What OLIVE dont want you to know about the OPUS....

95bcwh

Re: What OLIVE dont want you to know about the OPUS....
« Reply #60 on: 28 Jul 2006, 02:04 am »
Huh... why all of a sudden you guys are launching personal attack on people? :scratch:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #61 on: 28 Jul 2006, 02:10 am »
I wonder how digital out from Opus really is.  Olive may have calculated that by hiring RA and having them create a really good internal DAC would obviate the use of an external unit.  For the price I certainly would expect a good DAC, which renders jitter performance on SPDIF out almost moot.  On the other hand, I would be concerned about heat dissipation on the harddrive.  In a sealed enclosure I would hope that there is a good heat sink that keeps the temperature on the HD reasonable.  I would hate to lose the HD since I have not heard that there is a way to back up the disk as of yet.  For those of you with an Olive unit, how hot do they get?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #62 on: 28 Jul 2006, 02:22 am »
Huh... why all of a sudden you guys are launching personal attack on people? :scratch:

I don't think most people are attacking Anthony, they are just having a little fun at his expense.  Anthony is great at ripping apart gear and figuring out how to make it better, but at times he can get a little too spirited and carried away.

I have learned though that if he thinks something is wrong, there probably is a real issue.

George

MauiMods

« Reply #63 on: 28 Jul 2006, 02:31 am »

I don't think most people are attacking Anthony, they are just having a little fun at his expense.  Anthony is great at ripping apart gear and figuring out how to make it better, but at times he can get a little too spirited and carried away.

I have learned though that if he thinks something is wrong, there probably is a real issue.

George
:wink:

MauiMods

« Reply #64 on: 28 Jul 2006, 02:33 am »
I wonder how digital out from Opus really is.  Olive may have calculated that by hiring RA and having them create a really good internal DAC would obviate the use of an external unit.  For the price I certainly would expect a good DAC, which renders jitter performance on SPDIF out almost moot.  On the other hand, I would be concerned about heat dissipation on the harddrive.  In a sealed enclosure I would hope that there is a good heat sink that keeps the temperature on the HD reasonable.  I would hate to lose the HD since I have not heard that there is a way to back up the disk as of yet.  For those of you with an Olive unit, how hot do they get?

They claim; threw the USB, they can back up the HD.
But, keep in mind.... 101% of the responces from the sales group, was wrong.

MauiMods

« Reply #65 on: 28 Jul 2006, 02:38 am »

Barry,
This is an audio forum. It's the Norm....... :duel: :duel:

CornellAlum

« Reply #66 on: 28 Jul 2006, 02:49 am »
Not around here so much :nono: :thumb:

MaxCast

« Reply #67 on: 28 Jul 2006, 02:57 am »
That's it??

Where can I download that telephone conversation?  I need more.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #68 on: 28 Jul 2006, 03:06 am »
 For those of you with an Olive unit, how hot do they get?

I have worked on quite a few Symphony and Musica units for my customers.  Their hard drives get warm, but really not that warm.  I have also seen different brands of hard drives used on both units (e.g. Seagate, Hitachi, Maxtor).  Maybe others have had different experiences with different brands of HDs... that is very possible.  Both of these Olive units do not use a fan and are power efficient (drawing about 15W, which isn't much).  When powered by a 12V SLA, they draw ~ 1amp during use, which is close to what the SB2/SB3 draws and those do not have ventilation and are packing in a much smaller enclosure!

As for backing up the internal hard drivek, you can copy all of the music and transfer it to an external USB drive.  I have done this and it works.  I've owned my Symphony since November of 2005 and it is SOLID.  I use it every day and haven't had a problem with it. 

As for attacks on Anthony, I think people here are just really confused with the big change in his attitude about Jeff at RA.... now saying that Jeff is "great people, and a friend." 

Regarding this thread and all that has been said, just remember that there are always two sides to a coin.  Are we all getting to read both sides?  NO, and after reading it over again, I am actually surprised that it wasn't locked or deleted.  This is a nasty one  :thumbdown:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #69 on: 28 Jul 2006, 03:07 am »
Not around here so much :nono: :thumb:

Damn straight.... this isn't Audio Salem with witch burnings every other post! 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #70 on: 28 Jul 2006, 03:11 am »
For those of you with an Olive unit, how hot do they get?

I have worked on quite a few Symphony and Musica units for my customers.  Their hard drives get warm, but really not that warm.  I have also seen different brands of hard drives used on both units (e.g. Seagate, Hitachi, Maxtor).  Maybe others have had different experiences with different brands of HDs... that is very possible.  Both of these Olive units do not use a fan and are power efficient (drawing about 15W, which isn't much).  When powered by a 12V SLA, they draw ~ 1amp during use, which is close to what the SB2/SB3 draws and those do not have ventilation and are packing in a much smaller enclosure!

As for backing up the internal hard drivek, you can copy all of the music and transfer it to an external USB drive.  I have done this and it works.  I've owned my Symphony since November of 2005 and it is SOLID.  I use it every day and haven't had a problem with it. 

As for attacks on Anthony, I think people here are just really confused with the big change in his attitude about Jeff at RA.... now saying that Jeff is "great people, and a friend." 

Regarding this thread and all that has been said, just remember that there are always two sides to a coin.  Are we all getting to read both sides?  NO, and after reading it over again, I am actually surprised that it wasn't locked or deleted.  This is a nasty one  :thumbdown:

Vinnie,

I have been watching (and posting) this thread and I did come close to locking it, but left it alone to see where it ended up.

I agree that there are always two sides to everything. 

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #71 on: 28 Jul 2006, 03:26 am »
And Everybody Lived Happily Ever After ......... :scratch:

MauiMods

« Reply #72 on: 28 Jul 2006, 06:59 am »
George, Do not lock thread or delete it. Jeff or Opus may want to Comment.
It would be only fair.

Jdubs, fredgarvin, cornellalum; your comments to this issue is not appreciated. This is my Coin Olive is playing with. The Coin Amount is over $7k.

In all honesty, Jeff is a third party.  He was a sub-contractor for Olive. Ultimately, Olive is the sole responsible Party. Jeff was more than helpfull in many ways. Jeff does not make any decisions for Olive or is he required.
If the PC boards in the opus did not bear his companies name, his name would never been brought up in this thread.  Resolution Audio is Jeff's company. It is a separate entirety alltogether.

I would like to presents these questions to Robert Altmann Of Olive Media Products Inc. On the Behalf of the owners, and potential owners of the Olive Opus. These question will be forward via email, directly to Robert Altmann.

Questions rearding the Opus data sheet:
1) Explain the "Innovative cooling concept"?

2) The data sheet stresses the effects of Jitter, Being the most Decisive factor. If that is the case, Why does the SPIDF output contain Massive Jitter?

3) Can you provide independent lab measurements of the OPUS? How about the Jitter measurement at the SPIF output?

4) What is the temperature of inside the unit, after an hour? and six hours?

5) Can you provide the Specsheets, of the analog output Regulators, Showing these are "linear" regulators"?

6) Please Identify the "power efficient components" that are used.

7) Matt your salesperson, Said I should be able to install a 750g hd, the OPUS, and use the recovery CD to Format and install the operating system.
Why did he failed to mention, if unit was opened warranty is voided.
Can you show that clause in your warranty documentation? Do you have warning stickers mentioning this? Can you explain why the restore disk does not work?

8 ) How is the quality of the ADC? Can you provide Specs? how about Jitter specs?

9) can you provide the specs for your "Ultra-low jitter master clock"

Looking forward to your answers.

Pretender

« Reply #73 on: 28 Jul 2006, 10:53 am »
Can someone confirm for me that if the SPIDF output is not used, that the massive amounts of jitter would be a non-issue?

Thanks!

gostan

« Reply #74 on: 28 Jul 2006, 11:13 am »
It seems to me that the end result of all of this back and forth information is that Olive either imports or purchases the Musica and Symphony from Hermstedt from Germany.  The Opus is a Musica that is modded by Olive and Resolution Audio.

This is all well and fine.  I was ready to jump on a Musica and mate it with a separate DAC.  But, before I would ever do so, I would expect Olive to answer/resond to MM's and others questions.  I have had issues this year with new products from Bryston and Anthem.  We use individual audio and video components, but it is ultimately the Company that we are purchasing.  Olive is a relatively new player in the marketplace.  So, for me, Olive's products will be off limits for me (and many others) until there are some real answers about the Opus and some substantiation of whether their Opus product and Olive's advertising is real or hype. 

All of this causes me to wonder why Hermstedt has never added a larger harddrive or other audio DAC board(s) to their Hifidelio products.  Is anybody fluent in German? :dunno: 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #75 on: 28 Jul 2006, 11:49 am »
Where is Florian when you need him?  He could have translated for us to solve this riddle! :o :lol: 8)

So could Peter from AR but he has his own digital system.  BTW have you seen his Ciaccona?  Looks interesting.

ZLS

« Reply #76 on: 28 Jul 2006, 11:55 am »
Gostan,

I agree with your analysis.  The revelations of the past several days does not reflect well on the Olive company.  However, I am a owner of a Musica that has been modified by Red Wine Audio.  I find the sound superior to that of a modded Squeeze Box.  
    If I am going to pay extra to buy a modded unit I will choose who will modify it.  Olive should have fully disclosed the history and creation of the Opus.  It is not a question of whether or not they are legally bound to do so, but rather simply that of good business pratices.  
    I would state this- If an Olive or Symphony or Musica is modded, it nullifies Olive's warrenty.  Therefore a prospective purchaser must have confidence in the modder's warrenty.  
    Do not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  The modded Symphony and Musica is a superior sounding product.  

ZLS

leahy582000

« Reply #77 on: 28 Jul 2006, 11:56 am »
I haven't done business with MauiMods, but if this expose is intended to boost MauiMods' image as a professional audio company, I think it has failed.

Confusing to read and poorly written, this report lacks credulity.

tvad4,
since you are pointing out others flaws, i thought i would ask if your credibility is compromised since you spelled credibility wrong yourself ??? you want to ignore the real message over the way something was written.
i have done business with MAUIMODS and one thing they are not out for is SELF PROMOTION. they are after the truth and this really showed  by identifying a major flaw in the opus. it now appears that this flaw was known by the company and others. it was decided to be concealed from the consumer. i believe we should be grateful that a company like MAUIMODS informed everyone of this, before many of the opus units were sold.

regards

bill

gitarretyp

« Reply #78 on: 28 Jul 2006, 01:26 pm »
I haven't done business with MauiMods, but if this expose is intended to boost MauiMods' image as a professional audio company, I think it has failed.

Confusing to read and poorly written, this report lacks credulity.

tvad4,
since you are pointing out others flaws, i thought i would ask if your credibility is compromised since you spelled credibility wrong yourself ??? you want to ignore the real message over the way something was written.
i have done business with MAUIMODS and one thing they are not out for is SELF PROMOTION. they are after the truth and this really showed  by identifying a major flaw in the opus. it now appears that this flaw was known by the company and others. it was decided to be concealed from the consumer. i believe we should be grateful that a company like MAUIMODS informed everyone of this, before many of the opus units were sold.

regards

bill

Um...you may want to grab a dictionary and look-up credulity.

kbuzz3

« Reply #79 on: 28 Jul 2006, 01:49 pm »
This is the best thread ive read in a long long time.  Open no holds barred debate on a significant new product (trend). Dont lock it.  this is 2what these forums should be about -absent insults and name calling. (See rec audio for that). Plus its not an argument over some esoterica like audiophile fuses.  Its real, its funny, its good, its amusing, its involves educated posting and its healthy for the community.

I havent had this much fun since that guy opened up the magic "boxes" on those speaker cables!!!

now if some one buys my modded dyna sca 35 i can get an olive an open it up for myself...but thats another story