Looking for a new amp

mca

Looking for a new amp
« on: 28 Jul 2006, 04:27 am »
I am looking for something new to power my Zu Druids. Don't want to mess with tubes or batteries. I am thinking about the Audiosector Patek right now. Will be used with Modwright pre and modded SB3. Any other suggestions?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Looking for a new amp
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2006, 05:29 am »
New avatar....I see. :lol:
What type of sound do you seek ? (meaning what do you value)...I've heard an AudioSector integrated, borrowed it from GHM. Sounded very good (IMO). And with high eff. speakers...it worked well.
Might you have a budget also ?
Chris

maxwalrath

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2006, 05:37 am »
The Patek kicks serious ass. Highest possible recommendation from me. Had mine for about 8 months and I think it's found a permanent home, with the only exception being when I send it in for the blackgate upgrades.

mca

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2006, 10:39 pm »
What type of sound do you seek ?

Well, I guess it's the stock issue answer of a good, smooth sound with lots of detail and a big wide, deep soundstage  :D

I really like the sound my modded Wavelength Duetto provides, but the heat and cost of all them tubes is going to be killer come replacement time.

The Signature 30 sound like it has the qualities I like in an amplifier also. I just made the decision not to mess with any tube amps or batteries anymore.

GHM

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2006, 11:03 pm »
Well if that's the sound you seek. Then the Patek is the amplifier. 8) If you experience any harshness..it's not the amplifier.. it is the source.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2006, 12:45 am »
Well, I guess it's the stock issue answer of a good, smooth sound with lots of detail and a big wide, deep soundstage 
------------------------------------------
GGA class-a amps have all these charactiristics and more, and more importantly with enough
volume the soundstage appears live!!!! what more can you say, music rules in GGA amps

cheers
ps the truth must be said, GGA amps=very musical  8)

gongos

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2006, 02:04 am »
CI Audio D-series monoblocks. There are a couple used pair on Audiogon right now.

mca

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2006, 02:36 am »
What the heck is a GGA amp?

If I only knew someone local with a pair of CIA amps to try out in the old system  :scratch:

ton1313

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2006, 05:10 am »
Currently running mine with a Nuforce IA-7 integrated. These amps are awsome, lots of detail and control.

mca

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2006, 03:23 pm »
Now I read that the Signature 30 uses two batteries and has a playing time of around 24 hours. I was concerned about play time because this amp will also serve duty in my HT setup. With that kind of play time, it may not be a problem.

If the Sig 30 is a big enough step up from the Patek, I may have to look into it also. Has anyone by chance heard both of these amps?

04dgmsilv

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2006, 03:37 pm »
You've pretty much described my little system, except I went the DIY Patekclone route.  Purchased the premium LM3875 kit with black gates from Peter Daniel and wired it up in his integrated chassis as an amp only.  I've got the RWA modded SB3, the Druids and Modwright linestage.  Now previously I was only using a Parasound HCA750 as an amp.  To say this is a step up is an understatement.  This system has exactly what I have longed for, completely non-fatiguing (hours and hours of listening), crazy transients and sounds fantastic at lower volumes (i live in an apartment).

If your handy with a soldering iron, you can by all the parts from Peter as a complete kit and assemble it in about one evening.