For Those Interested in Building the Hypex Amplifier Kit

Kevin Haskins

Here is the first revision of the documentation.   There is still much polishing and work to get done.   I'd like to get some more pictures of the UCD400 builds.   If anyone wants a multichannel UCD400 built let me know.   I'll offer a significant reduction on the labor as incentive and your amp will be immortalized in the UCD documentation.  :-)

Exodus Amplifer Docs Version 1.00

kfr01

Re: For Those Interested in Building the Hypex Amplifier Kit
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2006, 04:20 pm »
Wow, Kevin, this documentation is impressive!  Great pictures, and clear, easy to read instructions.

davekt

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2006, 07:19 pm »
Hi Kevin,

The illustration labeled "connection between XLR and RCA input" shows a jumper wire connected between the RCA outer ground tab and pin 3 of the XLR, but the picture on the next page shows the jumper wire between the RCA ground tab and Pin 1 of the XLR connector.  I zoomed in the pic to be able to see the pin numbers.  The wire is supposed to tie the ground of the RCA to the (-) of the XLR, right?  So the illustration is correct but the picture is not?  I'm a newbie at this so I'm looking at the docs very carefully :) 

The .pdf I looked at is the one linked from the website's product page, I'm assuming it is the same as the above link.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2006, 08:19 pm »
Hi Kevin,

The illustration labeled "connection between XLR and RCA input" shows a jumper wire connected between the RCA outer ground tab and pin 3 of the XLR, but the picture on the next page shows the jumper wire between the RCA ground tab and Pin 1 of the XLR connector.  I zoomed in the pic to be able to see the pin numbers.  The wire is supposed to tie the ground of the RCA to the (-) of the XLR, right?  So the illustration is correct but the picture is not?  I'm a newbie at this so I'm looking at the docs very carefully :) 

The .pdf I looked at is the one linked from the website's product page, I'm assuming it is the same as the above link.
Man you have sharp eyes.   You won't have any problem putting them together.  ;-)

You are correct... the picture and the diagram are different.  It doesn't really matter if you attach the ground of the RCA to either Pin #1 or Pin #3 as long as you are using the correct Pin#1 to Pin #3 jumper when using it singled ended.   When you are using it in balanced mode it also doesn't matter which you have connected although you could probably make an arguement it would be safer to have it tied to chassis ground hense Pin #1 on the XLR.   

I'll make the change to the diagram to prevent further hawk-eyed builders from getting confused and thanks for the feedback!

Brandon B

« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2006, 08:52 pm »
If anyone wants a multichannel UCD400 built let me know.   I'll offer a significant reduction on the labor as incentive and your amp will be immortalized in the UCD documentation.  :-)

Does 3 channels qualify?  If so, let me know if you don't get any other takers in the time frame you need, and I'll see if I can't swing one sooner rather than later.

BB

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2006, 09:30 pm »
BB,

Right now any UCD400 build would be fine.   I need to take some pictures of mounting the heatsinks & some general UCD400 specific information.

jtavan

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2006, 05:33 pm »
If anyone wants a multichannel UCD400 built let me know.   I'll offer a significant reduction on the labor as incentive and your amp will be immortalized in the UCD documentation.  :-)

I placed an order yesterday for a UcD400AD-4, and would not object to having someone else build it, if it were not hugely expensive. Time is worth something, after all. I did specify that I didn't want the opamp hooked to the regulated power supply, as I'd planned to do that myself, so that would have to be factored in. If you're still looking for a UcD400 multichannel to build up for photos, please let me know.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2006, 04:32 am »

I placed an order yesterday for a UcD400AD-4, and would not object to having someone else build it, if it were not hugely expensive. Time is worth something, after all. I did specify that I didn't want the opamp hooked to the regulated power supply, as I'd planned to do that myself, so that would have to be factored in. If you're still looking for a UcD400 multichannel to build up for photos, please let me know.

Give me a call on Monday and we can chat about it. 

Herbert

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2006, 07:16 am »
Man you have sharp eyes.   You won't have any problem putting them together.  ;-)

You are correct... the picture and the diagram are different.  It doesn't really matter if you attach the ground of the RCA to either Pin #1 or Pin #3 as long as you are using the correct Pin#1 to Pin #3 jumper when using it singled ended.   When you are using it in balanced mode it also doesn't matter which you have connected although you could probably make an arguement it would be safer to have it tied to chassis ground hense Pin #1 on the XLR.   

I'll make the change to the diagram to prevent further hawk-eyed builders from getting confused and thanks for the feedback!

Hi Kevin,

I was reading your excellent documentation, and I got confused around the same topic, presumably after you updated the diagram in response to this thread. Now, the diagram does show the RCA ground tab connected to pin 1 of the XLR, but the text that precedes the diagram still says "The RCA “GND” should be soldered to Pin #3." I presume that you definitely mean "pin #1"...

While I am nitpicking :oops:, may I suggest that you add page numbers in a page header or footer? That would be convenient when printing the instructions (or talking about them with you).

Finally, being an absolute ignoramus, but foolishly eager to try, I was wondering if you could illustrate (photo) the bleeding of the power supply, which seems like a bad thing to get wrong. In particular, page 21, you wrote: "Clip both the leads across the positive to ground and then the negative to ground connections on the power supply." Presumably, draining is done only from the DC output of the power supply (and there's no sense connecting the bleeder to the AC input connectors), right? And presumably, what you're describing is: (1a) connecting a clip to the positive connector of DC output 1 and the other clip to the ground connector of output 1, (1b) waiting some time (how long?), then (1c-d) doing the same with the negative connector of DC output 1, then (2-5) repeating with the remaining 4 sets of connectors? Replacing the bleeder's clips with those of a DC voltmeter (before and after) would then show a drop to 0... Did I understand correctly or should I just focus on software?

Many thanks,
Herb

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2006, 08:13 pm »

You are correct... the picture and the diagram are different.  It doesn't really matter if you attach the ground of the RCA to either Pin #1 or Pin #3 as long as you are using the correct Pin#1 to Pin #3 jumper when using it singled ended.   When you are using it in balanced mode it also doesn't matter which you have connected although you could probably make an argument it would be safer to have it tied to chassis ground hence Pin #1 on the XLR.   

Hi Kevin,

I was reading your excellent documentation, and I got confused around the same topic, presumably after you updated the diagram in response to this thread. Now, the diagram does show the RCA ground tab connected to pin 1 of the XLR, but the text that precedes the diagram still says "The RCA “GND” should be soldered to Pin #3." I presume that you definitely mean "pin #1"...

While I am nitpicking :oops:, may I suggest that you add page numbers in a page header or footer? That would be convenient when printing the instructions (or talking about them with you).

Finally, being an absolute ignoramus, but foolishly eager to try, I was wondering if you could illustrate (photo) the bleeding of the power supply, which seems like a bad thing to get wrong. In particular, page 21, you wrote: "Clip both the leads across the positive to ground and then the negative to ground connections on the power supply." Presumably, draining is done only from the DC output of the power supply (and there's no sense connecting the bleeder to the AC input connectors), right? And presumably, what you're describing is: (1a) connecting a clip to the positive connector of DC output 1 and the other clip to the ground connector of output 1, (1b) waiting some time (how long?), then (1c-d) doing the same with the negative connector of DC output 1, then (2-5) repeating with the remaining 4 sets of connectors? Replacing the bleeder's clips with those of a DC voltmeter (before and after) would then show a drop to 0... Did I understand correctly or should I just focus on software?

Many thanks,
Herb

Excellent suggestions and I'm always open to more.   There are several more pictures and diagrams I'd like to include.   The bleeder diagram being one of them.   The diagrams are sometimes more clear than a photo.   The concept is clearly communicated by a diagram.   Photos are sometimes limited by my photography skills and sometimes parts change and look different in later revisions.   If people understand the concept and can look at the diagram they engage their brain more in my experience.

I'm also going to send parts for the bleeder with the kit.   Its just a piece of wire, 10K resistor and a couple alligator clips so it isn't terribly expensive.