The difference is extremely noticeable. I'll test it on this unit and see if it makes a positive difference.

shep

« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2006, 08:47 am »
Sony made great transports. No need to oppologize. Their best were the inverted ones on the famous 7 es series, made until 91' I think, and used once again in the 3000 and 5000 es (shoe box's) If you have one, never let it go.