Bryston releasing anything new anytime soon?

alpsy

Bryston releasing anything new anytime soon?
« on: 11 Aug 2006, 04:25 am »
hi all,

any updates / rumours on when bryston are releasing anything new - eg cd player / transport, SPV2, amps, SP2 with hdmi, etc?

cheers,

julie

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston releasing anything new anytime soon?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2006, 11:53 am »
Hi,

Only thing new in the next few months will be the 28B amp, the CD player and the outboard DAC.

No HDMI on SP2 in the works for many months.

james

bgewaudio

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2006, 12:00 pm »
James, anymore recent updates on the transport mech?  Still going with Sony drive etc?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2006, 12:04 pm »
James, anymore recent updates on the transport mech?

The CD player will be first and then we will offer the Drive and the Outboard DAC once the CD player is up and running.  I would say 4-6 months away.

james

bgewaudio

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2006, 12:39 pm »
Cool, can't wait :D

Bob15

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2006, 10:02 am »
Hi,

Only thing new in the next few months will be the 28B amp, the CD player and the outboard DAC.

No HDMI on SP2 in the works for many months.

james

Maybe there is nothing in the works on HDMI for many months, but have your R&D /Engineering teams given any thought whatsoever to potential implementation and if so, anything you can share? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2006, 11:01 am »
HI Bob,

We have discussed that HDMI may become the way hi-res multi-channel audio will be transmitted but nothing as to how to best implement it.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2006, 12:38 pm »
James, anymore recent updates on the transport mech?  Still going with Sony drive etc?

Hi,

We are down to the Sony or a Phillips --- both front load units.

james

john1970

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2006, 12:50 pm »
Will the CD player have variable outputs so the end user can go directly to their amplifier? 

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2006, 12:52 pm »
Will the CD player have variable outputs so the end user can go directly to their amplifier? 

John

Hi John,

We would need to install a volume control in the circuit for that. It may be something to consider.

james

madders

« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2006, 02:34 pm »
There's no point considering HDMI until revision 1.3 is available to implement.

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2006, 03:56 pm »
HDMI 1.3 has been available for something around 2 mos.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2006, 04:00 pm »
Here is the thread I posted a couple of mos. back, FYI -  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=28722.0

I would not expect to see more widespread use for audio on rec'rs until CES in Jan.  I'm sure Bryston will get to it (I'm waiting to send in my SP 1.7 for upgrade for that so I don't have to send it twice) but it will probably be a few months after CES at the earliest.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2006, 05:27 pm »
Here is the thread I posted a couple of mos. back, FYI -  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=28722.0

I would not expect to see more widespread use for audio on rec'rs until CES in Jan.  I'm sure Bryston will get to it (I'm waiting to send in my SP 1.7 for upgrade for that so I don't have to send it twice) but it will probably be a few months after CES at the earliest.

Hi Phil,

I think it will be much longer than that for us to impliment HDMI. We have to sort out how we are going the run the audio vs the video through the SP2.

james

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2006, 06:57 pm »
James, thanks.  Any thoughts to the possibility of 2 switchable HDMI inputs on the SP-2.  One would just be a pass through for those of us without an external video switcher and another to work with the switcher?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2006, 08:12 pm »
James, thanks.  Any thoughts to the possibility of 2 switchable HDMI inputs on the SP-2.  One would just be a pass through for those of us without an external video switcher and another to work with the switcher?

That's the way we are thinking at this point but we are open to any and all suggestions.

james

madders

« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug 2006, 12:59 pm »
HDMI 1.3 has been available for something around 2 mos.

Fair point, I guess what I meant was as there was no source equipment to test it with, why look at this until you can make sure the "handshakes" work with a range of sources.

With regards to how the processor deals with the audio and video, it might be worth talking to the video processor guys to see how they are going about things as they obviously only really want to concentrate on the video side of things (apart from audio delay). 

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 13 Aug 2006, 03:43 pm »
The Toshiba HD DVD units (and its clone carry the RCA brand name) have been out for about 4 mos. and the Samsung Blu-Ray player just under 2.  They supposedly can pass the audio via HDMI to any rec'r with HDMI 1.1.  Toshiba will have its second generation product out in a few mos. and the Sony Blu-Ray player is scheduled for October and the PlayStation 3 in Nov.  HDMI apparently still has some compatibility issues for video.  I read a post the other day indicating a problem with a Denon rec'r and a Pioneer plasma and supposedly the Denon would not work with the Pioneer.  Perhaps that is why Key Digital (keydigital.com) just came out with an HDMI switch for a couple of Pioneer plasma models.  That's why I don't mind waiting and am fine with the Bryston approach with the SP-2.  When I get my SP 1.7 upgraded, it will be for audio only (I run eveything into my TV anyway).  My 3 HD ready sets are all component only and after the SP 1.7 gets the upgrade I can start thinking about looking into a source unit and new display.  I have 3 systems, main, bedroom and basement.  The basement barely gets used, but I use the other 2 on a regular basis to watch movies.  The bedroom receiver (a Sony 444ES) is probably ready for replacement (it is probably close to 6 yrs. old) in a year or two anyway.  I prefer to see what happens with the HD format war before I rush out and buy a new format.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 13 Aug 2006, 05:12 pm »
Hi Phil,

I was visiting with a dealer yesterday and he has the new HD Toshiba. He told me he has been having issues with HDMI when switching between components.

So if you go from your hi-def cable box to your HD DVD you may not get the handshake or it may default to 2 channel audio. He said he has been installing most of his setups with Component video and COAX audio.

james

sikoniko

« Reply #19 on: 14 Aug 2006, 01:30 am »
Hi Phil,

I was visiting with a dealer yesterday and he has the new HD Toshiba. He told me he has been having issues with HDMI when switching between components.

So if you go from your hi-def cable box to your HD DVD you may not get the handshake or it may default to 2 channel audio. He said he has been installing most of his setups with Component video and COAX audio.

james

coax? is that digital? if so, then his customers are losing the benefit of the new audio formats. that is half of the value in hddvd!!!!

as far as the hdmi, if you have the player on, hit pause, and change video sources, the hddvd player will stop itself, and it does not have a way to save where you left off. that is an annoyance, but if you know about it ahead of time, hopefully it isnt a regular practice. thats like repeatedly hitting your head against a brick wall because you dont know better.

I have more trouble with my comcast cable box and switching hdmi than i do with the toshiba to be honest.

with that being said, I think bryston should accomodate those who prefer to use an external scaler, as well as those who are not. my biggest issue on the video side is that I can use everything for hdmi except my xbox, or xbox360 should I get one. because of that, I will require outboard gear of some type, and I don't expect bryston to handle that in the sp2.

I dont see the value in an SPV2 either at its cost, because it is priced too close to the dvdo. just my opinion. I bought a sherwood video switcher that has 2 hdmi and 1 component to hdmi conversion and it works fine for $300.