Any fans of Blackmore's Night?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 19 Jun 2003, 02:34 am »
I've always been a fan of Richie's, be it Purple or Rainbow, but I think I like his "new" band, "Blackmore's Night" even better.  To those not familiar with them, it's Blackmore and his very beautiful wife, Candice Night.  The music is mostly medieval/renassaince and rock inspired by medieval music.  Nights vocals are very beautiful, the music is great and the guitar playing in incredible.

I first heard of em a few years back, and I've got the all their albums so far.  I've preordered "Ghost of a Rose" from Amazon.com; should be out later this month.

For anyone who hasn't heard them I highly recommend a listen.

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2003, 02:55 am »
Ok, Rob, cut it out.

You're spending my music budget faster than I can earn it.
:)    Thanks for another good rec.  I really like Dio/Rainbow and I'll have to check this out.

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2003, 09:32 am »
Blackmore's Night for me has become my favorite band. This guy can play guitar whether it be rock or whatever. And his song writing ability is second to none. His wife Candace, provides the finishing polish to his great talent, with her beautiful voice.  :smoke:
  I too like other fans of Blackmore would rather he stick to hard rock, because I love his rock guitar solos. But I can accept the fact that those days are behind him and he's moved on. And having a drop dead beautiful woman singing for him now, can you blame him :?:
  I have all four albums and can't wait to hear his new release. He has yet to make a bad album with this new venture and I'm willing to bet it'll just keep getting better.  :flame:
  My hope is that millions more people will come to realize that Blackmore is the greatest guitarist walking the earth :!:
Mag

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2003, 03:01 am »
I've had my copy of Ghost of a Rose on order from Amazon.com for an eternity, sure hope it shows up soon! :x   They are among my very favorite bands.  The only minor quibble I have is that as they evolve, the roles have become Ritchie writing the music and Candice doing all the lyrics; there has been an unfortunate increase in the amount of tunes that could only be called "chick songs".  While I love'd "Fires at Midnight", songs like "The Old Hanging Tree" and a half dozen sappy ballads coulda been just as easily omitted.  Still, a super album for the other half!

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2003, 10:43 am »
'Play Minstrel Play' on Past Time with Good Company is a tune that I've come to like. Other favorites are 'Writing On the Wall' ,'Storm','I Remember it Well','Under a Violet Moon', 'Village On the Sand' and Fires at Midnight'.
   Your right, hope they don't get too sappy, a number of good gut wrenching electric guitar solos for old times sake would be more satisfying.And Candace can write and belt out the screaming banshee cries that Ian Gillan did so well in the early Deep Purple days. : :wink:
Mag

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2003, 07:01 pm »
"Home Again" and "Fires At Midnight" are probably my favorites on that album.  While I like all the stuff, I'd say that as a whole "Under A Violet Moon" is their best, most consistant album.

I just got an email from Amazon saying the new album wouldn't be shipped til end of Aug-mid Sept! :evil:   What the hell is the hold up?  I think the album has been out for awhile.  I may have to just cancel my order and try to find them elsewhere.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2003, 03:57 am »
Release date now in AUG. for North America  http://blackmoresnight.com/index2.htm .I've enjoyed their live cd - has that edge on a lot of songs !

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2003, 08:02 pm »
Ooops...I shoulda checked their website before I went off on Amazon.com! :oops:   I've got it in my favorites! 8)

Actually, I just ordered the live album yesterday.  I have all the studio ones, but I've been to cheap to buy the live one.  But Buy.com has a very good price on it, and they also have a super price on Iron Maiden's remastered "Number of the Beast", so I figured what the hell.

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2003, 08:57 pm »
It's good to give em sh*t even if they don't deserve it, keeps them on their toes for the next smo that places an order.  :uzi:
  Speaking of Iron Maiden wasn't their last DVD 'Rock in Rio' a major disappointment. The camera editing was sooo bad you'd get dissy watching after only a few minutes, (and that's sober)and it continues throughout the entire show making it unwatchable. And the recording wasn't all that great either.The only thing I liked about it was the song'The Evil that Men Do' which I never heard before and thought it was pretty good 'Sign of the Cross' was pretty good too. My favorite IM song is 'Hallowed be thy Name'. I  have the albums Number of the Beast and Powerslave.
Mag

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2003, 09:23 pm »
Never seen the Rock in Rio DVD.  "The Evil That Men Do" is from "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son"; that album is a killer.  One of the better ones.  I'd be hard put to pick a favorite, but I suppose if you put a gun to my head I'd likely pick "Powerslave" or possibly "Somewhere In Time," although 7th Son is close.

The new remasters are a big improvement, especially the r.m. "Piece of Mind."  We'll see about "Number of the Beast" when it shows up (Buy.com has already charged my c/c, so it shouldn't be long).

BTW, the remastered CD set "Live After Death" is absolutely essential for the true Maiden fan.  The original CD omitted half a dozen songs that appeared on the LP set to cram it onto one disc.  Some of my favorites (like '22 Acacia Avenue' and 'Number of the Beast' got left off- how can you leave off 'Number of the Beast"! :nono: ).  Well the version is 2 CDs, so all the songs have been restored.  And the sound is excellent; I'm usually not a fan of live albums, but this one is a must have.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: 1 Aug 2003, 03:26 pm »
Info on tour dates : Blackmore's Night has been confirmed for September 17 in Philadelphia, PA and September 19 in Westbury (Long Island), NY. We appreciate the support from all our fans, and media here in the USA. We hope to see you all in Renaissance Garb for our two special performances for the new Ghost of A Rose Tour 2003. Tickets on sale now -    I've got mine.   :D     http://blackmoresnight.com/index2.htm

Mag

« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2003, 07:26 pm »
I envy you. I hope they come to Western Canada but not likely.If they do, I'm there!
  You'll have to write a review after the concert. :)
Mag

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2003, 03:02 am »
Well, my order came from Buy.com; the Iron Maiden CD showed up but they b/o'd my copy of "Past Time With Good Company"; that's the frickin' reason I placed the damned order to start with! :x

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 2 Aug 2003, 03:03 am »
BTW, I ordered "Ghost of a Rose" from CDJapan; I should have it about 1 to 1.5 months before Amazon gets the US release in.

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 2 Aug 2003, 09:28 am »
A tad impatient are we, :nono: I can't help but think that ordering from Japan your cd is going to get lost  somewhere enroute.
 I gonna wait for the release date. By then I should have my card paid up.
Mag

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2003, 03:27 am »
Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A tad impatient are we,  I can't help but think that ordering from Japan your cd is going to get lost somewhere enroute.
I gonna wait for the release date. By then I should have my card paid up.
Mag

:lol:  I'll admit, I was a little worried, but Bubba assured me they're a good company.  Sure enough, the discs showed up today! :o   Now THAT'S some fast shipping! 8)

I just got off of work and the note was in my mailbox that it came by Express Mail; I missed it but luckily you can pick it up at the central office 24/7.  So I did!  Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, figured I'd do a few things, check my email & the AC forums, then sit down with a cold one and relax with my new CD! 8)

BTW, thanks to Bubba for the excellent tip.

bubba966

« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2003, 05:22 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
BTW, thanks to Bubba for the excellent tip

Quite welcome Rob. Hope you enjoy your disc.

As I've told Rob, I've had the best experience dealing with CDJapan when ordering anything. No one else has been as painless & prompt.

And I've never, ever had a problem with receiving anything I've ordered from Japan. It always gets here quicker, and in better shape than from anywhere else in the world.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2003, 06:22 pm »
Well, I've had the chance to play it thru a couple of times, and I'm pretty happy with it.  Sonically it may be the best of their albums; certainly the bass is fantastic.  And it seems that Candice Night just keeps growing as a vocalist on each album, and her singing on Ghost of a Rose is just spectacular, especially so on their cover of "Diamonds and Rust".

Also notably, there's really only one goofy throwaway "Candice-Night-chick-songs" on this one (the profoundly silly "3 Black Crows").  The rest is very good.  I don't think this will dethrone Under a Violet Moon as their finest album, but it stands up very well in comparison to the rest.  It's a very consistant album from start to finish, with very few clinkers.  In that respect it's probably a better album than Fires at Midnight.  However, the new one doesn't have an answer to "Fires at Midnight", "Home Again", or "Written in the Stars"; that is to say no single song that really stands out head and shoulders above the bulk of their stuff.

After a second listen, I'd say my favorites so are are (in no particular order) "Cartouche", "Diamonds and Rust", "Way to Mandalay" and "Loreley".

I'd give it maybe 7.5-8 out of ten.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 4 Aug 2003, 09:38 pm »
My copy of the live album, "Past Time With Good Company" finally showed today; better late than never!  A very good disc, excellent performances and very good sound (for a live album) with a very tight and extended bottom end (the music, not Candice :lol: ).

Definately a keeper.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2003, 07:22 am »
Rob ,As I said, the Live cd has a great sound - good rock edge to it ! Enjoy !  :?:  Question, about CDJAPAN, what do they charge for shipping ?