Audiophile Recordings

bgewaudio

Audiophile Recordings
« on: 14 Aug 2006, 04:35 pm »
Anyone here know of any really well recorded music?

Just trying to expand my collection and hope to let you folks know what I have found!

Thanks

markC

Re: Audiophile Recordings
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2006, 09:03 pm »
Don't know if your into Patricia Barber or not, but IMO her stuff is very well recorded. Companion and Nightclub are two of the best. Oh and Cafe Blue, but I care for that one least of all. I must admit that I can only handle so much of her, but given the right mood, thses discs are outstanding.

mcrespo71

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2006, 09:05 pm »
Reference Recordings are excellent sonically- if you like classical.  Plus, the performances are usually at least decent.

gitarretyp

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2006, 09:12 pm »
You can't go too far wrong with anything from mapelshade, chesky, or FIM (though some of the artists leave a bit to be desired).

Tyrro

• 5th note design studio
« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2006, 09:46 pm »
Are you listening to CDs or LPs? There are some very good recording available only on LPs.

PhilNYC

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2006, 09:49 pm »
I'm generally a big fan of most of the stuff available on XRCD...

http://www.xrcd.com

bgewaudio

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2006, 10:23 am »
I have heard Patricial Barber's music, and I think it is fantastic.  I am into a lot of jazz so she is fitting, but, I can't find a whole lot of her stuff, it's mostly a special order item where I am.

I agree the Chesky recordings are outstanding, I recently purhased a Chesky 3 pack direct containing Livingston Taylor, Sarah K, and Rebecca Pidgeon.  The Rebecca Pidgeon "The Raven"  is absolutely outstanding, her voice has so much air it's incredible.  The only flaw I have found with it, is there is a little to much reverb in the studio, but this is minor.  Dianna Krall "The girl in the other room" is another one of my favorites, Piano and smokey like vocals are right up front where they should be and instrurments placed nicely in behind to give you that concert like environment.

I haven't jump on the vinyl bandwagon yet, but I would like to.  To me nothing sounds better than analog, so we will see.

GO ANALOG!!!!!!

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2006, 11:55 am »
2nd that Chesky Rebecca Pidgeon "The Raven", it is the music that brought me to "hifi".

bgewaudio

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2006, 12:00 pm »
Yeah, not surprising that CD has been used many times to evaluate HiFi in different shows!

ipy

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2006, 12:01 pm »
Try Dave's True Story "Nature"

or even Jacqui Naylor "Shelter"

Nice performance by the artists & natural recording but may not be "audiophile" certified though......

ZLS

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2006, 12:09 pm »
Hello,

Count Basie-For the Second Time.  (Piano Trio)

Fairfield Four- Standing In The Safety Zone (Acapella Gospel)

bgewaudio

« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2006, 12:11 pm »
Ipy, are these disc's avialable at any record store?

bgewaudio

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2006, 12:12 pm »
I heard Ray Charles "genius loves company" is also a really well recorded piece!

ipy

« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2006, 07:17 pm »
Ipy, are these disc's avialable at any record store?
Yes.......www.amazon.com, new & used  :D, if you have not discovered this already.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2006, 07:44 pm by ipy »

Tyrro

• 5th note design studio
« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2006, 08:37 pm »
If you're open to LPs, here's my recommendations:

Almost all Direct to Disc records are superb in sound quality and there are some other fine labels that make a quality records.

Here are a few record labels I personally own and would recommend getting for your new collection:

- Sheffield Labs Records
- Crystal Clear Records (especially their 45rpm are phenomenal!)
- M&K RealTime Records
- East Wind Records
- Tree Blind Mice Records (by CISCO)
- Toshiba Pro-Use Series Direct Cutting
- Discwasher Records
- Pure Audiophile
- NAIM Records

There are some good ones from Classical Records like Holly Cole 'Don't Smoke in Bed', Dave Brubeck 'Time Out' on 200g 45rpm and some others.

If you want to know what particular titles from each label I recommend, email me and I'll give you a list of all titles I personally heard, own and recommend.

bgewaudio

« Reply #15 on: 18 Aug 2006, 06:39 pm »
Thank you all!

Happy Listening

:D

2bigears

« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2006, 12:31 pm »
just laided down 100.00 for the gold copy of The Raven.sure hope it sounds good???? :D

fredgarvin

« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2006, 05:16 am »
Kyle Eastwood- "From there to Here" Diana King sings "Why cant we live Together" and Joni Mitchell does "Trouble Man"
Lee Ritenour- "wes Bound
", great guitar work, great recording.

Wally King

« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2006, 12:12 pm »
Though technically not "audiophile" labels, ECM and Tzadik offer consistently outstanding recordings of jazz and experimental/adventurous music.

ECM is known for their cool, cerebral, laid-back European style of jazz, and I've found their recordings to be very detailed and somewhat dry.

Tzadik is known (?) for jazz of a far more experimental, and sometimes aggressive nature, which will certainly not be everyone's cup of tea, but I've found much amazing music of many stripes on the label, and all have been excellently recorded. Typically, Tzadik recordings have a fuller, warmer sound compared to ECM recordings, but I'm generalizing. 

Think of Tzadik like tubes and ECM like SS.

I find that so-called audiophile labels tend to concentrate more on excellent sound rather than on excellent music. With labels like ECM and Tzadik, yo can have your cake and eat it too.

Another lable offering consistently high quality recordings and music (jazz, world and classical) is Nonesuch.

bgewaudio

« Reply #19 on: 25 Aug 2006, 10:58 am »
I find that so-called audiophile labels tend to concentrate more on excellent sound rather than on excellent music.

I think this is what separates audiophiles from music aficionados. Audiophiles tend to be more concerned with the quality of the recording rather than the quality of the music, for me I don't really care what the music sounds like, as long as it sounds good I'm happy.

:D