Looking for a good 50" Plasma display for $4-6K

Levi

« on: 13 Jun 2006, 03:44 pm »
I am in the market for a good 50" Plasma display THIS WEEKEND.  I like Pioneer Elite, Fujitsu and Runco.  Panasonic seems to be running with the big boys and cost 2k less.  

It looks like the prices has come down and now most claimed a 90,000hr half life.  

Has anyone been there?

PhilNYC

« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2006, 04:16 pm »
I recommend the Panasonic without hesitation.  My understanding (and this might be old info, but it was true in 2004) is that Panasonic provides most of the major components to Fujitsu for all of their plasmas larger than 42".  Runco is a re-badged Pioneer.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2006, 04:46 pm »
Levi,

While I don't know your situation and system needs, at $6k you are dangerously close to the 61" Pioneer (should be avaialble for $6600 or so)

Logistically it "IS" a different animal, but if you want theater, it is a nice step up and makes 50" look a little small.

Just a possible option for not too much more (relatively) :mrgreen:

BrassEar

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2006, 05:46 pm »
Big bucks - go Pioneer. A friend has one and it is clearly better than the Panny.

Having said that I am thrilled with my 50-inch Panny and really have no lust for the Pioneer.

The Pannys are still the best bang for buck in Plasma, hands down.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2006, 06:16 pm »
Quote from: BrassEar
Big bucks - go Pioneer. A friend has one and it is clearly better than the Panny.

Having said that I am thrilled with my 50-inch Panny and really have no lust for the Pioneer.

The Pannys are still the best bang for buck in Plasma, hands down.

Not sure about the Pioneer being clearly better than the Panny.

Check this out:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/panasonic-th50phd7uy-review.html

None of the Pioneer models have as high a rating as the Panny.

Plus the Panny is significantly cheaper.

George

jermmd

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2006, 06:23 pm »
Here's a good HD ready plasma for under $2000. Plus, you get the unbeatable Costco return policy. I realize that the Vizio isn't 1080P but it's very well reviewed and you can't do better for the price. Save yourself some money for other toys or future upgrades. You can buy 3 of these for your budget.    I forgot to mention that it's at Costco B&M for $1969 this week.

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2006, 06:47 pm »
Joe,

That's an amazing price for a 50" plasma, and yes, I've heard that the Vizio screens offer very good picture quality (I asked about experiences with Vizio in another thread here on AC).  I was going to go with the 50" Panasonic from Virtual Apax ($2700 for the commercial version with no built-in speakers or tuner), but now you've muddied my decision.... :(

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2006, 06:53 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Joe,

That's an amazing price for a 50" plasma, and yes, I've heard that the Vizio screens offer very good picture quality (I asked about experiences with Vizio in another thread here on AC).  I was going to go with the 50" Panasonic from Virtual Apax ($2700 for the commercial version with no built-in speakers or tuner), but now you've muddied my decision.... :(

Read this review before deciding:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/vizio_plasma_review.html

So unless things improved a lot in the last year, looks like I would rather spend the money for the Panny.

$700 over the next 3-5 years (at least) is not a lot more to spend IMHO.

George

jermmd

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2006, 08:01 pm »
George,

There's a huge thread on AVS here that has pretty mixed reviews and mentions the published reviews. Some people really love their Vizio's and feel the reviews are incorrect. The nice thing about Costco is that if you don't like it, you can return it no questions asked.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2006, 08:06 pm »
Quote from: jermmd
The nice thing about Costco is that if you don't like it, you can return it no questions asked.

Very true Joe.

George

sabes

go pioneer!
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2006, 08:23 pm »
robert57 and i looked at many plasma displays in that price range, including the panasonic onyx, pioneer elite, marantz, fujitsu and hitachi; the pioneer elite was the clear winner. It had better definition, better color saturation, less ghosting/artifacts in moving subjects, and did a better job with non-hd signals. plus, it has the advantage of having one umbilical cord from the set to a proprietary "pre" box, where all the various inputs can be connected out of sight -- essential for wall mount imo. i bought the 50" at tweeter on sale near year-end and have been loving it - no regrets.

MarkM

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2006, 08:36 pm »
I own a Pioneer Elite 42".   Beautiful pic and pleased overall.   My wife liked the looks of the Elite black bezel and speakers, otherwise I would have chosen the Panny and saved $$.

Panny has a solid track record with consistantly improving their products.  Not just on the scene a couple of years like the other cheaper brands.  Imho better to spend on a proven product with a solid track record.

sabes

mjosef

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2006, 11:06 pm »
I have reached a stalemate with regard to my purchase of a plasma set, after much reading over at AVS, I was all set on the NEC42", now 6months later, still no purchase, but I see the prices has dropped considerably, plus some new players in the 42" size I thought I wanted.
Have been looking at the 'new' 42"HP, and it looks really good, comparable to the Panny and Pioneer, for a whole lot less(currently under 1800) .The 50"HP is well under 3K.
I would love to know who make their glass.

PhilNYC

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2006, 11:16 pm »
Is there a big difference between the Pioneer and Pioneer Elite?

MarkM

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2006, 01:09 am »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Is there a big difference between the Pioneer and Pioneer Elite?

At the time I purchased my display, it was black (Elite) or silver (Pioneer)bezel and speakers.  Two year warranty and perhaps a few minor differences.  Overall, essentially the same displays.  My wife liked the looks of the black, sometimes you have to compromise. :lol:

Levi

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2006, 02:17 am »
Excellent links, information and things to consider.  Thanks to all.

I can't say which one I am buying until I get it home.

All I need now is a pickup truck.

mcrespo71

« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2006, 02:27 am »
Quote from: Levi

Isn't that what your Benz SUV is for?

Levi

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2006, 02:59 am »
Hi Mike,
50" Plasma packaging in general are huge and bulky.  I can get it delivered but would rather pick it up locally.  There is a possibility to unbox the unit then it would fit inside the SUV.
Levi
Quote from: mcrespo71

mcrespo71

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jun 2006, 03:14 am »
Hi Mike,
50" Plasma packaging in general are huge and bulky.  I can get it delivered but would rather pick it up locally.  There is a possibility to unbox the unit then it would fit inside the SUV.
Levi
Quote from: mcrespo71

That makes sense-put bling into bling = bling-bling  8)