Bryston releasing anything new anytime soon?

Phil A

Re: Bryston releasing anything new anytime soon?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Aug 2006, 01:45 am »
James - not unlike many stories I've heard.  The guy with the Denon rec'r and Pioneer plasma had this to say:

"Had the gentleman who pre-wired my house do the install...he does it everyday......and the HDMI would not work at all.

Progressive works, S-video works but HDMI...and I bought a few cables from a trusted source here on the forum.....and nothing.

I brought in the Denon/Pioneer warranty guy to fix things and he determined that the software matching up each component would not work with HDMI..."

Personally, I believe the move studios are over paranoid about copy protection.  Most bootleg discs I've seen are poor quality taken with a recording device in the movie theater and gotten to the street ahead of the DVD release.  I got off at a major North East US train station visiting someone last yr. and members the city's police force on duty were talking to the vendors and buying bootleg software.  Since it is a Federal crime here in the US it did not impress me nor does it make me feel better as a typical early adopter of audio/video stuff that the movie studios are taking it out on the people like me who typically spend money (a vague promise not to contrict the image over component until 2010 is a step and a half from being worthless in my opinion) to purchase stuff.  I'm more than happy to wait until Bryston adopts HDMI and then see where everything stands.  I'll continue to buy regular DVDs and see no need to ever re-buy most (like 98-99%) of what I already have on some other format.  I still have about 130 LDs.  If I ever get an HDMI display, my Marantz DV9600 can upsample regular DVDs to 1080p over HDMI.  With the format war, the problems with HDMI and the history of stuff like SACD and DVD-A, the studios in my opinion have really shot themselves in the foot on this one.  There's a lot of typical early adopters like me who have a wait and see attitude.  That can't help the new formats for sure.

bgewaudio

« Reply #21 on: 14 Aug 2006, 11:24 am »
James, what do the guy's have planned for the display window on the transport/CD player?  I would like to see bigger characters (possibly 3/4") green numbers for track listings etc.

Easier to see from far away and would sport a pro look!

Let me know what you think.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 14 Aug 2006, 11:36 am »
Hi Phil,

I was visiting with a dealer yesterday and he has the new HD Toshiba. He told me he has been having issues with HDMI when switching between components.

So if you go from your hi-def cable box to your HD DVD you may not get the handshake or it may default to 2 channel audio. He said he has been installing most of his setups with Component video and COAX audio.

james

coax? is that digital? if so, then his customers are losing the benefit of the new audio formats. that is half of the value in hddvd!!!!

as far as the hdmi, if you have the player on, hit pause, and change video sources, the hddvd player will stop itself, and it does not have a way to save where you left off. that is an annoyance, but if you know about it ahead of time, hopefully it isnt a regular practice. thats like repeatedly hitting your head against a brick wall because you dont know better.

I have more trouble with my comcast cable box and switching hdmi than i do with the toshiba to be honest.

with that being said, I think bryston should accomodate those who prefer to use an external scaler, as well as those who are not. my biggest issue on the video side is that I can use everything for hdmi except my xbox, or xbox360 should I get one. because of that, I will require outboard gear of some type, and I don't expect bryston to handle that in the sp2.

I dont see the value in an SPV2 either at its cost, because it is priced too close to the dvdo. just my opinion. I bought a sherwood video switcher that has 2 hdmi and 1 component to hdmi conversion and it works fine for $300.

Hi,

Yes COAX is the SPDIF Digital connector.

As for the video switcher -- the reason for a Bryston version is that the video switcher offers 'ON Screen Display' and also 'Sequences' the inputs of the Audio and the Video with the SP2 through the remote.

james
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2006, 11:47 am by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 14 Aug 2006, 11:39 am »
James, what do the guy's have planned for the display window on the transport/CD player?  I would like to see bigger characters (possibly 3/4") green numbers for track listings etc.

Yes we have been discussing that. The advantage of using the same LCD display that we use in the SP2 is cost efficiency of course.

james

sikoniko

« Reply #24 on: 14 Aug 2006, 03:49 pm »

Yes we have been discussing that. The advantage of using the same LCD display that we use in the SP2 is cost efficiency of course.

james

James,

If you add balanced connections to the CDP, would there be any consideration on adding balanced inputs the the SP2 in the future as well?

mv038856

« Reply #25 on: 15 Aug 2006, 09:24 pm »
Hi James!

james

Do you plan to include a bi-directional RS232-Port on the new Bryston CD-player/transport to enable control through Crestron and the like?

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 16 Aug 2006, 11:54 am »
Hi Markus,

Have not discussed that yet.

james

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #27 on: 16 Aug 2006, 02:47 pm »

coax? is that digital? if so, then his customers are losing the benefit of the new audio formats. that is half of the value in hddvd!!!!

Half the theoretical value.  But find me a title that was actually recorded in 24/96 7.1. 

It should also be said that the HDMI 1.3 chip needed for a preamp/switcher aren't out yet and won't be for months and it takes quite awhile to get those chips into a product once they do ship.  It's not like they just clip in and start working.  Talking to the guys at NAD, this is one of their biggest frustrations, that consumer hear that new standards are adopted and that chips may someday be available and begin to expect it in products right this moment.  The average preamp probably takes 2 years from the time it is conceived til it gets to market, if everything goes well.  18 months at least and more like 3 years (or never) if issues keep coming up. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 16 Aug 2006, 03:00 pm »

Half the theoretical value.  But find me a title that was actually recorded in 24/96 7.1. 

It should also be said that the HDMI 1.3 chip needed for a preamp/switcher aren't out yet and won't be for months and it takes quite awhile to get those chips into a product once they do ship.  It's not like they just clip in and start working.  Talking to the guys at NAD, this is one of their biggest frustrations, that consumer hear that new standards are adopted and that chips may someday be available and begin to expect it in products right this moment.  The average preamp probably takes 2 years from the time it is conceived til it gets to market, if everything goes well.  18 months at least and more like 3 years (or never) if issues keep coming up. 

Hi John,

Good points.
The best I have seen so far is a DTS demo disc that has Blue Man Group at 96/24 5.1

james

MOZ

« Reply #29 on: 16 Aug 2006, 03:05 pm »
Don't forget the wonderful R3 edition of the recent movie "THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA" in 24/96 !!!
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003999449/code-w/section-videos/

And some more DTS music discs...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 16 Aug 2006, 03:09 pm »
Don't forget the wonderful R3 edition of the recent movie "THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA" in 24/96 !!!
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003999449/code-w/section-videos/

And some more DTS music discs...

Remember though this is Compressed DTS not hi-res 96/24 x 5.1 or 7.1

james

MOZ

« Reply #31 on: 16 Aug 2006, 03:21 pm »
You're right, but it works quite good for a compressed one  :green:

sikoniko

« Reply #32 on: 16 Aug 2006, 04:17 pm »

1. HDMI 1.3 is a convenience. a one cable solution. it will increase the color pallete as well, but mostly just a convenience, not a necessity.

2. Your 7.1 is moot point. The toshiba does not support 7.1 analog outputs, and the SP2 does not support 7.1 inputs.

Furthermore, compare the number of DTSES 6.1 movies to standard DD or even DTS movies.

Dolby TrueHD 
 Dolby® TrueHD is Dolby’s next-generation lossless technology developed for high-definition disc-based media. Dolby TrueHD delivers tantalizing sound that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master, unlocking the true high-definition entertainment experience on next-generation discs. When coupled with high-definition video, Dolby TrueHD offers an unprecedented home theater experience that lets you enjoy sound as stunning as the high-definition picture.

Features
100 percent lossless coding technology.
Up to 18 Mbps bit rate.
Supports up to eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio.*
Supported by High-Definition Media Interface (HDMI™), the new single-cable digital connection for audio and video.
Supports extensive metadata including dialogue normalization and dynamic range control.

available movies:
Phantom of the Opera
Training Day
Perfect Storm
Constantine

Coming soon (Already announced)
Harry Potter: GoF
12 Monkeys
Out of Site
The Thing

3. Are you saying this because you have watched an hddvd movie with DD+ or even TrueHD with 2 channel and feel that way, or looking at a piece of paper/website and coming to that conclusion? I have and can say there is a night and day difference between DD+ and standard DD/DTS and then a night and day step up between DD+ and TrueHD.

Again, I stand behind the FACT that not taking advantage of the new audio codecs is only utilizing 50% of the new format.

Now some people dont care. a lot of people dont have home theaters, let alone surround sound and just watch a movie through their tv. others may not realize the benefits, but this is an audiophile board...

As far as Bryston jumping at the new technology, I know I've had my moments, but I understand they can't, and their commitment to do so when the time is right is a great benefit of buying a bryston product. Im sure I frustrate James on every other post, but at least he listens!

btw,

did you guys see this announcement?

http://www.audioholics.com/news/pressreleases/HDMI13siliconimagechips.php

Phil A

« Reply #33 on: 16 Aug 2006, 04:43 pm »
No - did not see the Silicon Image announcement - thanks

sikoniko

« Reply #34 on: 17 Aug 2006, 11:40 am »
I am quoting the following from avsforum, to clarify on the HDMI release:

HDMI 1.3 Rx chips are shipping for a video display (sync device)....
An AVR requires an HDMI 1.3 Repeater chip, and these will only be sampling in November..
Mass Production in March, 2007..
Incorporated into complete AVRs in June, 2007....