little help with preamp choice please....

2bigears

little help with preamp choice please....
« on: 12 Sep 2006, 02:20 pm »
hi,have a wee little vac 30/30 amp with opus 21 going straight into amp.would like to phono soon.2k buget or a weee bit more as you get what you pay for. thks for any good advice :D

toobluvr

Re: little help with preamp choice please....
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2006, 02:52 pm »
hi,have a wee little vac 30/30 amp with opus 21 going straight into amp.would like to phono soon.2k buget or a weee bit more as you get what you pay for. thks for any good advice :D

Is your $2k budget for line stage only, or for line + phono section?

If for the latter, it will be tough to pull off.

Also, will you be using MM or MC cartridge?

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2006, 03:11 pm »
i was thinkin' total budget 2 large.if it can't be done,so be it.time to dig,as would like to buy a keeper.as far as style of cartridge,which ever is middle of the road is fine.thks  Pat   :D

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2006, 03:45 pm »
For 2k price range, I would look into this.  http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1163100930  I don't have this unit but I have Vinyl One phono stage and it is really good.  Joe Fratus always seems to be ready to talk to you if you have any questions. 

toobluvr

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2006, 04:02 pm »
i was thinkin' total budget 2 large.if it can't be done,so be it.time to dig,as would like to buy a keeper.as far as style of cartridge,which ever is middle of the road is fine.thks  Pat   :D

clear as mud!
I may be thick, but I still don't fully get it!
 :scratch:

Your budget is 2k.
Is it 2k for line stage only?
Or 2k for full function preamp (line stage + phono section)?

Also....
A "middle of the road" cartridge tells us absolutely nothing!
Before a phono section can be selected, the cartridge
output and loading must be known!

Hey 2bigears!
You are reverting to your confusing and convoluted ways!
I'm not a dentist...stop making me pull teeth!
 :lol:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2006, 04:10 pm »
I deciphered it as 2k line and phono.  Middle of the road cart can be MM to save money on stepup for MC. 

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2006, 04:16 pm »
that's it woodsyi.i was going to try 2k total,but if it takes more for a guality piece,lets go!! do it right the first time.. :D

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2006, 04:34 pm »
To be honest with  you, better the preamp you get the more you will need in your TT set up to match the performance level.  If you don't already have your turntable, arm and cart, you may want to consider all of that into your purchase equation.  If you do, please let us know what you got.

toobluvr

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2006, 04:50 pm »
that's it woodsyi.i was going to try 2k total,but if it takes more for a guality piece,lets go!! do it right the first time.. :D

OK...thanks!

2k for line + phono is tough.....really tough to do it new, and really really tough to get MC included!   Doable if you scour AG and wanna take the chance on an older piece.

The JuicyMusic Blueberry Xtreme is an option:

http://www.juicymusicaudio.com/web_pages/xtreme2.html

The Cream MC option gives you room to grow, and makes it just a bit over your budget.
One of the very few full funtion preamps priced at this very reasonable level.
Matter of fact, at $1.8k for line + MM (with MC it's $2.3k), it is the only one I am aware of.
At least for the level of performance it offers.
I own it...it is very good.  If you are willing to wait, Mark sometimes offers specials on fully refurbished and warranteed trade-ins.

I've seen that Art Audio piece pointed out by woodsyi pop up ocassionally on AG, and I've always been intrigured by it.  Joe Fratus and Art Audio are highly regarded, but a lack of specific info/feedback on that particular piece has made me apply the brakes.  Also, I've seen in linger unsold for months, so this too makes me wonder.

If you do it as separates, don't forget to budget for an i/c to connect them.

And as woodsyi says, ya gotta consider the whole picture to create a complementary and synergistic setup.  This includes table, arm, cartridge, phono cable, phono section, etc.  Current level of gear effects the buying decisions on new pieces.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2006, 05:18 pm »
those two look good,the blueberry-x,and the ava ultra ec.is there a clear winner between???? thks :D

toobluvr

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2006, 05:48 pm »
those two look good,the blueberry-x,and the ava ultra ec.is there a clear winner between???? thks :D

I heard the AVA briefly at a friend's.
It sounded good to me, but I never had it in my own system.  Nor did I hear its phono section, only line.

My instinct is that the AVA might be a bit more dynamic and transparent, while the BB will give a bit more of a vintage tube sound (not to say it is excessively toobey) that is wetter, rounder and a bit more lush.  I also suspect the BB will give a better emotional connection to the music.

But like I say, these are just impresions I have from living with the BB, and only briefly hearing the AVA.

Pick your posion.
Personal preference....dunno that there is a "clear winner".

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 12 Sep 2006, 08:06 pm »
If you don't already have your turntable, arm and cart, you may want to consider all of that into your purchase equation.  If you do, please let us know what you got.
Pat...As woodsyi asked....do you have a TT, arm, and cart now ???
                                       Chris

2bigears

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2006, 09:21 pm »
no,not yet.am in the market for one of those too.i will most definitely go used there.  Chris,you don't want to sell your BB-X ,do ya?? thks :D
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2006, 09:58 pm by 2bigears »

toobluvr

« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2006, 01:08 am »
no,not yet.am in the market for one of those too.i will most definitely go used there.  Chris,you don't want to sell your BB-X ,do ya?? thks :D

I think he has the regular BB.
I'm the guy with the BB Xtreme.
 8)

Parnelli777

« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2006, 01:18 am »
It's pretty tough to beat George Wright's stuff, especially for the money. Check out the WLA12A preamp and the WPP200C phono preamp. Under $2000 for both. When his equipment comes up for sale used, it never lasts long- the phono preamp in particular is a true giant killer.

http://www.wright-sound.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=10

http://www.wright-sound.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=11

toobluvr

« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2006, 01:23 am »
It's pretty tough to beat George Wright's stuff, especially for the money. ......

Never heard them personally, but I hear good things about the Wright gear.

2bigears

« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2006, 02:32 am »
Parnelli777 thks,that gear does look well done,may have to give them a call. :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2006, 03:53 am »

I think he has the regular BB.
I'm the guy with the BB Xtreme.
 8)
toobluvr is right Pat....I have the regular Blueberry. Its a good preamp....I've no interest in selling it (I rarely sell anything....I like variety).
                                         Chris

2bigears

« Reply #19 on: 16 Sep 2006, 08:47 pm »
OK,after alot of tire kickin' and lookin' through windows,i took a big Juicy bite on a BB-X with a little cream on the side.now i really need a TT.will look on the used market .don't even know where to start there???? will see if vinyl is final.....thks guys for the help  Pat :D  PS:Mark at Juicy is a good guy.... :D