Bryston Connections

koiman

Bryston Connections
« on: 29 Jul 2006, 09:00 pm »
John,
Don't the Pro models have only xlr inputs and outputs.

john1970

Bryston Connections
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2006, 09:33 pm »
Koiman,

It is my understanding that the Pro models also have single-end inputs.  I asked Bryston if the only differences were the adjustable gain and faceplate.  They replied yes at the time.  If you are considering the purchase ask before buying.  In the worst case scenario you need to purchase a pair of balanced to un-balanced interconnects which should not cost more than $30 to $50.

Good luck,

John

koiman

Bryston Connections
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2006, 09:51 pm »
John,
I contacted a Bryston Pro Dealer a few months ago because the price he offered was much better than I could find anywhere. He told me he only sold the Pro version and that it came only with the xlr inputs and outputs, and that by using the adapter that the sound would be degraded lower then  using regular unbalanced RCA connectors.

john1970

Bryston Connections
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2006, 10:44 pm »
I can't comment since I have no knowledge on the balanced interconnects.  Thank you for pointing out the difference.

Thanks,

John

Bob Reynolds

Bryston Connections
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2006, 05:43 am »
Koiman & John,

I don't know about the Bryston Pro amps supporting unbalanced inputs. Whether they do or not, it is not a big problem. One solution as John pointed out is an RCA-to-XLR cable. As the pro dealer stated that is not an optimal solution. A better solution is to use a Jensen output transformer to convert the unbalanced output of your preamp to balanced.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/iso_aud.html

Look at the DM2-2XX product. You can have that configured with RCA inputs and XLR outputs, actual product becomes DM2-2RX. You would use very short RCA cables (say 1 foot) from the preamp to the DM2-2RX and then XLR cables from the DM2-2RX to the Bryston amp. The Jensen product sells for $210. I use this model to convert the output of my Arcam CD player to balanced.

+++++++++

Just checked the Bryston web site and it appears that the Pro amps support both balanced and single-ended connectors: http://www.bryston.ca/4bsstpro_m.html

« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2006, 06:25 am by Bob Reynolds »

mca

Bryston Connections
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2006, 03:00 pm »
Just curious how the Bryston discussion got on this page :scratch:

Bob Reynolds

Bryston Connections
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2006, 06:56 pm »

I was curious about the same thing. I looked in the Bryston circle, but didn't see where these posts would fit, so I just joined in hoping that "the powers that be" would move them to wherever they really belong. Sorry for crashing your thread.

-- Bob

jethro

Re: Bryston Connections
« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2006, 09:21 pm »

I'm confused. I didn't move any threads.