Realtraps Tri-Corner traps

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Realtraps Tri-Corner traps
« Reply #20 on: 3 Aug 2006, 06:11 pm »
George... what speakers are you using in the HT now that the HT3s are used elsewhere?

Nevermind... when this posted I got my answer!

I currently don't have my HT up and running.

I will need new L/R speakers and haven't yet decided what they will be.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: 3 Aug 2006, 06:13 pm »
Well, thats good.
I am from Catskill, NY, but moved out here about 8 years ago. Bad move for the hobby as this area is not into the audio scene like back east. :evil:
Are the Salks hard to "tame" in the new wood and gypsum room?
I like the laid back sound of the Sonatas, very pleasing, can listen for a long time.

Nope, Salks are singing.  I can't imagine what RM 40's would sound like in a hardwood room.   :nono:

I always liked the Sonata II's.  If I didn't need the cash, I would have held on to them and used them at some point - glad to hear that you are enjoying them.

George

carusoracer

« Reply #22 on: 4 Aug 2006, 02:31 pm »
[
[
You don't have children, do you?

[/quote]

I do have children (two boys ages 2 and 5) and they are very good about not touching daddy's "toys".  The are in the room quite often as they like to sit with me and listen or dance to their favorite music.

George

That is the best "Quote" you can make. It is fun to watch the youngsters grow and develope listening to music. It can be nerve racking when they jump too hard on the floor :wink: But once they understand not to touch the equipment listening to you child humm along to a tune is gratifying :thumb:
[/quote]

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 4 Aug 2006, 09:11 pm »
Ok, I have the Tri-Corner traps up now and as Ethan predicted, each time I put one up, I was able to do it better and faster.   :wink:

I will try and get to taking measurements in the coming days (I am tired from painting th elast two days).

To my ears the sound is cleaner and is able to play louder without it getting that "I am pushing it too hard sound".  The soundstage is a little deeper too.

Here are some pics:

The room from the listening position:

Right side of room (missing another Minitrap in the far right corner):

Tri-Corner + Minitrap on a stand:

My little brother holding up a Tri-Corner (not exactly small are they?):

ZooDog

« Reply #24 on: 5 Aug 2006, 01:44 am »
George,

What's the msrp on these things?  They look pretty sturdy.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 5 Aug 2006, 01:57 pm »
Ok, nice and clean pic of the front of the room:

George

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #26 on: 5 Aug 2006, 02:35 pm »
Zoo,

> What's the msrp on these things?  They look pretty sturdy. <

I'm now (frantically!) updating our web site to list the Tri-Corner as well as two other new products. I expect to have this done today or tomorrow, so you'll be able to read more very soon about all the new models.

The price is $249.99, which is a little higher than our other panels. But this is a very expensive piece for us to manufacture due to the way it's built. The rear of the trap telescopes into the corner such that it looks only one inch thick even though it's really four inches deep. We also have a new MondoTrap model built the same way, with beveled edges to better fit in a corner and look like it's only one inch thick.

It was important for us to make the Tri-Corner trap as large and thick as practical, because anything much smaller or thinner just won't absorb enough bass to be useful. So there are four separate layers of absorbing material inside, each a different custom size cut by hand into the shape of a triangle. But hopefully the extra effort will be worth it, and other people will think it looks as nice as we do. :thumb:

--Ethan

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #27 on: 7 Aug 2006, 03:21 am »
Congrats on your new product rollout Ethan.  Good looking stuff.

Bryan

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 7 Aug 2006, 03:48 am »
Nice!  I think the room actually looks better with the corner traps up. :)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 7 Aug 2006, 12:29 pm »
Nice!  I think the room actually looks better with the corner traps up. :)

Thanks Rob.

I am very happy with the way the room looks and sounds.

Only thing left is to get some curtains on those windows.

George

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #30 on: 7 Aug 2006, 01:05 pm »
Maybe you all didn't understand my post....I said expand the concept of the pillows in the corner to a continuous soffit.  This would multiply the bass trapping by a big factor.  In the control room on my gallery, the "sweet spot" is all over the room!  I do not know what you are referring to when you mention "narrow", the experiences we have had in multiple rooms it actually is the opposite.  An absorption panel is a good thing, however is does not eliminate the "signature" of a flat wall reflection.  It only attenuates it.  A properly designed diffusor removes the "flat wall" reflection and replaces it with an airy, pleasant soundfield.  In current leading edge control room designs, there is massive amounts of diffusion.  Of course the modal standing waves are addressed with "built in" bass trapping, but many of these rooms are considered "small".  I will round up pictures and articles if anyone else is interested....

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #31 on: 7 Aug 2006, 02:35 pm »
> I think the room actually looks better with the corner traps up. :) <

> Congrats on your new product rollout Ethan.  Good looking stuff. <

Thanks guys!

Now all George needs is another half dozen MondoTraps along the wall-floor corners. :lol:

--Ethan

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #32 on: 7 Aug 2006, 02:49 pm »
Allen,

> In the control room on my gallery, the "sweet spot" is all over the room! <

I get that in my living room too, photos below. :green:

> An absorption panel is a good thing, however is does not eliminate the "signature" of a flat wall reflection.  It only attenuates it.  A properly designed diffusor removes the "flat wall" reflection and replaces it with an airy, pleasant soundfield. <

Okay, let's examine that idea a little more closely. I'm not opposed to diffusion, but it doesn't necessarily solve the same problems as absorption does.

All room acoustic problems are caused by reflections. Most people understand that obvious echoes and excess ambience are a problem, and absorption solves both but diffusion solves only the first. In most rooms the size you'll find in homes there's already too much ambience. Though diffusion could be appropriate in a room with wall to wall heavy carpet and lots of plush furniture.

What fewer people understand is the importance of comb filtering and its affect on clarity and imaging. This is what creates the "signature of a flat wall" as you put it. Absorption absolutely avoids that signature boxy sound because it stops the reflections in the first place. Diffusion can reduce comb filtering too, but it does so over a smaller range of frequencies. Even "good" diffusors are most effective mainly from around 800 Hz up to maybe 4 KHz. Contrast that with "good" absorption that absorbs reflections from around 300 Hz to past 10 KHz.

> In current leading edge control room designs, there is massive amounts of diffusion. <

Yes, but leading edge control rooms are generally much larger than home listening rooms, and they're almost always much better proportioned and with a more appropriate listening position within the room.

--Ethan

srlaudio

• Industry Participant
    • SRL Acoustics
« Reply #33 on: 7 Aug 2006, 05:24 pm »
Ethan,
    I like your posts and your living room looks like a nice listening space.....We DO address comb filtering, flutter echoes, standing waves, and isolation problems, all by using all technically and artistically proven technologies.  The drawings on the acoustic gallery on our own website illustrate that.  A=absorpion, D=diffusion, B=basstrap.  Your products are a nice upgrade from the foam and low end attempts at panels.  I would like to mix some in sometime to see what happens. I majored in Trombone, so perhaps we have a lot in common......

8thnerve

« Reply #34 on: 7 Aug 2006, 05:31 pm »
Zoo,

> What's the msrp on these things?  They look pretty sturdy. <

I'm now (frantically!) updating our web site to list the Tri-Corner as well as two other new products. I expect to have this done today or tomorrow, so you'll be able to read more very soon about all the new models.

The price is $249.99, which is a little higher than our other panels. But this is a very expensive piece for us to manufacture due to the way it's built. The rear of the trap telescopes into the corner such that it looks only one inch thick even though it's really four inches deep. We also have a new MondoTrap model built the same way, with beveled edges to better fit in a corner and look like it's only one inch thick.

It was important for us to make the Tri-Corner trap as large and thick as practical, because anything much smaller or thinner just won't absorb enough bass to be useful. So there are four separate layers of absorbing material inside, each a different custom size cut by hand into the shape of a triangle. But hopefully the extra effort will be worth it, and other people will think it looks as nice as we do. :thumb:

--Ethan

Ethan,

Is the front of this product reflective?

Nathan

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #35 on: 8 Aug 2006, 03:09 pm »
Allen,

> We DO address comb filtering, flutter echoes, standing waves, and isolation problems, all by using all technically and artistically proven technologies. The drawings on the acoustic gallery on our own website illustrate that. A=absorpion, D=diffusion, B=basstrap. <

I've looked at your site a few times, but I never could find a list of products, let alone data or even prices. Do you have a list of products? Prices? Tech data?

> I majored in Trombone, so perhaps we have a lot in common...... <

I bet we do!

--Ethan

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
« Reply #36 on: 8 Aug 2006, 03:12 pm »
Nathan,

> Is the front of this product reflective? <

We can build them either way, but the "standard" is to put a semi-reflective membrane on the front. If someone has a reason to prefer the "HF" version, for more absorption at mid and high frequencies, we can do that too.

--Ethan

Bob Wilcox

« Reply #37 on: 9 Aug 2006, 12:31 am »
George

Have you had a chance to redo your Tact curve and determine the effect of the new traps on room response?

Bob

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 9 Aug 2006, 12:47 am »
George

Have you had a chance to redo your Tact curve and determine the effect of the new traps on room response?

Bob

Not yet Bob...too busy painting today. 

Hopefully this weekend.

George

Glenn K

« Reply #39 on: 9 Aug 2006, 01:28 pm »
Hey Ethan,

Finally had a second to visit your site. Wow those new traps really do look great! Hats off to you and Doug.

Glenn