sp-2 sound issue

juan-paco

sp-2 sound issue
« on: 11 Nov 2006, 05:25 pm »
I have been experiencing a problem with my sp-2.   When I am switching channels on my digital cable remote, the sound will occasionally go mute.  When this happens, some text will appear on the LCD display saying different things like "dialnorm" and "err".   When I turn the sp-2 off and then back on again the sound comes back.   When you turn on the sp-2 the screen reads "initializing" then goes through a process of starting up.  Recently but only one time my sp-2 automatically kept repeating this process several times.  ie... as soon as it would complete the start-up process I would hear a "click" and see "initializing" on the screen again.  This occured about 5-6 times in succession and then I turned the sp-2 off.  When I turned the sp-2 back on it did not happen again and hasn't since.  Can someone geve me some insight as to what the problem is here.  Thanks,  Juan

brucek

Re: sp-2 sound issue
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2006, 07:50 pm »
I have been experiencing a problem with my sp-2.

I think there are several different issues here.

The first issue is with switching channels of any digital cable or satellite set top box. The problem is that every time you switch channels it drops the digital signal output to the SP2. This means the SP2 must begin its detection process to determine the mode of the signal it's receiving. If it's PCM, there's no problem and the sound will immediately begin. If it's Dolby Digital 2.0 or 3/2.1, it must set the volume using dialnorm. This is simply a method of reading some metadata in the bitstream and setting the dialog level in your system. It's not an error, but there will be a mute while the detection and setting is taking place.

The second issue, I do admit I have received an error now and then when switching channels, but I solved the problem by using a combination of the "digital lock" feature and the "delay" feature. I find that about one second works the best for the delay. This way, the SP2 remains in digital and doesn't revert back to analog when the channel switches, and then it waits the one second before it attempts to re-detect the new signal. seems to work pretty good.

The third issue of the repeating initialize is one I haven't experienced. It might be an anomaly. Who knows - these things are computers, and computers are flaky? It seems every revision of the SP2 firmware gets a bit better, but it ain't perfect yet...

Anyway, that's my take.

brucek

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2006, 10:41 pm »
I have been experiencing a problem with my sp-2.   When I am switching channels on my digital cable remote, the sound will occasionally go mute.  When this happens, some text will appear on the LCD display saying different things like "dialnorm" and "err".   When I turn the sp-2 off and then back on again the sound comes back.   When you turn on the sp-2 the screen reads "initializing" then goes through a process of starting up.  Recently but only one time my sp-2 automatically kept repeating this process several times.  ie... as soon as it would complete the start-up process I would hear a "click" and see "initializing" on the screen again.  This occured about 5-6 times in succession and then I turned the sp-2 off.  When I turned the sp-2 back on it did not happen again and hasn't since.  Can someone geve me some insight as to what the problem is here.  Thanks,  Juan

HI,

What we have found is that certain cable boxes (especially the latest Motorola) lose the digital clock when they switch channels. The Scientific America cable boxes do not seem to have this issue.

The delay function can reduce this effect as well as digital lock feature but sometimes the clock loss is too fast for the delay function to catch. The older versions of the Motorola boxes do not seem to have this problem.

I would recommend using the latest software which has the Delay feature and set it at 1 second.

The repeat on start up usually indicates low voltage conditions.

james
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2006, 12:58 pm by James Tanner »

juan-paco

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2006, 05:13 pm »
Hi,

Thank you brucek and James for your expert insight about my sp-2.  I have a couple more things I would like to have clarified.  Is the "digital lock" related to or the same as the "force digital on" function accessable only through the sp-2 infra-red remote codes?  I can't find any information about the "delay" or "digital lock" feature in the manual.  When James says "use the latest software which has the delay feature",  is this implying there is current software which did not come with my sp-2?

The last question is in regard to the possible low voltage situation.  Is there anything I can do to remedy such a problem?  Just yesterday I was using the system when the sp-2 re-started itself one time for no apparent reason.  I currently have my sp-2, one 4bsst, one powerpac 300sst, my universal player, a 42" plasma monitor and newer motorola digital cable box all plugged in to a surge protector.  Should I try plugging the sp2 directly into the wall?  If so, do you recommend a surge protector for just the sp-2?        Thank you for your help,  Juan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2006, 08:15 pm »
Hi,

Thank you brucek and James for your expert insight about my sp-2.  I have a couple more things I would like to have clarified.  Is the "digital lock" related to or the same as the "force digital on" function accessable only through the sp-2 infra-red remote codes?  I can't find any information about the "delay" or "digital lock" feature in the manual.  When James says "use the latest software which has the delay feature",  is this implying there is current software which did not come with my sp-2?

The last question is in regard to the possible low voltage situation.  Is there anything I can do to remedy such a problem?  Just yesterday I was using the system when the sp-2 re-started itself one time for no apparent reason.  I currently have my sp-2, one 4bsst, one powerpac 300sst, my universal player, a 42" plasma monitor and newer motorola digital cable box all plugged in to a surge protector.  Should I try plugging the sp2 directly into the wall?  If so, do you recommend a surge protector for just the sp-2?        Thank you for your help,  Juan

Hi,

Yes Digital lock is the same as Digital Force ON.

The date of the software will show on the display on startup. We have changed it a few times so check the date and let me know.

How much current will your surge protector allow?

james

juan-paco

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2006, 09:43 pm »
James,

December 8, 2005 is the date of the software.  My surge protector is rated for 15 amps.   I had something plugged in to the same circuit which I was unaware of.  I have unplugged this device and am hoping this was the main cause of the problem.   

Thanks,

Juan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2006, 10:34 pm »
James,

December 8, 2005 is the date of the software.  My surge protector is rated for 15 amps.   I had something plugged in to the same circuit which I was unaware of.  I have unplugged this device and am hoping this was the main cause of the problem.   

Thanks,

Juan

HI,

OK email me jamestanner@bryston.ca and I will send you more recent software.

james

redsierra

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2006, 02:35 am »
I would recommend using the latest software which has the Delay feature and set it at 1 second.

james

Hello James.  I spoke to Mike Pickett the other day about new firmware regarding the "popping" issues.  I asked about the "delay" setting that you mentioned above as well as quite some time ago, and he said that the adjustable setting is only in the beta version.  I have the version that is currently posted on your website.

Thanks,

Dwight

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2006, 03:46 am »

james

Hello James.  I spoke to Mike Pickett the other day about new firmware regarding the "popping" issues.  I asked about the "delay" setting that you mentioned above as well as quite some time ago, and he said that the adjustable setting is only in the beta version.  I have the version that is currently posted on your website.

Thanks,

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

Do you want me to send you the new software?
If so email me directly.

james

redsierra

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2006, 10:27 pm »
Hey James.

Is this the August 27th that Mike just sent me the latest?  If so, I understand that there are still a few bugs that have to be worked out.  Again, if so, what are the "bugs"?

Thanks,

Dwight

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2006, 03:31 am »
No bugs I am aware of.

james

redsierra

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2006, 04:18 pm »
Good day James.

That is interesting.  Mike said that there were still a few bugs in it.  If there are no bugs then why isnt it posted on your web site yet?  We are both speaking of the August 27th update, correct?

Thanks,

Dwight

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2006, 04:58 pm »
Yes the latest software is Aug 27th. The reason it is not posted is I try it at home a few weeks before posting. It will be posted this week.
I am not having any issues with mine  - are you?

james

redsierra

« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2006, 12:53 am »
I havent installed it yet James.  I will probaby get it in this weekend. 

Thanks,

Dwight

redsierra

« Reply #14 on: 23 Nov 2006, 08:53 pm »
Hello James.

I have installed the new firmware.  I have upgraded the firmware a couple of times, but with this version I saw something a little bit different upon start up (after installing the firmware).  The version showed up on the SP2s display - "SP2 OS 1.6 AUGUST 27, 2006", but then the display read "SPV NOT FOUND".  I dont ever remember seeing this before.

Thanks,

Dwight

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 23 Nov 2006, 09:39 pm »
Hello James.

I have installed the new firmware.  I have upgraded the firmware a couple of times, but with this version I saw something a little bit different upon start up (after installing the firmware).  The version showed up on the SP2s display - "SP2 OS 1.6 AUGUST 27, 2006", but then the display read "SPV NOT FOUND".  I dont ever remember seeing this before.

Thanks,

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

That is normal. The new software 'looks' for the SPV-1 Video Switcher automatically on boot-up.

james

redsierra

« Reply #16 on: 23 Nov 2006, 10:14 pm »
Ahhh....I should have known that!

Thanks,

Dwight

redsierra

« Reply #17 on: 5 Dec 2006, 08:27 pm »
Hello James.

I finally got around to installing the new firmware.  As I have heard a couple others say, the muting doesnt seem to act quick enough.  There have been a couple of the "snaps" that occure before the muting kicks in.

I really HATE the problem.  I get optimistic that it will go away and then I press search or pause or what ever...then snap!

Dwight

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 5 Dec 2006, 09:07 pm »
Hello James.

I finally got around to installing the new firmware.  As I have heard a couple others say, the muting doesnt seem to act quick enough.  There have been a couple of the "snaps" that occure before the muting kicks in.

I really HATE the problem.  I get optimistic that it will go away and then I press search or pause or what ever...then snap!

Dwight

Hi,

I am sorry but there is no way to get the mute to act quicker. The problem is that some of these digital boxes lose clock when they change bitstreams. The motorola boxes are the worst.
The SP2 comes with the default mute delay set to one second. You can try .5 seconds or 1.5 or 2 or 2.5 or 3 seconds by using the 093 remote code.

james

« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2006, 09:26 pm by James Tanner »

redsierra

« Reply #19 on: 6 Dec 2006, 03:03 am »
Oh well...if my choices are get rid of the SP2 or get rid of the DVD player....well....hmmm  :scratch:....OK the player has to go !  HDDVD here we come aa.

Thanks,

Dwight