getting hugh out of the closet

fajimr

getting hugh out of the closet
« on: 7 Nov 2006, 03:55 pm »
come on Hugh.... we all know you have a big BAD motorcycle... now we want to hear you share your stories:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=33225.0

I find there has been too much technical discussion in this circle lately, just trying to liven things up  :lol:

Joules

Re: getting hugh out of the closet
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2006, 06:03 pm »
Well ... I'm a member of the Aspen Amplifiers "Lifeforce Motorcycle club". Both street and Motocross. :thumb:

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2006, 09:01 pm »
Perhaps Hugh could relate a few stories about some of the adventurous rides he's undertaken solo or in company.  Or perhaps he could tell us why my wife always gets a big grin on her face every time she is reminded of her 'joy ride' on 'big red' a few months ago.  Come to think of it, I'd like to know.

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2006, 11:42 pm »
Aha!!  My Walter Mitty life!!  I've had about eight bikes since 18, with a long spell from 32 to 54 without them, during the breeding years.....

I have never ever hurt myself on a bike, although a month ago, when wrestling the ZRX out of the garage the damn thing fell on my right ankle and left a nasty graze.  And I nearly gave myself a hernia hauling it back up, too - my God it was heavy.

80% of solo bike accidents happen on corners, through excessive speed, unpredictable road surface or poor handling skills.  I am no hero on corners, but I do love those straight lines.

I often ride with two brothers, Russ and Paul, who own another ZRX1200 and a CB900 Hornet.  These guys are much younger, and much better riders - very quick indeed.  But as you get older, you get scared, since you realise life is a marathon, not a sprint.  So I quietly mosey on up the rear, lobbing into the cafe about thirty seconds behind them.  My pulse is at 80, theirs is around 100, and that's as it should be.  It's great to be alive, but it's possible to have TOO much adrenalin.  I see Valentino Rossi pull out of a wild skid at 220 kph and I'm lost in admiration.  Reflexes and skill like that beat the average pussy cat.

At 30 I was booked doing 117 mph on a country road.  The police threw the book at me, and I lost my license.  They only caught me because I'd slowed down to make a left turn;  I had been doing 130 mph!  One time on my BSA 650 I did 80 mph on a beach, that was fun.  My present ZRX can do 80 mph in second gear - with three to go - these machines have really advanced.  But I stick to the speed limits these days, and practise sneaky, skilled riding - like dribbling up to lights at less than walking pace, and going over the line rolling with a fistful of throttle leaving the cars behind but not accelerating beyond the speed limit - the closer the tintops, the more danger for you, as each car is a potential murderer....

I never ride in bad weather.  Heck, the bike might get dirty, not to mention the danger of slipping on corners!!

I get as much pleasure from cunning riding and the sheer engineering in these machines as I do from the speed.  To my astonishment recently I noticed that at 100 mph on the ZRX you cannot hear the engine - only the wind.  But you can't speed much near big cities - it's both risky and highly policed (revenue!) - but the joy of owning a superb piece of engineering with design features that will appear in cars five years hence is, for me, something quite fantastic.  And the thrill of controlling such stupendous power is no less thrilling for me than operating a large back-hoe - I'm a farmer's son and I love big machinery.  The idea of power with finesse is very appealing - my brother feels the same way, and he too owns a large bike, a Suzuki 1200 Bandit.  My Dad was a trained diesel mechanic and taught me a lot about engines - essentially, if it doesn't burn fossil fuel, it's no fun.....

BTW, David Ellis (also on this forum at Ellis Audio) told me he races a Aprilia 1000 cc V twin on the track!!  What is it about audio?

Perhaps all this excitement with bikes is why I'm very happy with a Grandpa's car - a 1992 Toyota Cressida!

Cheers,

Hugh

fajimr

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov 2006, 01:54 am »
130 mph on a moto!!!!  Hugh, you da man!!!   I did 140 one time in a Datsun 260z (remember those) on a california freeway (remember when you could do that?)  and that was WAY too fast for me..... I never knew why that car dealership I worked for let me and my 17 year old buddies do their dealer trades?? what were they thinking???

well, in any case- here is a link to a discussion that started the whole adrenaline thing

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=33183.0

but you know Hugh, this doesn't just have to be about motos.....  don't you have any Don Quixotesque stories to tell???  :D :D :D

Hegemony

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov 2006, 04:24 am »
ha ha don't let Hugh fool you, he has no chicken strips on his tyres...they are worn right to the edge...and the 30 secs behind is after many miles of riding...

I must admit though he is a bit of a wuss about the weather....God forbid any foreign matter of any type should get on the ZRX.  It always looks like it has just left the showroom, chain included! I think Hugh has a formula which goes something like this... Cleaning Time = Riding Time Squared....or something to that effect.

I must admit though, any lacking adrenaline is more than made up for by the amount of coffee consumed when riding with Hugh, I have sampled both the absolute best and might I add the absolute worst coffee (Last Ride) on these outings...

Personally the reason I ride fast is that in today's society it is hard to get things out of your mind for any period of time...some people meditate...I ride fast.  Riding near your limit forces everything out of your mind which is not directly and immediately connected to the task of guiding the machine down the ribbon of black .  Maybe I have a small brain and lack computing power when faced with fast riding but this is my meditation.

Oh and I listen to music on my fabulous Lifeforce55-GK1.

Cheers,
Russ

DSK

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov 2006, 04:28 am »
...Maybe I have a small brain and lack computing power when faced with fast riding but this is my meditation.

Oh and I listen to music on my fabulous Lifeforce55-GK1.

Cheers,
Russ
Dang that must be a BIG bike!!  :rotflmao:

Hegemony

« Reply #7 on: 8 Nov 2006, 06:15 am »
haha ... Fastest Aksa in the world!! :o  I am having issues with wind noise interference and power supply issues, anyone else have this problem or solutions??  :o

AKSA

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2006, 06:31 am »
Ah, yes, Russ,

That would be supply ripple.  You need new tyres, man!!

And as for the noise, you need better shielding - a larger fairing should do it!

Cheers,

Hugh

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 8 Nov 2006, 09:16 am »
Fast riders of the forum, please look into local track days / track schools. You will find out how fast you really are (or not :oops:) and riding fast on the public roads suddenly seems pointless (as it is).

Brad

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2006, 03:47 pm »
"Out of the closet" has a different meaning here in the Estados Unidos..... :lol: :o

Seano

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2006, 09:41 pm »
Has the same 'meaning' Down Under but then it don't matter much either....

I'd love to get my bike back out of the shed and onto the track/road again at some stage in the future.  Given the cost of fuel these days it may not be too far away. But it'll be a pity to make it road legal since the thing sounds so good.

But it ain't as fast as Hugh's bike.

It is a Honda CT110, a bike that can not be bought new from a Honda showroom in Australia but is probably the best selling motorbike in the country and has been for years.  Reason?  It is also known as a Postie and they all start their lives delivering mail with Australia Post.  After a couple of years of being overloaded with paper whilst being flogged at high revs by weekend motoX nutters they are auctioned off to the general public.

And I've got one. Except it has been stripped down and souped up  :lol: (so to speak) so that it could now probably do 80km/h (downhill) and have an exhaust note (as opposed to a whirr). It is also lifted using the front end and rear shocks from an ancient (and long defunct) Honda agricultural bike.  All this is done so that it can be raced.

Check it out at www.postiebikes.com

I stopped racing some years back after leaving the racing area (it became much too far to travel) but the lads are still out there chasing glory.  I think the other reason I stopped is that I started to get hurt.  In the last race (a 2 hour enduro) I was in I cracked some ribs going for glory on an uphill 90 degree bend - lost the back end going in too tight and fast and landed on my back only to have the fall 'cushioned' by a fist sized rock.

So for now..........I'm now hunting some blinkers and a very understanding registration dude. And a way to power the boombox I'm gunna fit on the luggage rack :drool:

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 8 Nov 2006, 11:37 pm »
Fast riders of the forum, please look into local track days / track schools. You will find out how fast you really are (or not ) and riding fast on the public roads suddenly seems pointless (as it is).

I fully agree.

I once had an 1988 Ninja 1000.  It was quite heavy, but amazingly smooth and frighteningly fast in a straight line.  My newer Aprlia is significantly lighter.  And, the V-Twin rumbles a bit.  This creates a feeling of being connected with the engine and a greater perception of speed.  I am NOT competitive on the track.  I just enjoy the fast recrational ride.  It'll be 2-3 years before I enter a race.  I just started this hobby last summer.  Riding a motorcycle on the street is somewhat pointless for me.  I didn't really enjoy it.  I suppose this is partially due to fear of curbs, cars, and ditches.  On the local track, missing a corner isn't as hazardous.  The overruns are nice flat grassy fields.  I am certain that I will eventually low-side my bike, but I am not terribly scared of this.

After riding on the track I find little/no purpose for street riding.  Track riding requires total focus all of the time.  I really look forward to next summer Thursday nights at the local track.  Also, my bike will be properly setup next summer.  The sag/springs were slightly soft (36mm front 34mm rear).  The local suspension ship is installing some new seals and springs in my forks.  The new fork springs will be slightly bigger.

For me, riding isn't necessarily about going fast in a straight line, but developing the skill necessary to go fast everywhere.  I am VERY inexperienced compared to most guys at the track.   The Keith Code books help, but more track time is necessary.

I'm rambling....

Dave

blizzard

« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov 2006, 01:12 am »
Hey Dave,
  Rainey's "A Twist of theWrist"  is an excellent book as well.  It was my favorite as far as tweaking racing skills.  Although it lost a touch of credibility after Rainey got seriously injured.

Steve

fajimr

« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2006, 02:29 am »
here is my ride:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

obviously borrows a lot from the motorcycle industry and the technology is incredible:  fully machined cranks ++, disc brakes, integrated shift/brake lever (pull the lever to brake, move it up or down to shift), 3" travel both front and rear, 27 speeds, tubeless tires, scandium frame.  It is an incredible machine in itself....

and the kicker is... when I am in good shape, I can put out about 1/2 hp over a couple hour race!!  twist that throttle  :lol:  (I've heard that professional cyclists are able to put out a whopping 1 hp during climbing stages- that works out to be about 700+ watts, which is a lot)

of course once I get it to the top of the mountain (under my own power thank you, I am not one for the lifts)... it's an absolute scream coming down.

fajimr

« Reply #15 on: 9 Nov 2006, 02:35 am »
oh, one more thing.... here's the real kicker....

retail price on this, last time I checked was somewhere around 4500.00 USD...   :duh:

and there isn't a single cryoed piece on the whole bike :lol:
(although it is handmade in vancouver, canada and many of the parts are machined) 

AKSA

« Reply #16 on: 9 Nov 2006, 04:06 am »
Jim,

That's 1 very impressive bicycle - in truth, I'm a fully machined crank myself...... aa aa :drool:

Cheers,

Hugh

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 9 Nov 2006, 06:25 am »
My Bike, Yamaha tenere xt600 /1983/

on,off road no1

cheers ;)

andyr

« Reply #18 on: 9 Nov 2006, 09:31 am »
Nah, fellas,

Real men use penny farthings!!   :lol:

You need legs of steel ... and you'll break your neck if you fall off!!   :D

Regards,

Andy

fajimr

« Reply #19 on: 9 Nov 2006, 04:14 pm »
That's 1 very impressive bicycle

yes, it is indeed.... the technology involved in its design and development is really something...

You did, by the way, catch my earlier reference to Don Quixote, didn't you??? :lol:  still waiting on that one...

just having some fun as work has been much too serious  :jester:
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2006, 06:36 pm by fajimr »