Red Wine!!!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Red Wine!!!
« on: 3 Nov 2006, 05:51 pm »
I am a sucker for red wine.  In the spirit of Scotch and Bourbon threads, let's share delicious red wine moments.  I am not so much interested in encounters with super expensive ones (they'd better be good) as those with a surprising performer in the affordable price range.  The reason being I want to try those too.  I will go first.

Domaine Pierre Usseglio Chateauneuf du Pape  2004.  This place has the best price http://www.vinsrare.com/index.php?main_page=product_vino_info&cPath=51&products_id=1303
I had it with a couple of slices of Thai pizza from http://www.zpizza.com/zpizza.php?page=about_different. Fresh (released this year) and fruity yet with powerful astringency, it was just very good with the pizza.  This is a great price.   

F-100

Re: Red Wine!!!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2006, 06:26 pm »
I'm not a wine lover but this is one of my favorite wine, especially with Steak. :)

http://www.franciscan.com/wine_cabernet.html

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2006, 06:31 pm »
I love wine and I love finding great cheap wines. Here is one of my favorite Malbec's you can get for under ten bucks online. I
http://www.carlorussowine.com/160290?utm_source=wine-searcher.com&utm_medium=vert&utm_campaign=std

Anyone can find a great wine for fifty bucks but its the great small vitages that make the hobbie great! Kinda like buying an amp from odyssey in place of a Krell

good stuff. I also love grenache and tempranillo/Rioja's

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2006, 07:21 pm »
As a recovered alcoholic, I stay with Vinnie Rossi's variety.

LadyDog

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2006, 09:03 pm »
Partial to:  St. Francis Sonoma "Red"

Only around $12.

Regards,
Jeff

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2006, 10:20 pm »
After a few trips to Napa aa, Rombauer reds are my favorite. $20-30 a bottle, but for me the bests reds I have tried in the valley. :thumb:
The Fiddletown Zinfandel is unlike any other Zin I have tried, old vine, our favorite right now.

westcoast

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2006, 11:07 pm »
I love wine and I love finding great cheap wines. Here is one of my favorite Malbec's you can get for under ten bucks online. I
http://www.carlorussowine.com/160290?utm_source=wine-searcher.com&utm_medium=vert&utm_campaign=std

Anyone can find a great wine for fifty bucks but its the great small vitages that make the hobbie great! Kinda like buying an amp from odyssey in place of a Krell

good stuff. I also love grenache and tempranillo/Rioja's

Here's a good one to try if you haven't already.  Borsao 2004 or 2005.  A great Spanish blend of 75% Garnacha, 25% Tempranillo, with a standard price of $6.99!  You should be able to find it locally, but Zachys.com has the 2005 vintage on sale right now for $5.73 the bottle, $68.78 the case!!  :thumb:  Robert Parker rates it at 88. Can you say "no brainer"??

Chill down a bit, uncork and let her open up awhile...you won't be disappointed.  Hey, at the Zachys case price you can knock off a few holiday gifts and keep some for yourself. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2006, 11:18 pm »
I was interested in getting into wines, but realized at some point that I didn't have budget or the alcohol tolerance to really become thoroughly knowledgeable about wines...so I picked a region that was not too complicated (Chile) and started trying a variety of wines from there.  Have found my favorite red wines from Chile are made by the following vinyards:

Lapostolle
Santa Rita
Concha Y Toro
Veramonte
Carmen

Also, have been trying to try a bottle from a Napa vinyard called Bressler Vineyards ever since I found out the owner is an audiophile... :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2006, 10:24 am »
You guys should try some Australian reds :)

Tonight I have something called Annie's Lane Cabernet Merlot, from Clare Valley in South Australia. I prefer a blend such as this to straight Merlot or especially Shiraz, and it's more "affordable" than Cab Sav. Anyway this wine was in the $A15-20 per bottle range, or say US$12-$16. I find that range good for me -- it tastes fantastic and more expensive wine needs the benefit of more aging anyway. And, I've never been all that good at keeping stuff in the wine cellar (and my house does actually have one...!).

Cheers :thumb:

maxwalrath

« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2006, 09:15 pm »
sts9fan, that is a good malbec.  It was on sale recently here in PA at the state stores for about $12....$48 dollars later I still like it.  :beer:

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2006, 11:39 pm »

Concha Y Toro

Carmen

Also, have been trying to try a bottle from a Napa vinyard called Bressler Vineyards ever since I found out the owner is an audiophile... :thumb:

Carmen is decent.  Concha y Toro, we used to sell it when we ran a grocery store in Paraguay.  Argentine reds, some unknown brands seem to be better than some Chilean ones. 

BTW, my not so expensive discovery....robust reds from the Jumilla region of Spain.  I forgot which ones I had tried, but the most I paid for them was $29.99 tops....One the better ones just cost around $16- I guess vinery does not matter but as long as it is Jumilla, it is dry, robust, hearty.  Would go really well with those famous barbacues of yours Phil. :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 5 Nov 2006, 01:38 am »

Carmen is decent.  Concha y Toro, we used to sell it when we ran a grocery store in Paraguay.  Argentine reds, some unknown brands seem to be better than some Chilean ones. 

Concha y Toro is a pretty large vineyard with a wide range of wines, ranging from $9/bottle to $50+/bottle.  Most of the ones I've tried have been in the $13-$20 range.

My favorite from Chile has been the Santa Rita Medalla Real from 2000...was only $14/bottle, but many of my wine-friends thought it was much more... :thumb:  Have not yet delved into Argentinian wines...

BTW, my not so expensive discovery....robust reds from the Jumilla region of Spain.  I forgot which ones I had tried, but the most I paid for them was $29.99 tops....One the better ones just cost around $16- I guess vinery does not matter but as long as it is Jumilla, it is dry, robust, hearty.  Would go really well with those famous barbacues of yours Phil. :thumb:

I will give it a try!

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2006, 04:42 pm »
For steak Kendall-Jackson's Reserve Cab Sauv at $14 is outstanding.  For the financially-challenged (such as myself) Barefoot's Cab Sauv at $5 is a very pleasant surprise.

robert1325

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2006, 05:46 pm »
Hi,   I LOOOOOOOOOVVEEEE  red wine, 

Try   ernest julio ( gallo)    pinot noir or california red.  Love them both.    Not sure if they are available in the USA, as  I'm from the Netherlands.         The prices are  about 15 dollars for the pinot and 5 dollars for the california red wich is not as good as the pinot but one of the best budget wines I've ever had.   

The pinot is dark earthy but with a great taste of the grape

California red : one word     Vanilla!   

Enjoy your life

Robert

F-100

« Reply #14 on: 1 Dec 2006, 06:24 pm »
Any good wine recommendation to go with roasted rack of lamb???  aa
TIA

fredgarvin

« Reply #15 on: 1 Dec 2006, 06:32 pm »
When in Cali a couple of years ago I bought a case of Tulip Hill 2001 Cab Sauv. celler select from Mount Oso vinyard. I still have a couple bottles. A marvelous, clean finish for a cab. Available online, I believe.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 1 Dec 2006, 06:55 pm »
Traditionally, you pair Pinot Noir with lamb unless you use a lot of spice.  Then you can move up to Merlot, Cab or blend.  I had a good Ile de Vegelesses from Pernand-Vergelesses that worked very well with a rack of lamb seasoned with a fair bit of Rosemary. 

fajimr

« Reply #17 on: 1 Dec 2006, 07:15 pm »
for the lamb, I would lean towards a Northern Rhone (actually for most things I would lean towards a Northern Rhone)... A nice Chateau neuf du pape or gigondas.... mmmmmmmm, must be friday :)  jim

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2006, 07:37 pm »
for the lamb, I would lean towards a Northern Rhone (actually for most things I would lean towards a Northern Rhone)... A nice Chateau neuf du pape or gigondas.... mmmmmmmm, must be friday :)  jim

I am sure you meant south of Cotes du Rhone.  8)  I would think Cote Rotie and Hermitage are a little heavy for lamb but you know what?  The right wine with any food is one that you have on hand.  I love most any red wine and enjoy any bottle with any food.  :lol: :lol:

F-100

« Reply #19 on: 1 Dec 2006, 07:59 pm »
Traditionally, you pair Pinot Noir with lamb unless you use a lot of spice.  Then you can move up to Merlot, Cab or blend.  I had a good Ile de Vegelesses from Pernand-Vergelesses that worked very well with a rack of lamb seasoned with a fair bit of Rosemary. 

Thank you Gents for some very good suggestions.
Woodsyi, I marinated my rack of lamb overnight  with some thyme, oregano, a lot of fresh rosemary with salt & pepper. Then cook it on BBQ grill with medium. :drool: