Realtraps Tri-Corner traps

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Realtraps Tri-Corner traps
« on: 29 Jul 2006, 11:34 pm »
Guys,

I am going to install four of Ethan's Tri-Corner traps (hopefully tonight).  These will be replacing EighthNerve Response Corners.

These are Realtraps' "new" triangle deisgn and not the older square one.

Fit and finish is excellent and what I have come to expect from Realtraps.

I'll post some pics once mounted and I will also run a few new readings with the TacT to see what changes can be measured.

Also, here are a few pics that show the current and new stand design for Realtrap's Minitraps:

95bcwh

Re: Realtraps Tri-Corner traps
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2006, 11:41 pm »
Excellent Zybar :thumb:.. It would be interesting to see your new measurement as well as your new target curve once you're happy with the sound.

tdangelo

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2006, 02:10 pm »
Very nice layout George - looks great!!  I SURE wish I had all that room.  Actually I have a 20x30 family room/kitchen/nook.  Hmmm...  only problem is one side has a 12x8 glass slider - one corner has a angled fireplace etc... Then I have the fridge to listen to etc... Next house maybe ;)

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2006, 03:45 am »
Hello......what are the speakers aimed at?  The absorption is nice in the corners.  We would recommend a 4X6 or 4X8 diffusion module on the front wall between the speakers.  Expanding the corner ceiling treatment into an absorbent soffit would improve the room further.  We quit using all absorption 30 YEARS ago.  Diffusion technology is transforming concert hall size to small rooms such as yours.

Tinkerer

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2006, 08:49 am »
You don't have children, do you?

(Not to pry, but seeing those various things with stands and legs arrayed about the room...I see a combination trip hazard and tip-over waiting to happen.)

BTW, regarding srlaudio's post about using only diffusion treatments:  This won't do anything to alleviate the problem of standing waves in the bass frequencies (15-100Hz), will it?  For that, you DO need bass traps - and huge quantities of bass traps, by my estimation.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2006, 10:05 am »
You don't have children, do you?

(Not to pry, but seeing those various things with stands and legs arrayed about the room...I see a combination trip hazard and tip-over waiting to happen.)

BTW, regarding srlaudio's post about using only diffusion treatments:  This won't do anything to alleviate the problem of standing waves in the bass frequencies (15-100Hz), will it?  For that, you DO need bass traps - and huge quantities of bass traps, by my estimation.

I do have children (two boys ages 2 and 5) and they are very good about not touching daddy's "toys".  The are in the room quite often as they like to sit with me and listen or dance to their favorite music.

George

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2006, 12:17 pm »
srlaudio,

What's you name?

> We quit using all absorption 30 YEARS ago.  Diffusion technology is transforming concert hall size to small rooms such as yours. <

Diffusion does not improve bass peaks and nulls, nor can it reduce modal ringing. I do agree that diffusion is useful in some situations, but probably not in very small room.

--Ethan

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2006, 12:20 pm »
Ethan, I still think you need to apply some type of diffusive "thing" (can't really think of a good word) to your traps as an option.  I'd love to be able to experiment with diffusion, but most of the stuff is too expensive (and covers too small of an area) to be useful.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2006, 12:40 pm »
Hello......what are the speakers aimed at?  The absorption is nice in the corners.  We would recommend a 4X6 or 4X8 diffusion module on the front wall between the speakers.  Expanding the corner ceiling treatment into an absorbent soffit would improve the room further.  We quit using all absorption 30 YEARS ago.  Diffusion technology is transforming concert hall size to small rooms such as yours.

They are aimed at the listening position.   :scratch:    Sorry, couldn't resisit.

Here is a picture of the room from the listening area:

I hope to get the Tri-Corners up today.  Once that happens pictures will shortly follow.

George

Glenn K

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2006, 01:09 pm »
Very cool looking pictures..  :thumb:
What did you put the back wall? 

Glenn

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2006, 01:09 pm »
Bob,

> I still think you need to apply some type of diffusive "thing" ... but most of the stuff is too expensive <

One problem with diffusors is the good designs are complex to make (read: expensive), and the lesser designs are not very effective. But I'm not ruling it out either. 8)

--Ethan

nathanm

« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2006, 03:28 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing these triangular shaped traps!  But please Photoshop out the dead bodies of young children, flattened to pulp by the terrifying black monoliths of steel and fiberglass.  HiFi can be so utterly dangerous...

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2006, 04:06 pm »
Very cool looking pictures..  :thumb:
What did you put the back wall? 

Glenn

I need to take some new pics, but here is one of my listening area not long after we moved in:

As I have mentioned before in different threads, I combined what was the formal livingroom and diningroom into my 2 channel area.

Here are the stats:

Overall space is 29'3" x 13'9"/17'6" (first 15'3 of room/second half 14')) x 8'.

Speakers are 70" from the front panel to front wall.

Speakers are 30" from the center of the midrange driver to the side walls.

Speakers are 8'9" apart center to center.

I sit roughly 16'6" from the speakers, centered perfectly between them.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2006, 04:07 pm »

Do you have pics of your diffusor module?

What is the cost?

George

95bcwh

« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2006, 04:28 pm »
Ethan, is it true that to use a diffusor, it has to be some 8ft away from  speakers or listening position?

Thanks and best regards
barry

Bob,

> I still think you need to apply some type of diffusive "thing" ... but most of the stuff is too expensive <

One problem with diffusors is the good designs are complex to make (read: expensive), and the lesser designs are not very effective. But I'm not ruling it out either. 8)

--Ethan

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2006, 04:40 pm »
Jeese-louise George, at least take down the hidious dining fixure a and Install a couple of recessed cans over you chair on a dimmer for reading or something. :D
Was wondered where the Sonatas used to call home.  I have a wood floor as well and am using 8th Nerve stuff with success :green:.
I can see why you also had problems with the VMPS speakers, I think the room, like mine, is a mismatch for them. :evil:
Those Salks have me interested too. Just haven't decided to spend that much on speakers yet.
I need to update my picture. :roll:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2006, 05:10 pm »
Jeese-louise George, at least take down the hidious dining fixure a and Install a couple of recessed cans over you chair on a dimmer for reading or something. :D
Was wondered where the Sonatas used to call home.  I have a wood floor as well and am using 8th Nerve stuff with success :green:.
I can see why you also had problems with the VMPS speakers, I think the room, like mine, is a mismatch for them. :evil:
Those Salks have me interested too. Just haven't decided to spend that much on speakers yet.
I need to update my picture. :roll:

That fixture is long gone.   :thumb:

The Sonata and VMPS speakers never were used in my "new" house.  They were used in the my old NY house only.  Here is pic (sorry it is blurry) of the VMPS RM 40's:

George

klh

« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2006, 05:37 pm »
George... what speakers are you using in the HT now that the HT3s are used elsewhere?

Nevermind... when this posted I got my answer!

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2006, 05:43 pm »
Well, thats good.
I am from Catskill, NY, but moved out here about 8 years ago. Bad move for the hobby as this area is not into the audio scene like back east. :evil:
Are the Salks hard to "tame" in the new wood and gypsum room?
I like the laid back sound of the Sonatas, very pleasing, can listen for a long time.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2006, 06:09 pm »
> is it true that to use a diffusor, it has to be some 8ft away from  speakers or listening position? <

According to articles I've read by Peter D'Antonio (head of RPG, all-around brilliant acoustics guy), RPG's deep well and skyline diffusors work best when they're ten feet or more away from your ears. "Lesser" diffusors that don't work to as low a frequency as RPG's can be closer. So it's not a fixed minimum distance, but instead depends on how low in frequency the diffusion is effective to.

I've been playing around with diffusors quite a bit lately, and I've found them effective even a few inches away. In this case "effective" means better sounding than a reflecting bare sheet rock wall.

So as I see it, there's no simple answer. I will say that diffusion seems to work better in larger rooms than smaller rooms, for many reasons. I don't have time to write the 2,000 words needed to really explain this, so here's the Reader's Digest version:

In small rooms the bass problems are so severe that you're better off covering what little wall space there is with bass traps.

--Ethan