1) 1 meter pair of Cryo'ed M-80 interconnects
1) 1 meter Cryo'ed digital cable
1) 6' NITRO power cable with Furutech Rhodium Plated connectors
1) 6' Type 1 power cable
1) 6' Type 2 power cable
1) pair of Silver Bullet Bybee inline purifiers
1) music demo disc
1) Cryo'ed music demo disc

I hope that eveyone who signed up for the audition pack will post some thoughts on the gear. I would like to hear what folks think of the differences between the standard and Cryo treated cables and CDs.

I also really would like to hear feedback on the Bybee inline purifiers. I would like for you try them not only on the analog cables, but also in the digital signal path. Try them with one on the output of the CD and one on the input of the DI/O. Also, try them from your DVD player to your HT system on the digital out. I have found improvement on the DTS and DD signals. You may want to see if you can see any difference using them on video signals.

I am really sorry for the delay in getting this package out. Hopefully the wait will be worth it.

Just so you know, for shipping on to the next person, the package weighs 10 pounds. Please get in touch with me when you are done with your audition so I can send you the name and address of the next person to send it to.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
MENSA Plus Audition pack ON THE WAY!!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2003, 08:24 pm »
Nice.  In case anyone missed it in the other thread, I got to compare in real time A-B switching the Mensa to an Accuphase DP-65, and both Gary and I thought the Mensa was a little better in his system.  The DP-65 is a $7500 CD player.

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2003, 08:58 pm »
Thanks for the update Wayne.  MaxCast please cancel all your appointments and meetings, make sure you don't break anything. :mrgreen:

NB

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2003, 11:01 am »
Sure looking forward to receiving this box of Bolder stuff!!

NB, I already made some plans to get the family out of the house for awhile 8)   I've been telling my wife about it and that I'll need some time-she just shook her head and said, "to listen to cables?" :lol:

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2003, 01:49 pm »
MaxCast,

I just checked the tracking info and it looks good for a Thursday delivery.

When you get the package, set up the DI/O with your CD player on and plug the digital cable into the DI/O and then the audio interconnects and THEN plug the power cable in. Make sure there is a sync signal present at the DI/O BEFORE you plug it in. Lot of lights will flash and it should settle down to just a green light on the front and a green light on top.

Let the DI/O play for about an hour to "warm up" and let the caps charge back up. Then you should be good to go. If you change the digital cable out or add the purifirere in the digital line, make sure you unplug the DI/O first, give it about 30-45 seconds for the caps to discharge and then plug the power back in after the change. This way the processor will see the same sync signal and all will be well.

Robin,

Thanks for your comments again, I will do the best I can to get your last In-line purifier out to you asap.

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2003, 02:00 pm »
Thanks Wayne, the sync issue is a concern of mine given I am using a carasel.
Do you have this proceedure included in the kit?  If not, I'll type it out and include it for the next lucky auditioner.  Any anything else one may need to know about the pack?

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2003, 02:14 pm »
MaxCast,

I was in a bit of a hurry to get the package ready to go. I did not include any directions :oops:

As long as your carousel has coax output and is NOT a DVD/CD unit, you should be fine.

If it is DVD, the sync signal may shut off between discs and you may have to unplug, wait, and then plug the DI/O back in again.

The DI/O IS happiest being used with a straight CD ONLY transport, like my CAL DELTA :)

The CDs I included should give people doing comparisons a good reference to what others are hearing. If MaxCast talks about sounstage on one track, the others following him with be able to listen for what he is hearing.

MaxCast

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2003, 02:24 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
MaxCast,

I was in a bit of a hurry to get the package ready to go. I did not include any directions :oops:

Wayne,
I will print out your instructions and include when it moves on.  If you want to do it and fax/email or want anything else included. LMK.

Xi-Trum

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2003, 06:28 pm »
Cool.  I've been waiting for this.  :D

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2003, 08:13 pm »
Wayne,
any hints to the song list on the demo disc, or are you going to make me wait? :D

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2003, 08:24 pm »
I will say that Jason and Tyson are as tired of listening to those songs as I am to Natalie Merchant's "Ophelia" :lol:

Bels Fleck and the Flecktones" Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" will determine if your system can reproduce deep, loud bass.

The track by The Blue Man Group is useful for transients and image placement.

There is some Herbie Hancock, Jewel, Marcus Miller, Chieftans w/ Roger Daltry, Ambrosia etc.

My computer's power supply gave up this morning ,so I had to go out and get a new one and replace it. NOW I am finally going to be able to start building cables today :banghead:

MaxCast

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2003, 08:48 pm »
Thanks Wayne.
Another question, where do you recommend trying the in-line bybees first?  Can it be used with any RCA connection (digital, after CD analogue, after preamp)?
I'm making a list as to what order I'm going to try all the items in the pack and the in-line bybees are second on my list.

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2003, 09:42 pm »
The inline Bybee's CAN be used in any RCA connection.

I noticed a BIG difference in the digital connection.

I would suggest trying one right at the input of the DI/O first.

Then add the second one at the output of your CD player keeping the first one on the DI/O.

Then try both of them on the input to your preamp. Finally, try them on the input to the Stratos.

Let us know what place you like the Bybee's best.

I was using the pair I sent along on the audition pack in my HT on the digital line. After I pulled them out, I found the sound to be rather harsh in comparison. I just had to make another pair to replace the ones I sent to you 8)

I have also put a pair of Bybee Speaker Purifiers on the 626Rs. VERY NICE. I will now have to build another one for the LRC. :lol:

MaxCast

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2003, 02:05 am »
Thanks Wayne.  Now, how long do I get to keep this box of fun?  5 weeks? :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2003, 05:44 am »
Quote from: MaxCast
Thanks Wayne.  Now, how long do I get to keep this box of fun?  5 weeks? :lol:
        FIVE WEEKS !! WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY !!!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Question for Wayne: How many people have signed up to the audition  the Mensa DI/O ?

Wayne1

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2003, 12:41 pm »
A total of nine folks have signed up as of this morning.

I would request that the length of time one has the pack be kept to somewhere between a week and a week and a half.

I would hope that would be a reasonable amount of time to complete your listening sessions.

MacCast,

One other thing. Make sure you let the DI/O have signal and power for about an hour before you listen too crictically. The power supply caps will need a little time to get charged back up after their journey to you.

MaxCast

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jun 2003, 02:02 pm »

MacCast,

One other thing. Make sure you let the DI/O have signal and power for about an hour before you listen too crictically. The power supply caps will need a little time to get charged back up after their journey to you.

Will do.  

I will send it to the next person on 6-23-03, that gives me 11 nights and two weekends.  Does it have to be sent via. FedEx or will UPS do?

Wayne1

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jun 2003, 02:42 pm »
I will send it to the next person on 6-23-03, that gives me 11 nights and two weekends. Does it have to be sent via. FedEx or will UPS do?

Whatever works best for you. I use FedEx Ground on heavier items because they are usually less expensive and seem to take better care of the packages.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2003, 05:06 am »
A total of nine folks have signed up as of this morning."                                      With all the equipement that comes with the audition pack,the Mensa dac,power cords ,interconnects,bybees,cd of music, I would of thought more people would have signed on. :?  With over 1000 users on this site, and all the buzz about these products :o ,and for the cost of postage,you can try things out right in your own system - " Hey Folks. break out your piggy banks and give this audition a shot !! What have you got to lose?? :?  :?  :?

duff138

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2003, 04:45 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
A total of nine folks have signed up as of this morning."                                      With all the equipement that comes with the audition pack,the Mensa dac,power cords ,interconnects,bybees,cd of music, I would of thought more people would have signed on. :?  With over 1000 users on this site, and all the buzz about these products :o ,and for the cost of postage,you can try things out right in your own system - " Hey Folks. break out your piggy banks and give this audition a shot !! What have you got to lose?? :?  :?  :?

I'm moving in July, but once I settle in I plan to get ther audition pack.  I'm very interested in checking out the DI/O and other goodies.