Looking for a good 50" Plasma display for $4-6K

windwaves

« Reply #20 on: 20 Jun 2006, 11:28 am »
Levi,
are you all done with your purchase ?

If not do consider NEC plasmas as well (I believe they are in that price range) and I just can't stop saying how good they are.  Mine, the 42 HD, is now in its 4th year and continues to amaze me.  The current models are probably just better.  The prob for many with NEC is that it's hard to find them for viewing in a store, but here in NYC there are a couple of places that have them.

ww

Levi

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jun 2006, 01:12 pm »
No not yet.  I decided to wait a little.  There will be newer models coming soon.  

Definitely, the 5th or so generation plasma screens will be better than the previous one.  We like it better that way.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jun 2006, 01:28 pm »
Quote from: Levi
No not yet.  I decided to wait a little.  There will be newer models coming soon.  

Definitely, the 5th or so generation plasma screens will be better than the previous one.  We like it better that way.

And if you wait another year it will be better and cheaper...

Sorry, just had to be a smartass.   :angel:

George

windwaves

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jun 2006, 02:38 pm »
Quote from: zybar

George

thx george, I was just refraining myself :)

Levi, it never hurts to wait, it all depends on how much you really want it !

By the way you do have a 42" now , don't you ?

Levi

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jun 2006, 05:14 pm »
No pun taken.

I figured that when the 1080p display started to proliferate the market, the older model with 1080i max will be cheaper.  I have not seen a true 1080p movies but I am sure it is fantastic!

George

Levi

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jun 2006, 05:22 pm »
Nope.

I have a 53" 3:4 HDTV.
Quote from: windwaves

George

thx george, I was just refraining myself :)

Levi, it never hurts to wait, it all depends on how much you really want it !

By the way you do have a 42" now , don't
 you ?

mca

Re: Looking for a good 50" Plasma display for $4-6K
« Reply #26 on: 2 Jul 2006, 06:19 am »
Just read this review and plan to try and check one out this weekend. Maybe I can find a great fourth of July sale on one.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th50px60u-review.html

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 2 Jul 2006, 06:50 am »
Plasma is not good, dont buy plasma, the thing to buy is a "GOOD" lcd, their picture is way better
than plasma or crt, as a recommendation just look at some SHARP LCDs way better than the rest,
with lcds the trick is quality, with time other brands will improve too

good luck
ps:worth the extra bucks

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 2 Jul 2006, 11:07 am »
Plasma is not good, dont buy plasma, the thing to buy is a "GOOD" lcd, their picture is way better
than plasma or crt, as a recommendation just look at some SHARP LCDs way better than the rest,

good luck

Can you elaborate on why you feel a "good" lcd is better than plasma and crt?

In pretty much all of the published reviews, as well as my own eyes, it is just the opposite.

George

PhilNYC

« Reply #29 on: 2 Jul 2006, 01:21 pm »

good luck

From what I can tell, most people say that if you watch a lot of sports or other things with a lot of fast movement, plasma is better than LCD because of ghosting issues with LCDs.  Also, to get a 50" LCD is pretty expensive, no?

FWIW, I finally took the plunge and ordered a 50" Panasonic plasma from Visual Apex.  It's the commercial version, so no speakers or HD Tuner....am getting DirecTV, so no need for the tuner, and as far as speakers go, I'm using it with my Acoustic Zen Adagios (much better than built-in speakers...!) 8)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 2 Jul 2006, 02:11 pm »
Congrats Phil.

I am sure you will enjoy your new plasma.

To get the most out of it, I would get it professionally calibrated. 

George

95bcwh

« Reply #31 on: 2 Jul 2006, 02:29 pm »
Good choice...

I had the impression that you'd perhaps taken far too much time to pull the trigger, for relatively little money (compared to the high end audio gears you own), and for the Panny which happens to be the out-right winner in the market.

Such is the audiophile mentality.. :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #32 on: 2 Jul 2006, 03:04 pm »

Yep, for sure...

I had the impression that you'd perhaps taken far too much time to pull the trigger, for relatively little money (compared to the high end audio gears you own), and for the Panny which happens to be the out-right winner in the market.

Such is the audiophile mentality..

I had actually made my mind up about the Panny a while ago, but then discovered much on forums that had Pioneer as the "clear winner" for only $100-200 more...so that became a source of angst for me.  In the end, I decided to "go with what you know" (I already own a Panny 42" etv plasma).

Levi, on the other hand, is still waiting to pull the trigger.... :P

Levi

« Reply #33 on: 2 Jul 2006, 03:18 pm »
Congrats Phil.  

Levi

« Reply #34 on: 2 Jul 2006, 03:30 pm »
Panasonic seems to have excellent reputation and likely to have the best bang for the money.  Last night (Saturday), we went to BestBuy and bought a Panasonic Model: TH-50PX60U with extended warranty.  $2,999.99 is a good buy correct? 

Today (Sunday) I just took delivery of a Panasonic 50" Plasma TH-50PX60U.  I just hooked it up and may need some calibration.  Out of the box, it boots up into Vivid mode and sharpness is maxed.  A quick setup to cinema mode put the picture back to tolerable levels.  Overall it is an excellent plasma TV.  A definite upgrade to my 53" Sony rear projection HDTV.  Trust me, the difference is not subtle.

I have not exceeded my budget limit but surely when you add everything it surely is at the limit:  Taxes, delivery, extended warranty and stand (Salamander Synergy Triple 20) it surely becomes expensive.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: 2 Jul 2006, 05:16 pm by Levi »

95bcwh

« Reply #35 on: 2 Jul 2006, 06:44 pm »

Where can you find such "professional"? I mean, a trust-worthy one :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 2 Jul 2006, 07:03 pm »
http://www.imagingscience.com/

There has also been numerous posts here on AC about great experiences with specific technicians.

George

Levi

« Reply #37 on: 8 Jul 2006, 03:20 pm »
I am still waiting to get my plasma Pro calibrated.  I used Avia and Joe Kane calibration DVDs for now. 
The channel on the screen is a regular broadcast from Time Warner Cable.
Thanks again for the input.

Before

After

I know, it still needs work.  All the components are inside the Salamander AV stand.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2006, 03:54 pm by Levi »