Paradisea DAC

Ferdi

Re: Paradisea DAC
« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2006, 08:57 am »
OT
Yep, have a Sony CDP X77ES. Have not seen a reason to change it.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #21 on: 15 Nov 2006, 09:19 am »
I added a used Monarchy 24/96 DIP a few weeks back. It's between my Pioneer 59 and the Paradisea. Once I got the DIP set up (vibration control and Stillpoints ERS) it was a positive addition. I run all home ripped DVD disks for music using Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo and .wav files from my CD's using EAC. I don't use fancy cables- just a Blue Jeans digital from the Pioneer to the Monarchy and a DH Labs from the DIP to to DAC. I feel I got my moneys worth from the Monarchy.

I bought everything used (except the Paradisea, Bendix 6385 and Blue Jeans cable) and have about 1400 bucks tied up in my digital front end.

Loftprojection

« Reply #22 on: 15 Nov 2006, 12:49 pm »
I also have a Paradisea also.  Tried a few different cheap tubes, also the National 2c51 and ended up with the we396a, much nicer then the others I tried.  Maybe one day I'll go for the uber expensive stuff but for now the 396a is very satisfying.

I've also done a few test with the transport.  Tried a cheap DVD, a high end one, two different CD players, and the top sound is coming out when I use a modded RWA Squeezebox2.  The sinergy of the SB2 with the Paradisea is really nice.  I don't know if it's because the SB is producing less jitter or whatever technical reason but the bottom line is good sound for me! 

That little DAC is a bargain.   :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #23 on: 15 Nov 2006, 02:59 pm »
Was wondering if any Paradisea owner leaves the DAC "on" 24/7! If any of you do and given the 10k life of the tubes, the DAC should be good for about 1 year and 1 month and 11 days! Some feel that turning the tubes on and off shortens the life of the tubes. I don't turn the DAC on 24/7 but over the weekends I leave the tubes glowing from Friday night until Sun evening. I guess its a good compromise. The sound does relax after about 1 hour or so!

It largely is a function of the circuit, whether turnings on tubes shortens their life but at the low B+ we are talking about, there is no worries of cathode stripping when turning on which is what shortens their life.  Tube regulation is another thing that helps this because of the slow come on of B+ after the heaters come on, but SS rectifiers with turn on relays or thermistors in the supply work the same way. 

shep

« Reply #24 on: 15 Nov 2006, 06:52 pm »
distant cousins. This is a great site, invaluable for older hi-end stuff. A lot of work went into it.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyes/CDPX7series/CDPX7.html. Like many Japanese companies, Sony did hi-end in fits and starts, following some obscure logic that probably they themselves can't fathom. A pity because there were some fabulous designs that were just dropped for no reason.
The Sony players of the 7 series are extreemly hard to find and with good reason. They are beautifully built, carefully implemented and will give years of pleasure. I was told once that there was hardly anything worth modifying without a total rebuild/rethink and it was not at all sure that the result would be worth it.
In months of searching, I found one on e-bay and it disappeared instantly. The 3000 and 5000es series are just as elusive. >Sorry I hi-jacked this thread!

GHM

« Reply #25 on: 15 Nov 2006, 07:11 pm »
I added a used Monarchy 24/96 DIP a few weeks back. It's between my Pioneer 59 and the Paradisea. Once I got the DIP set up (vibration control and Stillpoints ERS) it was a positive addition. I run all home ripped DVD disks for music using Cirlinca DVD Audio Solo and .wav files from my CD's using EAC. I don't use fancy cables- just a Blue Jeans digital from the Pioneer to the Monarchy and a DH Labs from the DIP to to DAC. I feel I got my moneys worth from the Monarchy.

I bought everything used (except the Paradisea, Bendix 6385 and Blue Jeans cable) and have about 1400 bucks tied up in my digital front end.

Hey nothing wrong with that..I use the BLJ cables also. I'd rather put the extra money in a component that will actually give me a technical explanation for the differences I hear. Cables get too personal..to be an exact science.

I also use the same 48/96 Upsampling Monarchy...I'll definitely try it with and without. Will the Paradisea accept the 96 kHz or just 48 kHz like my Audio Sector Dac? I didn't check to see what receiver chip it used. I think the CS8414 will accept the higher sampling rate unlike the CS8412..not sure though.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2006, 07:15 pm »
Chiming in late, but this is a fabulous DAC, isn't it? I'm driving mine with a PC via a HagUSB and using a TVC (Promitheus) into an AMC el-34 tube amp driving Omega TS-1's and the sound is amazing - smooth and detailed. The bass drive of the DAC is very impressive. I have no desire to replace it, which is the first for me and any digital system I've had.

I'll also second the WE 396A. Got mine from Antique Electronic Supply. The Tube World cyro 396a is tempting but I don't think I need to spend the $$ at the moment. Oh yeah, and BJ cables. They rock!

One tweak worth considering is to shield the two transformers with ERS. I made two little open boxes and slid them over the transformers.  I was getting some noise transmitted into the TVC and this totally quieted things down.

slugworth

« Reply #27 on: 15 Nov 2006, 08:53 pm »
 I had some serious EMI from my Paradisea when I first got it. I discovered that putting it on the shelf below rather than above my preamp reduced 95% of this. I've read that putting ERS inside a component is a tricky business, since any particles that come off may be conductive. Can anyone confirm this?

tdangelo

« Reply #28 on: 15 Nov 2006, 08:55 pm »
One tweak worth considering is to shield the two transformers with ERS. I made two little open boxes and slid them over the transformers.  I was getting some noise transmitted into the TVC and this totally quieted things down.

Hi,  would it possible for you to take a pic of how you shielded the transformers?  Since there's limited space in there are you worried about the conductivity of the ERS material on its edges?  I've been told the fiber from ERS can be dangerous??

Thanks
Tony

tdangelo

« Reply #29 on: 15 Nov 2006, 08:55 pm »
I had some serious EMI from my Paradisea when I first got it. I discovered that putting it on the shelf below rather than above my preamp reduced 95% of this. I've read that putting ERS inside a component is a tricky business, since any particles that come off may be conductive. Can anyone confirm this?

hehe - we posted about the same thing at the same time ;)

Tony

Bwanagreg

« Reply #30 on: 15 Nov 2006, 09:30 pm »
Since there's limited space in there are you worried about the conductivity of the ERS material on its edges?

Two words: electrical tape! I just wrapped the bottom of the ERS with it to prevent any shorts where the ERS touches the circuit board. I didn't worry about the outside of the transformers since they are already insulated. Zero problems to date (I did this a few months ago). I'll try to get a picture.

NewBuyer

Paradisea DAC
« Reply #31 on: 15 Nov 2006, 09:44 pm »
...I also use the same 48/96 Upsampling Monarchy...I'll definitely try it with and without. Will the Paradisea accept the 96 kHz or just 48 kHz like my Audio Sector Dac? I didn't check to see what receiver chip it used. I think the CS8414 will accept the higher sampling rate unlike the CS8412..not sure though.

Paradisea uses CS8414 and does accept 96kHz. I get a very nice improvement using a GW Labs DSP with the Mhdt Labs Constantine DAC. Even better still with a Burson Audio Buffer after the DAC. Best sound period with a BBE Sonic Maximizer 882i between the DAC and Buffer. I love this hobby! :D

ryno

« Reply #32 on: 16 Nov 2006, 12:35 am »
What does EMI sound like? Is this a result of poor enclosure choice?
I'm interested in trying a NOS, but a little put off by having to fix problems.
Ryan

denjo

« Reply #33 on: 16 Nov 2006, 12:48 am »
Yes, I observed EMI when placed directly on top of my Bent Audio TAP. There is a low, audible hum when I select an empty source button. I would also suggest owners to check the digital in (RCA AND optical) functions. The first unit had a defective optical and had to be sent back. Fortunately Mhdt were very prompt in responding to my distress and canclled the Paypal, pending despatching a replacement. As I said, the Paradisea is a fantastic overachiever - for the price! Music just flows with it!

GHM

« Reply #34 on: 16 Nov 2006, 12:51 am »
What does EMI sound like? Is this a result of poor enclosure choice?
I'm interested in trying a NOS, but a little put off by having to fix problems.
Ryan

Yup since you do use a TVC...I would just keep the Dac as far as possibe from the TVC. Hell..my Dac doesn't have an enclosure at all :lol:..no hum here...but it is three shelves up from the TVC.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #35 on: 16 Nov 2006, 01:33 am »
Here is a pic of my ERS shields. The electrical tape holds them together and is placed wherever contact with a circuit might happen. The bottom of the ERS boxes rest 1/8" or so above the circuit board so nothing much touches then anyway - except a power line stud on the other side of the picture. I was extra careful to insulate that part! I don't "blame" the DAC for this problem so much as the TVC - susceptibility to EMI is a known weakness of the design, but as others have said careful placement can fix it. I had the ERS lying around so I decided to give it a shot.

Oh yeah, and you can see the HAL tube damper - mandatory for every tube in my system.

I tweak therefore I am.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2006, 01:44 am by Bwanagreg »

tdangelo

« Reply #36 on: 16 Nov 2006, 03:55 am »
Thanks for the pic ;)

nicksgem10s

« Reply #37 on: 16 Nov 2006, 05:04 am »
Tvad and other Paradisea owners...have you tried many different transports feeding this dac?  Tvad, I know you mention your reference digital player, have you tried the digital out from your best player to the Paradisea just to see what kind of difference there is in sound?  I am just wondering how transport quality will change the playback with the Paradisea.  Thanks for all the great information as usual.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #38 on: 16 Nov 2006, 07:07 am »
Tvad and other Paradisea owners...have you tried many different transports feeding this dac?  Tvad, I know you mention your reference digital player, have you tried the digital out from your best player to the Paradisea just to see what kind of difference there is in sound?  I am just wondering how transport quality will change the playback with the Paradisea.  Thanks for all the great information as usual.

I have not tried another source, because I know the Paradisea will not measure up, and it's such a musical DAC, I'm enjoying not comparing anything. Since I don't own it with the intention of extracting the most resolving sound, I can enjoy it with a less than SOTA transport. I know that doesn't help anyone looking for the proverbial Giant Killer, but that's my approach with this unit.

Frankly, owning the Paradisea is causing me to rethink the benefit of owning a reference digital source.
My Constantine ain't getting no respect!  :(
The builder of the Paradisea states that the Constantine, the non-tubed version of the Paradisea, has better resolution. :) I feel that the Constantine is being overlooked because most on this forum assume that the more expensive tubed version of the same dac has got to be better. On the other hand, perhaps some choose the Paradisea because tube rolling is fun, easy and cheap with the single tubed Paradisea. Maybe the tube buffer can detract from certain areas of performance. I like the Constantine because it does not have the tube buffer and tube qualities can be added elsewhere in my system. I guess it is a matter of balance and synergy.

Raja
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2006, 07:48 am by rajacat »

GHM

« Reply #39 on: 16 Nov 2006, 08:27 am »

I have not tried another source, because I know the Paradisea will not measure up, and it's such a musical DAC, I'm enjoying not comparing anything. Since I don't own it with the intention of extracting the most resolving sound, I can enjoy it with a less than SOTA transport. I know that doesn't help anyone looking for the proverbial Giant Killer, but that's my approach with this unit.

Frankly, owning the Paradisea is causing me to rethink the benefit of owning a reference digital source.

:lol: So let me get this straight you know it will not measure up. Yet you run your Dac with a 14 yr old transport and will not tweak it like you would a $5000 player? But it has you rethinking the benefit of owning a reference digital source.

Wow you just contradicted yourself. :lol:
Apparently it's measuring up quite well if that's the case. The goal isn't to get the most extreme detail..it's to get the most enjoyment out of the system. Tvad you're spending too much time on the Agon forums. :D  As long as it's getting you there.. that's all that matters though. Being able to enjoy the system has absolutely nothing to do with being a "giant killer".

Good listening

Hi Nickgem, the guys that have tried these units with the Monarchy DIPs..pretty much proved the transport used with the dac will make a difference.

My Constantine ain't getting no respect!  :(
The builder of the Paradisea states that the Constantine, the non-tubed version of the Paradisea, has better resolution. :) I feel that the Constantine is being overlooked because most on this forum assume that the more expensive tubed version of the same dac has got to be better. On the other hand, perhaps some choose the Paradisea because tube rolling is fun, easy and cheap with the single tubed Paradisea. Maybe the tube buffer can detract from certain areas of performance. I like the Constantine because it does not have the tube buffer and tube qualities can be added elsewhere in my system. I guess it is a matter of balance and synergy.

Raja

Why worry about that my friend. Hey the tube is the only reason I'm trying the Paradiseia. I enjoy the NON OS Dac I already have. I say enjoy it and bask in the sun knowing you didn't have to break the bank to do so. 8)