Latest Amplifier Builds

Kevin Haskins

Latest Amplifier Builds
« on: 27 Jul 2006, 12:09 am »
The new parts for the next revision of the Exodus Amplifiers are slowly coming available.   I've been slow to post information simply because I've been waiting for parts that where literally on the slow boat from China.    :roll:

Anyway... I've got a few small parts to scrounge up and lots of work to do on documentation.   The new kits will be available soon though and feature two through five channel options.   

New features:

• New Larger Chassis with better ventilation, improved mounting configuration and fancier front facia.
  • New Hypex Designed five channel power supply with DC Protection, soft recovery diodes and up to 10,000uF of Panasonic TSHA capacitance.
  • New Exodus Softstart
  • New modular Exodus mounting plate & heatsinks (they look cool and make install a breeze)
  • Latest Hypex Upgrades to the UCD modules
  • Custom Exodus Transformers that are REALLY nice.
  • Updated option for remote turn on/off via 12V relay.   

Overall I'm pretty jazzed.   I built a this four channel amp with the new parts and it is huge step forward in terms of ease of construction and overall final looks.  Another bonus is that if you ever wanted to add another couple modules (up to five) all you have to do is pop in a couple more caps, mount the modules and install a new rear panel with appropriate connectors.   

Notice that extra space in the rear?   :D  I'm going to put it to use! 

Double Ugly

Re: Latest Amplifier Builds
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2006, 12:15 am »
That's a sweet looking amp, Kevin.  If you ever want another data point, I'd be happy to compare them with my Butler Monads via SP Technology speakers.  I have a hunch things might be closer than one would suspect.

Congrats on what I'm sure will be a big winner for you.

-Jim

abekinney

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2006, 01:47 am »
Looks great... Do you have a ballpark price you are shooting for?
-ak

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2006, 02:38 am »
Looks great... Do you have a ballpark price you are shooting for?
-ak

There are a lot of options so a range is more appropriate.   The very most basic 2-channel UCD180ST build will probably land around $650.   I've not finalized all my part spreadsheets so that may change a little.    The very most expensive fully loaded 5-channel UCD400AD build with all the goodies will be around $1800.   

These where designed mainly as a kit but I'll assemble them on a case by case situation.   Labor varies based upon the complexity of the build.   Obviously it doesn't take as much time to build a 2-channel as it does a full Monty 5-channel.    Until we get all the details worked out just call or email and we can quote you on the labor.

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2006, 03:46 am »
Kevin

That amp looks really terrific!  :green:  I love the modularity.

Jim 

brj

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2006, 04:06 am »
I agree, the modularity is a great feature, and it is a nice looking unit!

A few quick questions...

1) What was updates were made to the Hypex modules themselves?

2) How big is the toroid (kVa)?

3) The layout looks fairly straightforward... are we talking novice level skills for assembly, or a bit more?

Thanks!

ibilisi

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2006, 04:43 am »
That amp looks very clean!

I guess the only question I have is about that single (aluminum?) plate that the modules are attaching to.  How hot would that plate get under load of say 5x UCD180 modules?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2006, 04:48 am »

A few quick questions...

1) What was updates were made to the Hypex modules themselves?

You know I've lost track of all the changes Hypex has made over time.   They are constantly doing revisions which can be both good and bad.  ;-)   Most of the changes are small, biasing op amps into Class A, small PCB changes and occasionally a component part change.   They are the normal things you do with any design when  you are learning things from production/feedback.

2) How big is the toroid (kVa)?

The UCD400 transformer is 1KVA with dual 40V secondaries, a 15V-0-15V secondary for the low voltage regulated supply and a 0-15V for possible future use.   The UCD180 transformer is 630VA.   Both have a Gauss shield and a copper shield between primaries and secondaries.   Both are potted in the center for easy/secure mounting.

3) The layout looks fairly straightforward... are we talking novice level skills for assembly, or a bit more?

These are about as easy as it gets.   You do need the normal skills of using a VM and basic comfort with electrical things but the labor is mainly mounting parts, cutting and crimping cable, and general assembly.   The only soldering is on the rear inputs and the LED.   Other than that it all bolts together.   The manual (when it is done) will be online in PDF form so you can evaluate the assembly difficulty before making the plunge.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2006, 04:49 am »

I guess the only question I have is about that single (aluminum?) plate that the modules are attaching to.  How hot would that plate get under load of say 5x UCD180 modules?

It barely gets warm.   The UCD400s are another matter.   That is why we have a heatsink extrusion for the UCD400 builds because five of them with tons of EQ will get hot after running them continuously for a couple days.    :o

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2006, 05:02 am »
This amp is very well designed and built, what else can you say, congratulations

cheers

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2006, 03:38 pm »

Here are a few pictures showing what I'm talking about.

The aluminum plate you refer to is what we call the adaptor plate.   It serves two purposes.  First, to mount the modules and second to act as a heat spreader transferring some of the thermal energy to the steel chassis (or heatsinks).     

Unfortunately Hypex didn't standardize the hole mounting pattern so we have two different mounting patterns.   Our adaptor plate is universal so it works with either UCD400 or UCD180.

Here is the UCD400 pattern.

Here is the UCD180.

In the UCD180 builds the aluminum adaptor plate and the chassis is all you need to dissipate heat.   The five channel UCD180 builds run very cool and using the heatsinks was a waste of space and money.   The UCD400 puts out a lot more heat though and our five channel builds needed additional cooling.   

You will notice we use the same aluminum adaptor plate but now the modules mount in a different orientation and we have two heatsink extrusions that mount to the adaptor plate.   You only need one heatsink for 2 & 3 channel UCD400 builds and two of them for UCD400 4 & 5 channel builds.   They all mount to the same aluminum adaptor plate and they have the same mounting hole pattern to fasten them to the bottom of the chassis. 

With the adaptor plate and our custom heatsink extrusion mounting the modules and fastening the entire assembly to the chassis only takes minutes.   It used to take hours to drill & mount modules when we where doing it on a custom chassis.   You don't appreciate these things until you have lived without them.  :-)

ibilisi

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2006, 04:15 pm »
Thanks for the information and the great visuals Kevin!

Ad-Rock

« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2006, 06:34 pm »
Kevin, that looks absolutely fabulous.  Clean and lean!  I spoke to you on the phone a month or so ago, glad to see how far you've come.  You may find these threads interesting, I've been talking you up a good bit:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=17744#post17744

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=594707&page=6&pp=30

Talk to you soon, and congrats again.

Best,
Adam

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2006, 12:07 am »
Hey... thanks for the plug.    We are on target to release next week.   For people looking for assembled products give me a call quick.   I'm on a first come first serve basis.

Pricing is as follows:

2-Channel UCD180: $650  (with Hypex ST Supply and UCD180ST modules and softstart)
3-Channel UCD180: $905  (with UCD180ST & Exodus MCH Supply + softstart)
4-Channel UCD180: $1025  (with UCD180ST & Exodus MCH Supply + softstart)
5-Channel UCD180: $1140 (with UCD180ST & Exodus MCH Supply + softstart)

The UCD180AD adds $35 per channel.

The UCD400 builds will be as follows:

2-Channel UCD400:  $795 (With Exodus MCH Supply + softstart)
3-Channel UCD400:  $990 (With Exodus MCH Supply + softstart)
4-Channel UCD400:  $1175 (With Exodus MCH Supply + softstart)
5-Channel UCD400:  $1360 (With Exodus MCH Supply + softstart)

The UCD400AD adds $35 per channel.   One other option with the UCD400 is that I'll wire the opamp buffer for use with the 12V regulated power supply for $35 per module.   This is not an option with the UCD180s.

I'm already running low on UCD400 transformers so if you want one you better be quick.   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2006, 03:13 am »
Forgot to mention.... these are kit prices.    The assembled price is about an extra $150/channel.   There is some variation on assembled prices based upon what you want so the best way to get a quote is to email me.

Lead time will vary based upon how busy I am.   

klh

« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2006, 05:51 am »
Lookin' good :D.

StevenACNJ

« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2006, 10:22 am »
Kevin,

You wrote: "One other option with the UCD400 is that I'll wire the opamp buffer for use with the 12V regulated power supply for $35 per module"

Can you give us your opinion as to what sonic benefits result from the above option?

Thanks

Ad-Rock

« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2006, 01:51 pm »
Sweetness Kevin!  Put aside a 5-ch 400AD setup for me now please, I'll call you soon to firm up details.  If this goes well, you can expect mucho free publicity and a long review from me, since when I'm happy, I tend to write voluminously.  :-)

Is the PDF manual available for download yet?

I have that .999% hesitancy still in putting together myself, though I think it's a challenge I'm up to.

Stupid noob question: Im not going to shock myself installing things if I don't plug in the power until the last minute, right?  (I.E. the caps won't be charged out of the box, right?)

Best,
Adam

kfr01

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2006, 05:47 pm »
Looks pretty amazing, Kevin.  Keep up the great work!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2006, 06:01 pm »
Kevin,

You wrote: "One other option with the UCD400 is that I'll wire the opamp buffer for use with the 12V regulated power supply for $35 per module"

Can you give us your opinion as to what sonic benefits result from the above option?

Thanks

You know I was dubious that it would make any difference.   I've not done any blind testing but the "seat of the pants" impression that it brings out more of the low-level detail.       

That is as subjective as a get....  I guess I could have said it "lifts veils".   :)