• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: ESPRESSO!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 14 Nov 2006, 04:28 am »
Degrees of roast

BobM

« Reply #21 on: 14 Nov 2006, 01:42 pm »
You guys are killing me. I was a long time roaster and expresso/coffee maker-lover (the easier way to get a really good cup is to use the expresso machine for it, rather than the regular drip). I loved the South American beans, especially Guatemalan. I also made a mean Exxpresso blend (but my secrets will die with me).  :P

But about 2 years ago I started to develop an fibrillation in my heart. Sometimes skipping a beat, sometimes adding an extra beat and sometimes going into a full blown a-fib (which is not good). I tried to identify and eliminate all possible triggers (caffeine naturally, red wine, chocolate), but I still kept to one cup of java in the morning. Well the a-fibs continued, so I stopped all coffee, tea and cola drinks and damn if it didn't stop cold and not come back.

I can now eat my chocolate and drink my wines and even teas, but coffee brings it back. I'm cold turkey on coffee now. I don't miss the caffeine, but I do miss the taste. Every once in a while I bring out some decaf expresso just to enjoy, or to make myself an Irish.

Life goes on...

Bob

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #22 on: 14 Nov 2006, 02:29 pm »
If anyone is interested I have a private stock of kauai that I tend not to roast for the public often..People dont appreciate it for the price so it tends to get old....by old I mean a little longer than a week.  :roll:

Hey beat,

I will take a couple of lbs next time you roast.  Seriously. I enjoy good coffee even if I am just a simple grind and brew guy.

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #23 on: 14 Nov 2006, 02:37 pm »
Looks to me like there are quite a few stages between 13 and 14 there.  I like it at about a 13.6 for espresso and about a 13.1 for press.

-Paul

Occam

« Reply #24 on: 14 Nov 2006, 02:53 pm »
Hey Bob - That sucks..... After my second MI, I did switch to 'lite' cirgarettes. Can you drink decaf? If so, and if you're not interested in the hassle of roasting and grinding, I'd recommend Ille' decaf expresso. (when feeling fllush, we use Ille' for drip and expresso, and when not, LaVatza.

Darac

« Reply #26 on: 14 Nov 2006, 08:42 pm »
I enjoy in good coffe with my wife, sometimes plus good french cognac ! :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #27 on: 14 Nov 2006, 08:47 pm »
loki

Boy, you must really stink out the neighborhood with that thing. Coffe that's been roasted and offgassing sure does smell good, but it stinks like burning grass during the roast itself.

Bob

loki1957

« Reply #28 on: 14 Nov 2006, 08:58 pm »
Yup, it sure smells bad. The neighbors don't care when they buy my coffee.

John Casler

« Reply #29 on: 14 Nov 2006, 11:17 pm »
Degrees of roast

I have been told, that contrary to "popular" opinion, the green and less expensive coffees have the "highest" caffeine content, and higher heat roasting degrades the amount and quality of the "buzz", while enriching the flavor.

Anyone know how accurate that is?

And years ago, I used to go to a shop and get an "African' coffee that was pure rocket fuel.  It seems it was called something like Kaleb Callossi or something similar.

Anyone know what I might be talking about?

loki1957

« Reply #30 on: 15 Nov 2006, 12:20 am »
The coffee I think your trying to remember is Celebes Kalossi. It is Indonesian not African. No coffee that is 100% Aribica coffee should be rocket fuel. Most of your cheaper grocery store brands are mixed with very cheap Robusta beans. Your high caffeine comes from Robusta beans. They also use inferior Aribica beans that cost less. I usually drink about a pot of coffee and 3-2oz shots of espresso a day and I never get jittery. Darkness of roast shouldn't affect caffeine either. Darker roasts will be more bitter and actually mask some of the flavor of the bean.

John Casler

« Reply #31 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:23 am »
The coffee I think your trying to remember is Celebes Kalossi. It is Indonesian not African. No coffee that is 100% Aribica coffee should be rocket fuel. Most of your cheaper grocery store brands are mixed with very cheap Robusta beans. Your high caffeine comes from Robusta beans. They also use inferior Aribica beans that cost less. I usually drink about a pot of coffee and 3-2oz shots of espresso a day and I never get jittery. Darkness of roast shouldn't affect caffeine either. Darker roasts will be more bitter and actually mask some of the flavor of the bean.

Thanks Loki,

Sounds like you know your bean.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #32 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:38 am »
For regular coffee, degree of roast is usually between 10 and 13, depending on the bean, for optimum flavor results. Terms used for this range would be City, City+, Full City, Full City+, I think starbucks starts at 13  :(  French roast and above.  Flavors of differnt beans can be sweet, citrusy, fruity, flowery, chocolatey, etc.

The beans can crack 2 times, (sometimes almost as loud as popcorn, or very quietly), first and second crack, and usually you will judge the roast time by how long after first crack, how long before second crack, after second crack, etc. The roasting guidelines for a particular bean would be provided by a roaster who has "cupped" the coffee and tried different roasts.

beat

« Reply #33 on: 15 Nov 2006, 02:50 pm »
Hey this thread is getting good!

....Celebes Kalossi. It is Indonesian not African. No coffee that is 100% Aribica coffee should be rocket fuel. Most of your cheaper grocery store brands are mixed with very cheap Robusta beans. Your high caffeine comes from Robusta beans. They also use inferior Aribica beans that cost less. I usually drink about a pot of coffee and 3-2oz shots of espresso a day and I never get jittery. Darkness of roast shouldn't affect caffeine either. Darker roasts will be more bitter and actually mask some of the flavor of the bean.

Absolutely to everything you said..loves me that Sulawesi...BTW, I recently discovered that S#!+bucks is using a good amount of robustas in the espresso if not all blends...Not surprising...try to pass it off on the idea that true italians use it for better crema. Hey, I got no problem with my crema and I don't use robusta. Sounds like an excuse to make a buck.

Looks to me like there are quite a few stages between 13 and 14 there.  I like it at about a 13.6 for espresso and about a 13.1 for press.

-Paul

True that!

I will take a couple of lbs next time you roast.  Seriously. I enjoy good coffee even if I am just a simple grind and brew guy.

sure just send me a pm and let me know what you want (roasted or green) and I'll give you my paypal address. I have a couple other things you might be interested in. Brewers included.

fajimr

« Reply #34 on: 15 Nov 2006, 04:28 pm »
I usually drink about a pot of coffee and 3-2oz shots of espresso a day and I never get jittery.

holy sh-- batman!!!  You must have built up a tolerance!!  Do you ever go cold turkey and take a break? 

I have been doing three double espressos the last few weeks and last sunday only had one in the morning...  that night I woke up around 3:30 with a headache and felt like I had a hangover the next morning... yeah, pretty bad. I had a cup of coffee in the morning went back to bed for a while and then woke up 45 mins later feeling fine.  I do a detox diet every so often and getting off the caffeine is always the hardest part (for one week only... I can go a couple of days without food no problem but no coffee is a completely different story)....  BUT the best part is that first cup of coffee after a week break.... It's a total rush !!! :o :o :o

yes, coffee... er, GOOD coffee is my drug of choice.  I don't touch the stuff my colleagues make in the office and they think my presspots are too strong

jim

loki1957

« Reply #35 on: 15 Nov 2006, 06:17 pm »
I do use 2oz of robusta in one of my espresso blends. It is my favorite blend of the 3 I use. I roast my espresso to a lesser degree of darkness than most all the specialty coffee shops do. I like it so that the oils just begin to show on the beans. To me all coffee shop coffee is bitter. I know some people like that but to me it masks the true flavor of a given bean.

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #36 on: 15 Nov 2006, 07:05 pm »
I do use 2oz of robusta in one of my espresso blends. It is my favorite blend of the 3 I use. I roast my espresso to a lesser degree of darkness than most all the specialty coffee shops do. I like it so that the oils just begin to show on the beans. To me all coffee shop coffee is bitter. I know some people like that but to me it masks the true flavor of a given bean.

I completely agree.  A premium robusta can add quite a bit.  Your roast description sounds perfect, just like I like it.

-Paul

gooberdude

« Reply #37 on: 15 Nov 2006, 07:09 pm »
i don't know squat about coffee, but i like it made in a French Press much more than in a normal machine.   Over Easter I was home at the folks and broke out the press & my aunt exclaimed that it should only be used sparingly, something about drinking too much of the oil in the beans can be bad for people.

has anyone heard of this?

loki1957

« Reply #38 on: 15 Nov 2006, 08:58 pm »
I don't think there is a problem with drinking too much oil. If the roast isn't too dark you won't see any oil on the bean.

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #39 on: 15 Nov 2006, 09:04 pm »
Do not worry about the health effects of coffee.  It is the way that the US consumes the most amount of antioxidants.

It may not be the most rich in them, but it is how we get the most of them.

Most things in moderation are not bad for us at all.  The amount of oil in coffee is trivial compared to other beans and seeds.

-Paul