Culture Shock! - 1984 to 2006

BrianM

Re: Culture Shock! - 1984 to 2006
« Reply #40 on: 6 Oct 2006, 01:13 am »
My take on this whole issue is that if someone wants to spend money on an aftermarket power cord to bring him happiness, then who am I to argue. On the other hand if someone wants to spend that same money & buy a nice bottle of cognac, a couple of fine cigars, & some new music to listen to, then who am I to argue. And Frank, you're missing the boat on this one big time. What you need to do is to offer an IEC plug as an option on all your gear (priced accordingly). Now here's where you can make some easy money, :lol: make your own power cord to sell to those that want it & think they need it to bring out the best in your gear. Now here's what you do: Take your existing fine cord & shove it inside a 1" rubber hose, cover it with tef-flex, (make it real pretty now) terminate & use some pretty colored shrink wrap & sell a 6' run for $450. Man oh man would you clean up. I just don't know if you'd be able to sleep at night though? Oh, and by the way if this idea takes off I want 10% for putting the bug in your ear. LOL

Yeah, and if someone needs to feel super-clever by disparaging everybody's motives but his own to bring him happiness, then who am I to argue.

This kind of palaver is hilarious and everything, but actually there are lots of people who don't take it as holy gospel (yet, at least) that all aftermarket cables out there are by definition some snake oil scam job against the consumer, and -- more to the point -- who aren't gonna automatically assume you're the World's Most Sensible Person for saying so, who also listen to and read real engineers arguing their case, who notice that engineers appear to disagree about this stuff, and who're actually trying to understand as best they may the issues involved when they post on this topic.

Sorry, it just bothers me when people think they're geniuses for having figured out some "conspiracy" that isn't nearly as obvious to other (intelligent) people as they're sure it should be.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #41 on: 6 Oct 2006, 01:33 am »
My take on this whole issue is that if someone wants to spend money on an aftermarket power cord to bring him happiness, then who am I to argue. On the other hand if someone wants to spend that same money & buy a nice bottle of cognac, a couple of fine cigars, & some new music to listen to, then who am I to argue. And Frank, you're missing the boat on this one big time. What you need to do is to offer an IEC plug as an option on all your gear (priced accordingly). Now here's where you can make some easy money, :lol: make your own power cord to sell to those that want it & think they need it to bring out the best in your gear. Now here's what you do: Take your existing fine cord & shove it inside a 1" rubber hose, cover it with tef-flex, (make it real pretty now) terminate & use some pretty colored shrink wrap & sell a 6' run for $450. Man oh man would you clean up. I just don't know if you'd be able to sleep at night though? Oh, and by the way if this idea takes off I want 10% for putting the bug in your ear. LOL

Yeah, and if someone needs to feel super-clever by disparaging everybody's motives but his own to bring him happiness, then who am I to argue.

This kind of palaver is hilarious and everything, but actually there are lots of people who don't take it as holy gospel (yet, at least) that all aftermarket cables out there are by definition some snake oil scam job against the consumer, and -- more to the point -- who aren't gonna automatically assume you're the World's Most Sensible Person for saying so, who also listen to and read real engineers arguing their case, who notice that engineers appear to disagree about this stuff, and who're actually trying to understand as best they may the issues involved when they post on this topic.

Sorry, it just bothers me when people think they're geniuses for having figured out some "conspiracy" that isn't nearly as obvious to other (intelligent) people as they're sure it should be.
Brian:
Well stated.
I don't understand why we as Circle members cannot seem to be able to bring up contentious issues relating to ur hobby and have meaningful yet respectful dialogue.  It seems that just becasue we are writing on the internet allows some of us to spew whatever they want.  We wouldn't speak to each other face to face like this so why do it hiding behind the mask of internet anonymity.
The point of all this is this:
You have negineers on one side who think that cables, wires, AC poer, etc. is all voodoo when it comes to sound quality.  You have other engineers who obvoiusly are on the other side of the ledger.
I am only trying to decipher which is correct.  There is nothing personal.

totoro

« Reply #42 on: 6 Oct 2006, 02:41 am »
I'm not aware of any other engineers who are not in some way involved financially in the sale of these types of products who think they actually work. John Dunlavy (of whom you may have heard) famously decided to try cable production, made what he thought were the best possible cables, did some tests, and found that nobody could reliably differentiate them from decent cables. He still sold his fancy ones, but made no bones about his findings, and got a lot of grief for it.

Interestingly, you don't seem to see these products being used in recording studios very much, if at all.

There are also lots of people who believe in astrology, think global warming is entirely a hoax, and that the cessation of use of DDT in Sri Lanka was responsible for the upsurge in malaria (in actual fact, the mosquitos were becoming adapted to ddt, and the use of ddt skyrocketed for a while, until people realized it wasn't doing any good), but most people don't take these positions seriously.

This whole "there are two sides to every story" meme has gotten out of control. Sometimes, one side is dishonest, delusional , or simply misinformed.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 6 Oct 2006, 03:16 am »
[quote author=totoro link=topic=32080.msg285455#msg285455 date=1160102496
This whole "there are two sides to every story" meme has gotten out of control. Sometimes, one side is dishonest, delusional , or simply misinformed.
[/quote]
Totoro:
Please think about what you are saying-
Are you truly implying that some of audio greatest minds are completely off-base:
Is Marty De Wulf the publisher of Bound for Sound, who swears by differnet intercoonencts, cables, and power cords misinformed?
Are companies who make AC conditioners like PS Audio, Furman, Equi Tech, Richard Gray, etc dishonest?
And how about George Cardas, arguably the most famous name in audio wires dishonest? His cables have been used by many a recording studio all over the world.
Mike Vansevers (Vansevers Audio), an audio genius IMHO, told me that if something can't be measured, maybe they haven't  yet found how to measure it.

Soundbitten

« Reply #44 on: 6 Oct 2006, 03:26 am »
Are you truly implying that some of audio greatest minds are completely off-base

It may be the ears that are in question ... not the mind .   :green:

warnerwh

« Reply #45 on: 6 Oct 2006, 04:55 am »
"Are you truly implying that some of audio greatest minds are completely off-base:"

I'm sure he is. It should be obvious. It's easy enough to find out by having someone else swap out a power cord for you and you can see/hear how much difference there is for yourself.

My biggest peeve on the whole thing is that we alienate newcomers into this hobby. Many people spend less on their HT receiver than what audiophools pay for wire. These same people may have enough money for a 10 or 20k system yet will have nothing to do with us because of this fraud. I call it fraud because that's exactly what it is.

I've been in this hobby for over 30 years, have tried the magic wires and found no difference. This in what everyone would consider very resolving systems.  The fact that it can even be argued that nobody can hear a difference in a double blind test should tell you how much difference there is. Upgrade dacs, preamps, speakers or add room treatment. Something that is barely discernable at best is not worth wasting the time on imo.

The poor people who come here asking questions like "should I upgrade my power cord" after reading all this crap then go pay a 100 bucks or more for one only to feel robbed can send them out of the hobby for good. The magazines harping on this B.S. saying how it made an amp that was unlistenable into listenable should be sued.

The best I can tell is that wire that is intentionally poorly designed is the only wire that will make much of an audible difference. You may like this sound but from what I've gathered your amp may not. In other words why bother? Just use good quality wire that's well made and then to make your system sound better buy a better dac or room treatments or save for a Tact or Behringer unit.

There's been the question of taming bright highs with interconnects numerous times. Then many people tell the poor guy to try this IC or that. The problem is probably his room and or speakers. It could be his dac too. The last place to invest money should be wire.

My system is highly praised by everybody who's heard it. I use home made IC's that I made with 59 cent a foot mic cable and RCA's off of Ebay. The RCA's cost me about 10 bucks for a pair of IC's and they are well made. My speaker cable is home made with mil spec wire. Cost with nice bananas and spades is under 50 bucks. I guarantee we could swap it all out and spend hundreds of dollars and make less of a change than moving your head 3".

Frihed91

« Reply #46 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:58 am »
What bothers me about these threads is that are started and kept alive by people who think they know what is best for everyone else and, according to them, everyone else is not doing what is best.

I am one of the everyone else's.  I have a built a modest system based on my perferences for sound, music, my ears and my income.  In the process I have asked a lot of questions and tried to sort out the answers.  I have also auditioned a lot of gear and in some cases i have bought gear i never heard before based on this process and have always been happy with it. 

I am sure all of the everyone elses are just like me.  We don't your condescending patter to be satisfied with what we have. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #47 on: 6 Oct 2006, 12:54 pm »

Written By Sir Paul McCartney
Coopted by Woodsyi taking editorial liberty
Performed by Sir Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder

Cuprum and Argentum
Live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my tube preamp
Oh Lord, why don't we ?

We all know that people are the same
wherever you go
There's good and bad in everyone
We learn to live, we learn to give each other
What we need to survive
Together alive

Cuprum and argentum
Oh Lord, why don't we ?

Cuprum, Argentum, living in perfect harmony
Cuprum, Argentum, ooh

We all know that people are the same
wherever you go
There's good and bad in everyone
We learn to live, we learn to give each other
What we need to survive
Together alive

Cuprum and Argentum
Oh Lord, why don't we ?

Oh Lord, why don't we ?

cuprum, Argentum, living in perfect harmony...

totoro

« Reply #48 on: 6 Oct 2006, 01:06 pm »
What bothers me about these threads is that are started and kept alive by people who think they know what is best for everyone else and, according to them, everyone else is not doing what is best.

That wasn't what I was trying to say: I wasn't making normative statements about what people should buy. I was making a normative claim that manufacturers/sellers should be at least somewhat honest, and that hobbyists should be a bit more realistic and honest with themselves. If they want to buy stuff because it looks cool or gives them bragging rights, they should admit that. But pretending some of these products make music sound better is, for the most part, just that, pretending.

As has been pointed out, the whole hobby has the problem of a shrinking base of hobbyists. Part of the problem, at least in my circle, is that most people just start to laugh when they hear about the super-expensive cables, etc, and walk away. And very few scientists or engineers can tolerate listening to technobabble from some salesperson while being condescended to.

As far as the great minds go: again, this is a list of people with a financial interest in this stuff.

And there are plenty of threads where people (mostly but certainly not absolutely always)  with little or no technical understanding of engineering, physics, electronics, or acoustics rant on about what a bunch of idiots the skeptical engineering types are. Why shouldn't the engineering types return the favor?

Nobody is claiming here that we can measure absolutley everything. But without at least blind tests, in the absence of measurements, this stuff has the status of phrenology.

As I've said before, a poorly done blind test doesn't invalidate the concept. The entire pharma industry runs on them, and I, for one, would rather rely on them (for all their faults) than on some guy in his garage who can't explain why his new drug works, or show that it even does statistically. I don't see how audio is trly different from this.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #49 on: 6 Oct 2006, 01:13 pm »
This whole "there are two sides to every story" theme has gotten out of control.

I agree.  Nothing is black and white.  We must, therefore, delve into every shade of gray in between ad nauseam... 8)

avahifi

« Reply #50 on: 6 Oct 2006, 02:18 pm »
I heard from the renowned equipment modifier today.  He is very unhappy about my remarks and demands an apology herein.

He also identified a couple of resistors to change.

Unfortunately, he identified the wrong parts.  Oh well.

I will apologize if he can identify the correct parts and why they should be changed.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #51 on: 6 Oct 2006, 02:33 pm »
I should note that the amplifier being "modified" is an older Fet Valve 350 I believe.  Current Ultra 350 and 500 models have these changes made, along with higher current capacity power transformers, and  operate the small signal tubes with higher voltage regulated power supplies, among other useful engineering improvements.

Frank Van Alstine

BrianM

« Reply #52 on: 6 Oct 2006, 02:57 pm »
Sounds to me like most people fail the double blind tests when it comes to amps and CD players, too.

For the record I'm not a convert to so-called magic wire. When does it go from being good basic wire to magic wire anyway? I have no idea where the cutoff should be for how much you spend, or when that extra 100 bucks suddenly becomes ludicrous. So for the guy who spent 100 bucks on his speaker cable, another guy who spent 20 bucks is probably gonna wanna dance on his grave for spending FIVE TIMES as much as he did. Hoo hah.

There are obviously dogmatists on both sides of this argument. I don't get complaining about "shades of gray" when that strikes me as exactly the thing this "debate" is in need of. Truth is usually somewhere in the middle. But no, you still get lifelong hobbyists who want to be taken as reasonable, been-there-done-that type of guys, yet will insist everybody's always lying their asses off to them. So that's the sum of your lifetime of experience?

BTW I don't exactly care if somebody's "been in the hobby for 30 years." Your ears could still suck for all I know. I'm a pro musician who can tell when A isn't 440 Hz. Is that going to change anyone's mind as to what I hear? Probably not. Point being, people seem to like being set in their ways regardless of how long they've been at this.

So if somebody wants to go through life assuming that anybody who's selling something is by definition dishonest, I say god bless. Why not apply that adage to the entire industry, instead of singling out cable makers?

Wait, don't answer that.

One thing is certain: if you can't hear the difference, it's not worth the money. Trouble is few people have the opportunity to do a proper comparison, and most just buy something they hope will match their system. By all means everybody should try out FVA's advice and see if the cheap stuff sounds just as good. Since I originally bought "nice" cables to go with my "nice" system, because that's what the "nice" man at the "highly regarded since 1697" audio store advised me to do, and since I've been happy with how everything sounded, I'm not therefore going to conclude I'm just a hapless dupe and he's a conniving swindler. But I'll try the cheap stuff and see if I can hear a difference.

Oh and one more thing: one grows weary of the line that people buy stuff "because it looks cool." First of all, it all looks cool. Second, you don't tend to enhance people's idea of your own intelligence when you assume everybody's really that stupid and superficial about what they buy.

rustneversleeps

« Reply #53 on: 6 Oct 2006, 03:19 pm »
>>>I should note that the amplifier being "modified" is an older Fet Valve 350 I believe.  Current Ultra 350 and 500 models have these changes made, along with higher current capacity power transformers, and  operate the small signal tubes with higher voltage regulated power supplies, among other useful engineering improvements.<<<<<

Doesn't mean to change the subject, Frank, but if I sent in my older Fet Valve for the Ultra mod, would you change out the power transformer? If you wouldn't, would the Ultra modded Fet Valve be at the same level as the real Ultra? My Fet Valve is a 1996 model according to the serial #.

nathanm

« Reply #54 on: 6 Oct 2006, 03:34 pm »
I buy stuff because it looks cool!  Even Frank's allegedly "ugly" products do indeed look very cool IMO, it's just that I don't think I've ever seen a decent photograph of one. That is, until I saw boead's shots on head-fi.org via Audiogon.  http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196465&highlight=transcendence Ahh, now we're getting somewhere...  Okay so the depth of field is a little shallow and there's some blown highlights, but this is getting closer to the designer's original intent! :wink:

avahifi

« Reply #55 on: 6 Oct 2006, 03:42 pm »
Of course the photos of Boeod's are of a first generation Fet Valve SL preamp, out of production for several years now.

There are decent photos now of the current equipment posted at our web site:  www.avahifi.com

Regarding new transformers for Ultra upgrades to older Fet Valve amplifiers, not really necessary or included in the upgrade price.  We changed transformer vendors and used the changeover to design in some more future capability just in case. The transformers have never been a performance limiting issue.

Frank Van Alstine

totoro

« Reply #56 on: 6 Oct 2006, 05:06 pm »
BTW I don't exactly care if somebody's "been in the hobby for 30 years." Your ears could still suck for all I know. I'm a pro musician who can tell when A isn't 440 Hz. Is that going to change anyone's mind as to what I hear? Probably not. Point being, people seem to like being set in their ways regardless of how long they've been at this.

ad hominem much? The whole point of the blind testing is that _everybody_ is subject to expectation effects. I don't have perfect pitch, but I have good relative pitch. This "argument" here is essentially the "I have better ears than you, so shut up". Whatever. It's not actually an argument at all, and dovetails nicely with the later ad hominem.

Oh and one more thing: one grows weary of the line that people buy stuff "because it looks cool." First of all, it all looks cool. Second, you don't tend to enhance people's idea of your own intelligence when you assume everybody's really that stupid and superficial about what they buy.

First of all, it doesn't all look equally cool, and I'd be willing to bet every one of us (myself included) has used coolness of appearance as a factor in buying something before.

The second point  is an ad hominem: "I disagree with you, therefore you are stupid". Coming from someone whose idea of an argument is: "I have better ears than you and you are stupid", that's a bit rich, to put it mildly. And no, my point isn't that people are stupid. It's that people without technical backgrounds can be dazzled pretty easily with bogus technobabble.

fajimr

« Reply #57 on: 6 Oct 2006, 05:11 pm »
I will apologize if he can identify the correct parts and why they should be changed.

bravo!

avahifi

« Reply #58 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:04 pm »
For what it is worth, even being deaf to good sounding power cords, I normally can hear significant differences in double blind tests, if conducted properly. We use them here testing new circuit ideas.  Unfortunately sometimes the AB of new versus old provides unanticipated results, like when the results of a double blind tests informs us that the new idea needs to be ashcanned!  Oh well.  Better here than fost it off on you guys.

The best two tests I remember were first the magic cable tests here with an audio magazine editor.  We tested our normal radio shack cable against his wonderful new best sounding ever cable.  The editor and his friend heard huge improvements with the wonderwire, only I had simply pretended to install it, never changed cables at all.  When I dropped his wondercable in his lap while the system was still playing "wonderfully" it seemed to piss him off.  Oh well.

Second the test of resistive speaker damping at the B&W factory while I was there on a tour years ago.  They gave me a set of matched little DM6 speakers.  I damped the metal framework of one woofer basket with plasticlay and put them back together and scrambled them so nobody, not even me knew which was which.  We then played them in their sound lab side by side on mono material for the whole tour group and asked them to write down their impressions.  Any differences at all?  Better worse differences"?  The vote was very one sided for speaker B in favor of speaker A and after I took one apart again to see which was which, speaker B was one I had damped.  That got B&W's engineers interest, and later models of the speakers did have damped frameworks.  Unfortunately, they used a vinyl like material poured into the frame, likely too "rubbery" and not what was really needed.  It probably moved resonances around instead of eliminating them.  They did tell me later that the plasticlay damping took the acoustical output of the speaker metal framework down 20 dB from stock, a reasonable improvement in my book.

I would like to get Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy to try this one of these days.  Or maybe this is one reason our late lamented Biro L/1 speakers sounded so good - they were really thoroughly damped. Sadly, drivers are now out of production and nothing else we have evaluated works anywhere near as well yet.

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

« Reply #59 on: 6 Oct 2006, 06:11 pm »
Buying it because it looks cool?  Hey, I do that too.  I own a fancy Rolex.  It looks cool.  It almost tells time.  Its my one and only piece of jewelery.  I don't care of a Timex is more accurate.  I got it because I like it (and it gets the attention of sales clerks and such when they see it and provides better service I suspect). Besides, my late high end Sako actually disolved off my wrist, not nice.

Audio equipment is not jewelry.  Its first goal is to reproduce music.  My regret is that too many people confuse the jewelry aspect of the audio equipment with its musical performance potential.  I don't mind loosing sales to equipment that costs 10 - 100 times as much as ours, as long as it plays music too.  The problem is when the visual aspect of the equipment convinces people about its musical quality inappropriately.  Then I think they are getting screwed.

Frank Van Alstine