Culture Shock! - 1984 to 2006

Spirit

• Volunteer
Re: Culture Shock! - 1984 to 2006
« Reply #20 on: 4 Oct 2006, 07:59 pm »
Actually the last time we purchased AC power cord they cost $1.80 each not $5.00 (up from $1.15 due to the increasing cost of copper.  :)

The power cord is in series with and part of the hundreds of feet of tiny crummy copper wire wound on the primary side of your power transformer.  Buying an expensive after market power cord to make the last six feet better is absurd.  it is as if your house was on fire, the hydrant was 1000 feet away, and you strung out 980 feet of half inch garden hose.  Then the fire department showed up, and started to connect the last twenty feet with their 4 inch canvas hose and you had a fit, and sent them back to the the 10 inch canvas hose for the last 20 feet.  The audiophlake concept of good sounding AC power cords is as useful as Ming Shue dots and all the other wonderjunk.  All you will end up with is an additional set of unnecessary pressure contacts for the AC at your amplifier chassis.  Makes real sense.

AC Power Conditioners?  Go to your local computer store and get a good surge and RFI protected outlet box of adequate capacity.  If possible keep the power amp on an isolated AC line to eliminate the possibility of any signal feedback developed between the amplifier AC and the small signal devices.  This does not cost very much.  Voodoo audiophlake grade conditioners do. Get real.

Good engineering builds good audio components, good voodoo does not.

Good engineering costs a whole lot less too.

Frank Van Alstine
It is not often that a consumer like myself has the pleasure of communicating on a one on one basis with someone in the industry with your pedigree, Frank.  I truly apprteciate your input.
Let me play the Devil's Advocate for one moment.
If what you are stating is correct, and I have no enigineering education to doubt you at all, then what are we as audio hobbyists to conclude?  Does this mean that every single one of the companies that produces esoteric cords and conditioners are all charlatans?  After all many of them, if not all of them are engineers or hire enigineers to do their design work.  Do they have no credibility in their work? 
I have asked the same question about that "last few feet" of pwer cord to many of these companies and have been told that a good cord does in fact matter.
Let me point to the current issue of UHF (Ulta High Fidelity) Magazine.  UHF has been in existence for 25 years and I have met and conversed with its publisher, Gerard Rejskind on several occasions.  This month UHF did a Power Cord shootout of 6 cords ranging from the before mentioned $1.15 cord ($5.00 CDN!) and ending with a cord at $745.00.
I will take the time to type a few paragraphs ffom the article.  This subject really interests me so I don't mind - I hope you respond:
Quote from UHF:
"The role of an AC power cord is simple: get the electrical energy from the wall to the equipment, don't lose any of it, and don't muck it up. Piece of cake.
Hmm...that last part, not mucking it up, is harder than it sounds.  The first part also, possibly.  Most hi-fi gear, regardless of its price, comes with a generic molded cord that costs about the price of a pack of gum.  Generally it gets both items wrong and may go wrong all three ways.
Yet the question of 'audiophile' power cords is what triggers the most derision from alleged engineering graduates who believe the world begins and ends with Kirtchoff's laws. Interconnects and speaker cables, at least, do carry ther signal you are destined to hear, but a line cord?  You plug it in, the pilot light glows, what more do you want?
(Now UHF's comments after the tests were complete) - The differences from one pwer cord to another are that obvious.
Cable 1: Generic Hell
...the worst cable imaginable.
Most systems, even expensive ones, use cables much like it, because you can buy a $12,000 amplifier, and chances are this is the cable that will be in the box.  These molded cables cost hardly anything, but in this case you get what (they) pay for.  The cable we selected was the fattest in our collection....The label says it's 14 gauge, which is better than the usual thinner 16 gauge, but don't get your hopes up.  In such cables most of the power loss is not in the length of wire but in the connectors.  Plug one into a large power amp, and an hour later the plugs will be warm.  Or perhpas hot.  After three years of use, you may even see smoke, but don't get us started.
This cable was new, since we never use stuff like this.. We plugged it between the dedicated circuit in the wall and filter and fired up the CD player.
...What we heard was horrible!
On the Gibson recording, Mayorga's piano had a blurry, distorted tone, sounding more like a toy synthesizer than an actual grand piano.  The voice was indistinct as well, and suggested Gibson was singing through a loudhailer.  On the McLeod Blues recording, the guitar and percussion were overly punchy and confused as well.  The violin might as well have been a wind instrument.  We didn't need any side-by-side comparisons to know that this not how the Omega (Note-the name of UHF's refernce system) system usually sounds.  "this is shocking!" said Albert (Note-one of the reviewers). "I mean, we're talking about a piece of wire to connect you to the power company, and just listen to the damage it does!"  Reine (Note-another reviewer) added, witha wry smile, that when she had first mentioned to her family that she was participating in comparisons of the sound of cables, they laughed.
Only, we weren't laughing.  Throw away the free cable....
(Note-here is how they concluded):
...It's worth emphasizing that all of the power cables we tested were superior to the cheap off-the-shelf wire we began with, not in one or two ways, but in every single aspect.  Whether you pay a lot or a little for a replacement cable, it is going to make a big differnce....
We'll probably get hate mail telling us we're full of it, that any power cable large enough to let adequate current through is all you need. 'I have a curse I want to put on those people,' said Gerard at the end of the session, 'an eternity of listening to music through a system built on their preconceptions."
So there you have it Frank.
I think you can understand how frustrating opinions like your's and their's can become for consumers like myself.  Unfortunately, I don't have the access to be able to do my own kind of testing so I rely sometimes on what I read.
I am sure that other members of the Circle may chime in and proclaim that UHF has its own online store for accessories and yes, they do sell cords.  But I believe that their comments are not precipated by greed.  They truly seem to hear major differences.
I would love to read your comments.

avahifi

« Reply #21 on: 4 Oct 2006, 09:01 pm »
Pray tell how six feet of power cord can help your electrical system following the hundreds of miles of already so called mucked up electricity from your power generating plant to the substations and distributation feeders and stepdown transformers and nasty relays and circuit breakers and all that other evil stuff, including all that old copper romex wiring in your walls and the nasty circuit breakers in your house and on and on and on.

Your six feet of magic power cable fixes all that.  Bullshit.

Frank Van Alstine

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 4 Oct 2006, 09:13 pm »
Pray tell how six feet of power cord can help your electrical system following the hundreds of miles of already so called mucked up electricity from your power generating plant to the substations and distributation feeders and stepdown transformers and nasty relays and circuit breakers and all that other evil stuff, including all that old copper romex wiring in your walls and the nasty circuit breakers in your house and on and on and on.

Frank Van Alstine
Frank:
So what are they hearing?  Are they and others simply imagining better sound?

gitarretyp

« Reply #23 on: 4 Oct 2006, 09:19 pm »

Frank Van Alstine

There's really no magic to it at all, just simple engineering...same with the "magic" capacitors and resistors...

See here and here here for two (of the same) reasons from competent engineers. The Risch article touches on the importance of higher quality connectors, also.

nathanm

« Reply #24 on: 4 Oct 2006, 09:43 pm »
"On the Gibson recording, Mayorga's piano had a blurry, distorted tone, sounding more like a toy synthesizer than an actual grand piano.  The voice was indistinct as well, and suggested Gibson was singing through a loudhailer.  On the McLeod Blues recording, the guitar and percussion were overly punchy and confused as well.  The violin might as well have been a wind instrument."

All that from a power cord?  That's some claim!  Here lies the problem with descriptions.  What is described here, if it's not glaring hyperbole suggests very real and measurable distortion and frequency changes the likes of which I can't fathom a power cord alone could effect.  You have to really tweak the heck out of an EQ to get it to sound like a megaphone (I assume that's what a loudhailer is)  It would be easily verifiable if a cord was doing this, but I personally find it unfathomable.   This is simply creative writing.  The world must be a really exciting and\or scary place to whomever wrote that if they are serious. Taking a shower for them must be like surviving a hurricane to a normal human.

Somebody please tell me what cord I can buy that does the telephone effect on a vocal.  If wire alone can do this why do we even need all the other electrical whatchamajiggers?  Why are there effect pedals for guitars if you can overdrive your amp with just the right power cord? :roll:

gitarretyp

« Reply #25 on: 4 Oct 2006, 09:46 pm »

Somebody please tell me what cord I can buy that does the telephone effect on a vocal.  If wire alone can do this why do we even need all the other electrical whatchamajiggers?  Why are there effect pedals for guitars if you can overdrive your amp with just the right power cord? :roll:

Though i do believe cables make a difference, the differences should never be to that level (unless something is broken).

TheChairGuy

« Reply #26 on: 4 Oct 2006, 09:52 pm »
Frank,

There is no magic to them.  I just think your continued use of 18ga zip cord as your power leads is a choke point.  The romex in your wall is, what, 10,12 or 14ga?....your 18ga cable literally chokes off your supply to the finely crafted power supply within.

It's more noticeable on your power amps than anything else as they are the most 'hungry' components you make.  All 6' power cables are not the same...and yours is among the most problematic.  The overpriced power cables, at least, do less harm than yours.

Just solder on a 14ga x 2, the primary benefit is current carrying capacity/size (not mumbo jumbo, magic) and see for yourself and don't be afraid of the result that may not be scope-able :)
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2006, 01:40 am by TheChairGuy »

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 4 Oct 2006, 10:01 pm »
Frank,

There is no magic to them.  I just think your continued use of 18ga zip cord as your power leads is a choke point.  The romex in your wall is, what, 12 or 14ga?....your 18ga cable literally chokes off your supply to the finely crafted power supply within.

It's more noticable on your power amps than anything else as they are the most 'hungry' components you make.  All 6' power cables are not the same...and yours is the worst.  The overpriced power cables, at least, do less harm than yours.

Just solder on a 14ga x 2 and see for yourself and don't be afraid of the result that may not be scope-able :)
Whoa!!! Sofa Guy...that was pretty bold!!
Here is what bothers me.  Mr. Van A obviously makes a wonderful product but if as you and people like those that I quoted from UHF magazine are right, then can it not be deduced that Mr Van Alstine has never actually heard how great his products really are?

BrianM

« Reply #28 on: 4 Oct 2006, 11:06 pm »
I don't really understand electricity.

I do understand metaphors, analogies, figurative language, etc.

I tend to recognize hyperbole when I see it.

My thoughts:

1. Common sense tells me that it is unreasonable to suppose that all aftermarket cable makers are know-nothing charlatans and nothing more.

2. I'm fine with the firehose analogy in and of itself; I'm unsure if it's directly applicable to the electricity coming out of your wall. Their are, that is, some conceptual differences. My understanding of the defenders of power conditioning is that they "CLEAN" the electricity coming out of your wall; i.e. it is "DIRTY" for all the hundreds of feet of bad stuff Frank is talking about, but gets spruced up just in time to reach your stereo equipment. As a CONCEPT, I have no problem with that. Whether it's TRUE or MEASURABLE is another thing. The problem with the firehose analogy is you're talking about the AMOUNT of water, not how CLEAN it is.

3. Common sense tells me it is unreasonable to suppose that an "inferior" power cable would have so deleterious an effect on a recording as described in UHF. Some noticeable differences? Maybe so. But people do tend to exaggerate when they're excited.

warnerwh

« Reply #29 on: 5 Oct 2006, 01:01 am »
If you look at how much money the cable companies give to these magazines for advertising you will start to get the idea.

Think about this: How come people don't want to do blind tests with power cords?  How can it possibly matter what power cord you're using as long as it can supply enough current from the wall?

Try different cords on equipment you have and have someone else switch them out. You can get computer power cords to swap with your high dollar power cord. This should tell you something. One rule: you must let someone else change power cords between listening. See what difference you hear. I bet you could put a computer power cord which is about 18 guage on a 200wpc amp and not hear a difference.

The magazines have been doing damage to our hobby. Actually I've noticed some of the reviewers have noted there's not much difference in wire. The bottom line is try it yourself but not sighted. Let someone else change them. 

Some years ago I had the opportunity to try 5 different sets of IC's. These ranged from low end Monster cable to Kimber KCAG. Price varied for a system set from 90 dollars to 900 dollars.  I couldn't hear any difference.  Spend your money on room treatment or some dsp device like the Behringer DEQ 2496. You will be able to hear the difference without trying with the last two options.

Please let us know how the computer power cord swap goes. The computer cords are about as cheap of a power cord as you could imagine. I'd love to bet a grand or more on a blind test between a computer power cord and cords costing hundreds or thousands of dollars. Say what you want about double blind tests, if you can't hear it during a double blind test then is it worth spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on? Imo this obviously means I should either upgrade my speakers, source or add room treatments, wherever I thought the weakest link was.

I can't go into here but the human mind is almost in a hypnotic state, I should say a "suggestive" state. Hence the  blind tests. This is too complicated to go into here but David Wilson did a show I think last year where he used an IPOD and a Rotel amp in his room to show off his speakers. However in view were a very high end source and amp. His point had been to show how important the speaker equation of our systems is. 

This is a great point Frank made: "Engineering is HARD, bullshit comes easy."

TomW16

« Reply #30 on: 5 Oct 2006, 01:43 am »
As long as the power cord is of adequate gauge, I cannot understand how a power cord could make an audible difference. 

I work in the pharmaceutical testing industry and I know first hand that there is a placebo effect, which has to be accounted for when testing pharmaceutical products.  I believe that a similar effect occurs in audio when someone has a preconceived notion about a difference.  A blinded test as warnerwh suggested is completely valid in my opinion.

The real take home message from this thread is
there is one resistor value in the amplifier he could change that will improve the transient performance and musicality obviously, and I bet he will not discover what that engineering change should be.
  Frank, please let me know which resistor it is after the modifier has completed all the mods so as not to let the cat out of the bag. 

Engineering IS hard and that's why I studied business :lol:... and trust Frank when it comes to audio equipment.

Tom

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #31 on: 5 Oct 2006, 03:49 am »
I work in the pharmaceutical testing industry and I know first hand that there is a placebo effect, which has to be accounted for when testing pharmaceutical products.  I believe that a similar effect occurs in audio when someone has a preconceived notion about a difference.  A blinded test as warnerwh suggested is completely valid in my opinion.

I agree 100% :thumb: I think we all hear a certain placebo effect with a lot of things we change. The only proper way to do a blind study is to have 2 identical systems and change between the 2 of them instantaneously. I believe it would be very hard to shut a system down, change power cord and turn it back on and not think we hear a difference. I think a certain amount of people would hear a difference even if there wasn't a difference. Just not listening to something for those few seconds could taint the listening process. :nono:

Is this what this thread started out about, AVA and power cords again? There was just a thread like this a few months ago. :roll:

Brett Buck

« Reply #32 on: 5 Oct 2006, 04:31 am »
OK Brett so let me ask you a question.
If a person had to start from scratch in assembling a truly "HiFi"
system what would you recommend as purchase options?
I don't mean which brand names, I mean what variables
should be looked at when shopping for equipment.

That's an interesting question. I assume you really mean how do you separate "I like it" from "it's accurate".  I would like to think about it before answering, but a few things immediately occur:

Don't buy anything that is claimed to violate the basic laws of physics and electrical engineering (i.e magic wire, etc.). You don't have to be an engineering prodigy to do this - for example, you can research the relevance of the "skin effect"  to audio circuits in about 45 seconds. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that wires do not need burn-in, just junior high physics.

Don't buy, or at least be suspicious of, anything that that claims to be a "breakthrough" or "newly discovered circuit topology", because the basic concepts of audio circuits have been known for decades. The important changes are down in the nitty-gritty (and frequently boring) details of parts selections, values, etc. Of course that makes for very poor advertising copy.

If someone is "talking down" to you, or claims that you can't understand the esoteric principles involved, or they have "super ears" and can therefore tell you what is better and what is not just by listening,  they are probably blowing smoke into one of your bodily orfices. Another sign of this is the excessive "name dropping" of brand names, audio mag reviewers name (or worse, initials), etc.

SET amps are not "better" because they are "simple and thus have less parts standing between you and the music". They are grotesquely less accurate than almost any reasonable design, and have massive distortion at even miniscule output power. The massive distortion happens to be, in some sense, asthetically pleasing, due to it's nature, but that doesn't mean it's more accurate. If you happen to like it, don't apologize, just don't fool yourself about what's going on.

If someone says, when listening to some piece of equipment, something along the lines of 'the composer's hidden inner message was easily conveyed' run away from them, quickly. (I actually saw a speaker review with that quote, bonus points awarded for knowing the the speaker under review)

If something requires lots of special frequent adjustments or maintainence, there's a reason, and it's not because it's well-designed with parts running within their margins

When listening, it's possible to come up with useful subjective observations:

Resonances and variations in frequency response are very easy to hear, and are highly relevant. If you have a descending series of notes, it shouldn't sound like "boom-boom-boom-BOOM-boom-boom". If this is inherent to the equipment, the same notes will resonate on any source material.

Use common sense to separate out source material limitations from equipment limitations. You can listen to the same CD on several different systems, and the features that repeat from system to system are in the source. If the features are different on different systems, it's the system.

Most people already know this, but lots of times better systems result in worse sound. If your AC/DC record sounds like it was recorded in  4 different plastic boxes, that's a good sign, because it was. If your AC/DC record has "good imaging" it's probably something the system is doing to create signals that weren't there in the first place. And, it won't repeat on other similar source material.

On the other hand, if the imaging is good, with source material that was recorded in a live setting, and its good with all such source material, it's probably a GOOD sign because you can't really reliably synthesize that.

If you just like buying equipment, just admit you just like buying equipment. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. I have designed/built/bought a lot of not-very-good equipment just because I wanted to fiddle with it. I have boxes full of Williamson-style tube amps, and even a few SETs. I enjoyed putting them together, and was pleased with the results. Of course, they didn't really play music worth a crap, compared to my $450 30-WPC Jensen's amp, but I knew that was going to happen before I started, and didn't claim otherwise later.  When I wanted to get a better musical reproduction system I called Frank and had him do it. He (and others, too) are professionals with decades of experience.  If I spent the kind of time necessary, I might be able to do as well or better, but I am not going to do that. I'm sure if Frank wanted a correctly-designed satellite control system he would call someone like me, who does it for a living and had the necessary experience to make sure it worked.

Same with massive aluminum hogged-out faceplates, crystal and titanium external tube "cooling towers", blue LEDs, neon tubes, etc. If you just want to buy something because it looks good, don't fool yourself about it, just admit it. You are an adult, you don't have to phony up technical reasons that it's "better", just say, "I got it because it looks cool". If you are embarrassed saying you spent $10000 on a preamp because it looked cool, then, maybe you shouldn't do it.

It's really just my personal subjective reaction, but the thing that disturbs me the most about a lot of what I have seen in the past 6 months or so of casual research/refamiliarization with this hobby/industry is the incredible level of simply bizarre claims that I can only interpret as self-delusion about what we are doing.  A lot of it seems to be directed towards one-upsmanship and impressing one's "audiophile" buddies with your latest new gadget, but it seems most people can't bring themselves to admit it. It doesn't make me mad, it doesn't make my life miserable, and I am not even being critical, but I found it odd. If it makes anyone feel any better, I see similar a similar situation in several of my other technical hobbies.

I've blathered enough, and no one really cares what I think about it anyway. Just take it as semi-objective observation from someone who hasn't kept up with the Joneses for the last quarter-century, more or less.

Brett

Brett Buck

« Reply #33 on: 5 Oct 2006, 04:50 am »

Frank Van Alstine

It's my observation that a lot of bizarre audio "theory"  has most of the essential features of a religious cult.

Brett

BrianM

« Reply #34 on: 5 Oct 2006, 01:22 pm »
If your AC/DC record sounds like it was recorded in  4 different plastic boxes, that's a good sign, because it was. If your AC/DC record has "good imaging" it's probably something the system is doing to create signals that weren't there in the first place. And, it won't repeat on other similar source material.

DAMMIT!

Just when I thought I could finally tell which guitar was Angus and which was Malcolm.

BrianM

« Reply #35 on: 5 Oct 2006, 01:33 pm »
As long as the power cord is of adequate gauge, I cannot understand how a power cord could make an audible difference.

Again, there seem to be two separate issues which people are talking about: the amount of current (arguments about the proper gauge of wire) and the quality (purity? what?) of the electricity coming out of the wall (this so-called AC noise that is supposedly being delivered to your components). I've yet to see anyone address the accuracy of the latter claim, i.e. whether "power conditioning" is a plausible engineering feat. If there are hundreds of miles of "bad electricity" leading up to the wall outlet, which Frank emphasizes there are, either you design equipment that doesn't care about that, or you design a power box that ameliorates that problem, or both. If the power conditioning boxes are in fact bullshit engineering, fine. If they don't make nearly as much difference as designing quality components, fine. I'm just interested in hearing whether the concept is totally fallacious or based in truth, namely, whether AC noise is in fact audible and can in fact be eliminated (or reduced).

weirdo

« Reply #36 on: 5 Oct 2006, 03:21 pm »
The problem isn't do plugs and cables matter, because they actually do and quite a bit. The problem is, is the $5,000 one better. In most cases it is not.

Quite true. thank Goodness for the internet. It is the source of shill but it can also be the source of the solution via supply and demand.  Example: 5,000 big name speaker calbles vs. sonically superb "Anti-Cables" from a mom and pop in Minnesota for a hundred bucks which aint bad.

Lets not be history revisionists. We spent that much on Monster cable in the 80's when it first came out.

avahifi

« Reply #37 on: 5 Oct 2006, 03:38 pm »
Actually our power cords are 16 gauge and can support continious full power of our bigger amplifiers without any problems at all.  The power cord is a much heavier gauge than the primary winding of anyone's power transformer so it is absolutely impossible for it to be a "choke point."  That idea is simply another unfounded audiophlake concept with no basis in fact or engineering.

I did not say that all AC power is dirty, but even if it is, your power transformer is the first line of defense, being a large inductor in and of itself.  We do recommend a computer grade AC line power conditioner to protect against RFI and line transients, but these are inexpensive.

Frank Van Alstine

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #38 on: 5 Oct 2006, 03:47 pm »
I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to a discussion about electricity between Frank and Richard Gray, both who I have a whole lot of respect for with what they do and their knowledge in their field. Talking with Richard a few times a few years ago reminds me of talking to Frank and they both build simple looking black boxes that make me very happy! :D

You might find this interesting.

http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com/faq/index.html

« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2006, 07:42 pm by budyog »

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #39 on: 5 Oct 2006, 07:21 pm »
My take on this whole issue is that if someone wants to spend money on an aftermarket power cord to bring him happiness, then who am I to argue. On the other hand if someone wants to spend that same money & buy a nice bottle of cognac, a couple of fine cigars, & some new music to listen to, then who am I to argue. And Frank, you're missing the boat on this one big time. What you need to do is to offer an IEC plug as an option on all your gear (priced accordingly). Now here's where you can make some easy money, :lol: make your own power cord to sell to those that want it & think they need it to bring out the best in your gear. Now here's what you do: Take your existing fine cord & shove it inside a 1" rubber hose, cover it with tef-flex, (make it real pretty now) terminate & use some pretty colored shrink wrap & sell a 6' run for $450. Man oh man would you clean up. I just don't know if you'd be able to sleep at night though? Oh, and by the way if this idea takes off I want 10% for putting the bug in your ear. LOL